TSA Approved luggage locks and European Airports

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:46 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default TSA Approved luggage locks and European Airports

Brian wrote:

My luggage is about to travel through Heathrow and Schiphol airports.
I haven't been over since the new TSA-access locks were released for
the United States. Does anybody know if security organizations at
these 2 large European hubs are able to access the new TSA-approved
locks?

Isn't it only American airports that are so paranoid?

Old July 24th, 2004, 10:14 PM
tim

Brian wrote:

My luggage is about to travel through Heathrow and Schiphol airports.
I haven't been over since the new TSA-access locks were released for
the United States. Does anybody know if security organizations at
these 2 large European hubs are able to access the new TSA-approved
locks?

Isn't it only American airports that are so paranoid?

It must be.

I was at MAD a few weeks ago. I was intreagued by the stall
that 'wrapped' luggage in cling film and wondered who would
use this, perhaps people checking lose 'boxes'.

And then I noticed that a good 30% of the luggage being
checked-in was so wrapped, including some fairly substantial
suitcases. The chances of anyone getting these cases open
without notice is remote. There must be a very high risk
of theft for people to do this. I'm wondering where this risk
is?

As usual, I travelled with carry on only.

tim

Old July 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Sjoerd

"Brian" schreef in bericht
om...
My luggage is about to travel through Heathrow and Schiphol airports.
I haven't been over since the new TSA-access locks were released for
the United States. Does anybody know if security organizations at
these 2 large European hubs are able to access the new TSA-approved
locks?

At any airport where people use their brains instead of following
instructions of an idiotic government, luggage is _x-ray'ed_ not
_vandalised_. So no worries with your Heathrow and Schiphol transfers, they
will x-ray your bags but - unless they find something very suspicious- will
not want to open them. I travel from / to Schiphol about twice a month,
mostly with checked luggage that I lock, and I have never had a problem with
damaged bags.

Sjoerd

Old July 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM

Brian wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in message ...

Isn't it only American airports that are so paranoid?

No. A lot of airports are paranoid. The last 2 times through
Schiphol I had my luggage X-rayed before handing it over to an airline
agent. Same thing in London. If you want to see paranoid, fly into
Tel Aviv sometime!

Oh, X-raying, yes - that's been going on for a long, long time - but
nowhere except in the U.S. have I had my cases opened before being
allowed on my flight. (No one thinks luggage locks provide any REAL
security for one's belongings, but at least they prevent the cases from
opening by accident and strewing stuff across the tarmack, en route to
the luggage hold.)

Old July 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Rita wrote:

Why all the complaining? Does anyone really believe that airport
security should be less than it is? I think it should be much
tighter than it is in many places.

Not "less secure", just less obvious. In the U.S. they seem more
concerned with APPEARING to be enforcing stricter security - other
countries manage to be just as strict (or more so), without
inconveniencing passengers so much in the process. (But then, far too
much of our American culture is based upon appearances rather than
reality, isn't it?)