Director Kevin Smith Kicked Off Southwest Flight for 'Being Fat'

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Ragnar[_2_]

Default Director Kevin Smith Kicked Off Southwest Flight for 'Being Fat'

On Feb 16, 1:57*am, DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-
wrote:
In message "Cellulite Damage"
was claimed to have wrote:

"The pilot reportedly said Smith was a "safety risk" because he was unable
to put down the armrest. "

The reports seem to be inconsistent, the first couple articles I read
quoted Kevin as saying he had his seat-belt on and the armrests were
down.

http://snarkfood.com/southwest-apolo...-kevin-smith-t...
quotes his twitter feed which indicates the armrests were down, as well
as the following:

| Smith responded by insisting he was able to lower both arm-rests and
|fit just fine in his seat. He challenged the airline to bring a row of
|seats to him for a public fit test.
|
| “If I don’t fit, I’ll donate $10k (£6,380) to charity of your choice,”
|Smith said. “But when I do (& buckle the belt as well) 1) You admit you
|lied. 2) Change your policy, or at least re-train your staff to be a lot
|more human & a lot less corporate.”

If this is true and he can indeed lower the armrests and buckle the
seat belt then it’s just another case of discrimination by South West
and the actions of an overly zealous flight crew.
Ragnar
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Ragnar[_2_]

was claimed to have wrote:

"The pilot reportedly said Smith was a "safety risk" because he was
unable to put down the armrest. "

The reports seem to be inconsistent, the first couple articles I read
quoted Kevin as saying he had his seat-belt on and the armrests were
down.

The other articles were quoting Kevin Smith and fat people tend to be
liars. *Believe the captain of the plane.

--

So you are saying that a person’s capacity for telling the truth is
directly related to their weight? Maybe you could provide some

Ragnar
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
CliffB

was claimed to have wrote:

"The pilot reportedly said Smith was a "safety risk" because he was unable
to put down the armrest. "

The reports seem to be inconsistent, the first couple articles I read
quoted Kevin as saying he had his seat-belt on and the armrests were
down.

http://snarkfood.com/southwest-apolo...-kevin-smith-t...
quotes his twitter feed which indicates the armrests were down, as well
as the following:

| Smith responded by insisting he was able to lower both arm-rests and
|fit just fine in his seat. He challenged the airline to bring a row of
|seats to him for a public fit test.
|
| “If I don’t fit, I’ll donate $10k (£6,380) to charity of your choice,”
|Smith said. “But when I do (& buckle the belt as well) 1) You admit you
|lied. 2) Change your policy, or at least re-train your staff to be a lot
|more human & a lot less corporate.”

If this is true and he can indeed lower the armrests and buckle the
seat belt then it’s just another case of discrimination by South West
and the actions of an overly zealous flight crew.
Ragnar

It wasn't necessarily only the weight issue but where his colostomy
bag would be stored as once he was shoehorned in there would be no
getting him out of his window seat. Could you imagine that enormous
mound of flesh waddling down the aisleway and fitting into the airline
commode?
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Ragnar[_2_]

was claimed to have wrote:

"The pilot reportedly said Smith was a "safety risk" because he was unable
to put down the armrest. "

The reports seem to be inconsistent, the first couple articles I read
quoted Kevin as saying he had his seat-belt on and the armrests were
down.

http://snarkfood.com/southwest-apolo...-kevin-smith-t....
quotes his twitter feed which indicates the armrests were down, as well
as the following:

| Smith responded by insisting he was able to lower both arm-rests and
|fit just fine in his seat. He challenged the airline to bring a row of
|seats to him for a public fit test.
|
| “If I don’t fit, I’ll donate $10k (£6,380) to charity of your choice,”
|Smith said. “But when I do (& buckle the belt as well) 1) You admit you
|lied. 2) Change your policy, or at least re-train your staff to be a lot
|more human & a lot less corporate.”

If this is true and he can indeed lower the armrests and buckle the
seat belt then it’s just another case of discrimination by South West
and the actions of an overly zealous flight crew.
Ragnar

It wasn't necessarily only the weight issue but where his colostomy
bag would be stored as once he was shoehorned in there would be no
getting him out of his window seat. Could you imagine that enormous
mound of flesh waddling down the aisleway and fitting into the airline
commode?- Hide quoted text -

Did I miss something where does it say that he had a colostomy?

Btw, I can imagine that mound of flesh waddling down the aisle and
fitting into the airline commode. Numerous fat people do it everyday
on commercial flights, and with little or no problems. Imagine that!
Those that are too big for the bathroom are rarely a problem as they
generally know they are too big for the accommodations and avoid the
in-flight bathroom if they can help it.

Ragnar
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Joan[_2_]

Lady Veteran wrote:

OK NAAFA-you know what you need to do. Get busy.

NAAFA called for a boycott of SWA years ago and SWA has been the only
consistently profitable airline since then. What does that tell you
about the clout of NAAFA?

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
James Robinson

DevilsPGD wrote:

James Robinson was claimed to have wrote:

"Mr. Goodfat" wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/features/odd-...th,0,3607084.s
tory

None of the comments I've read support his position. People more or
less say that since he is fat, which he readily acknowledes, he
should be ready to accept the consequences.

About the only argument he has is that the airline hasn't been
consistent, as they have regularly let him fly with only one seat
reservation in the past.

While he *is* fat (a trait he and I share), assuming he fits between
the armrests with the armrests all the way down (another train he and
I share), what's the problem?

I spent a very uncomfortable flight in a window seat jammed between the
fuselage wall and a very overweight person in the middle seat. He may
have been able to get the armrests down at the lower level, but his
middle expended well beyond the armrests, taking up perhaps 1/4 of my
seat space. There wasn't a moment during the flight when my arm weren't
in firm contact with his.

I don't consider that simply getting the armrests down covers every
situation.

Luckily, it was a relatively short flight.

The point of my earlier post was simply that Smith wasn't getting a very
sympathetic reaction from commentators. He has an uphill battle if he
thinks people will boycott the airline because of the way he was treated.
Maybe a few like you might, but other airlines have similar policies, so
the same thing can happen with the alternatives.
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Sam[_10_]

Ragnar wrote:

Those that are too big for the bathroom are rarely a problem as they
generally know they are too big for the accommodations and avoid the
in-flight bathroom if they can help it.

Like your wife?

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air,alt.comedy.standup,rec.arts.movies.current-films
CliffB

On Feb 16, 3:14*pm, "Sam" wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Those that are too big for the bathroom are rarely a problem as they
generally know they are too big for the accommodations and avoid the
in-flight bathroom if they can help it.

Like your wife?

--

So I suppose Smith and other Enormo's like him just wear a diaper and
relieve themselves right in the seat. Wonderful. If Smith's arms can't
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Herman

"Lady Veteran" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:15:13 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Sancho Panza writes:

I see, he wanted some publicity for his next film....

Fat celebrities deserve the same treatment that any other fat person gets.

The same goes for famous idiots as well.

I'm heartened to see that your therapy seems to be helping you.

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.travel.air
Herman

On Feb 16, 9:47 am, Ragnar wrote:

On Feb 16, 1:57 am, DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-

It wasn't necessarily only the weight issue but where his colostomy
bag would be stored as once he was shoehorned in there would be no
getting him out of his window seat. Could you imagine that enormous
mound of flesh waddling down the aisleway and fitting into the
airline commode?- Hide quoted text -

As opposed to just ****ting in the seat like your wife does?