*Climate meltdown in 10years !

Old September 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default *Climate meltdown in 10years !

Climate meltdown 'in 10 years'

The environment was one of the main subjects at the annual conference
of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in Norwich

A climate change timebomb may be just 10 years away from detonating,
according to the latest evidence of global warming.
Data from a deep ice core drilled out of the Antarctic reveals a
shocking rate of change in carbon dioxide concentrations.
The core, stretching through layers dating back 800,000 years, contains
tiny bubbles of ancient air that can be analysed.
Scientists who studied the samples found they left no doubt as to the
extent of the build-up of greenhouse gases.
For most of the past 800,000 years, carbon dioxide levels had remained
at between 180 and 300 parts per million (ppm) of air. Today they were
at 380ppm.
In the past, it had taken 1,000 years for carbon dioxide to rise by
30ppm during natural warming periods. According to the new
measurements, the same level of increase has occurred in just the last
17 years.
Tests confirmed that the recent carbon dioxide had come from fossil
fuel sources and must be due to human activity.
Dr Eric Wolff, from the British Antarctic Survey, who presented the
findings at the conference yesterday, said: "The rate of change is the
most scary thing.
"We really are in a situation where something's happening that we don't
have any analogue for in our records. It's an experiment we don't know
the result of."
Many experts recognise a "tipping point" of 440ppm of carbon dioxide,
after which climate change starts to run out of control.
Although opinions differ, it was generally accepted that at some stage
a "step change" is reached after which global warming accelerates
exponentially, said Dr Wolff. The threshold could now be only a decade
away.
"We could expect that tipping point to arrive in 10 years time," he
told the meeting at the University of East Anglia.
The scientists conducting the research were from the European Project
for Ice Coring in Antarctica (Epica).
The new core was twice as old as a previous one drilled by a
Russian-led team near the South Pole.
Although the Russian Vostok core yielded valuable information,
uncertainties remained. The new core has helped to fill the gaps.
Both cores showed clearly that greenhouse gas levels and climate change
were coupled together. As carbon dioxide levels rose, so did global
warming. Small changes amplified the effect.
The fact that this process occurred naturally offered little comfort,
said the scientists, since the speed at which it was taking place now
had never been seen before.
The ice core also showed a doubling in concentration of the second most
important greenhouse gas, methane, in the last 200 years.
Prof Peter Smith, from the University of Nottingham, said there was an
"urgent need" to find new technologies to reduce the impact of human
activity on climate.
Another scientist pointed to evidence showing that natural "sinks"
which soak up carbon were becoming less and less efficient.
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are to some extent balanced by
the carbon absorbed by the ocean and vegetation.
Dr Corinne Le Quere, from the University of East Anglia, said that as
concentrations rose in the future, natural sinks were expected to have
less effect.
The only efficient way to stabilise atmospheric carbon dioxide was to
reduce emissions to zero, she said.

Old September 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

SNIP
The world is getting warmer, no question. I am in England, to cover
a pro-AM figure skating event at the weekend, and it is been rather
warm here in September, especially the morning lows. Since I have been
here in Nottingham, the morning lows here, in
degrees F, have been around 64 to 67, which is quite warm for September
anywhere in Britain.

Hi

Not in my part of England it isn't. It has been feeling like November
for the past week. We have turned our central heating back on for the
first time since April and our coal fire has also been lit every day
for the past week or so, something we do not normally do until late
September at the earliest.

Regards
KGB

Old September 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

snip

They have been trying to find us ever since becuase they
would like get us under the Sedition Act of 1917, which makes it
ILLEGAL to criticise the United States government in ANY way. That is
why we use so many proxies and remailers.

Hi

I am not being facetious, but isn't that classed as paranoia?? 8^)

Regards

P.S. They are after me too. I can see them trying to hide in the
shrubbery opposite my house!!!!!!!

KGB

Old September 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

KGB (KGB) wrote:
snip

They have been trying to find us ever since becuase they
would like get us under the Sedition Act of 1917, which makes it
ILLEGAL to criticise the United States government in ANY way. That is
why we use so many proxies and remailers.

Hi

I am not being facetious, but isn't that classed as paranoia?? 8^)

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you