How to pass time on a 13 hour flight

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
CLK[_2_]

Default How to pass time on a 13 hour flight

How about you veteran fliers suggesting ways us infrequent fliers can help
time go by on a very long 13 hour flight on a full plane. Also maybe some
tipsa on how to make the flight more enjoyable.

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

#1 Sleep. 13 hours might require some drugs to be effective.

#2 Movies. A 13 hours flight will have several

#3 Reading. With 13 hours, dats allotta book

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#5 Talking. Ya ever been in a really long meeting?

#6 Combination of above, which in the end is about all ya can do.

My longest so far is about 10 hours. The real problem is that
frequently the timing of the flight may not correlate real well with
your sleep cycles. People are starting to use Ambien and other
sleep aids, but folks have varying responses to them when they
aren't close to a normal sleep cycle. I can read about 3 hours at
a crack and then I'm getting pretty antsy. One can only eat so
much. The movies help, but you have to hope against hope that
they have something of interest. I guess folks are taking their
own DVD players but I do wonder just how long the batteries last.
In the end, it's a long flight in a narrow aluminum tube for 13 hours.
It's hard to not make that a long day. In my youth, I took some
long train trips. Believe it or not, sooner or later you get bored.
Yeah, being able to walk around a bit helps, but pretty soon
you're bored with that too.

Old May 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
NotABushSupporter

CLK wrote:

How about you veteran fliers suggesting ways us infrequent fliers can help
time go by on a very long 13 hour flight on a full plane. Also maybe some
tipsa on how to make the flight more enjoyable.

The flight isn't going to be "enjoyable"
Bring something to keep yourself entertained and plenty of water.
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

#1 Sleep. 13 hours might require some drugs to be effective.

#2 Movies. A 13 hours flight will have several

#3 Reading. With 13 hours, dats allotta book

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#5 Talking. Ya ever been in a really long meeting?

#6 Combination of above, which in the end is about all ya can do.

#7 Get up and walk about, bumping as many sleeping passengers as
possible.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank

bring your fully loaded ipod or browse thru the
whole flight entertainment program (eg with
singapore airlines). on our flight from frankfurt
to singapore i made it thru three movies, some
albums on my ipod plus two rounds of eating.

still you will be glad to leave the plane... ;-)

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

#1 Sleep. 13 hours might require some drugs to be effective.

Just don't take any drugs if you aren't aware how you're react. Bring
headphones and music, if you're into that, it may help you doze off.

#2 Movies. A 13 hours flight will have several

I bring my own, rather then watch what the airline provides. Definitely
a recommendation.

#3 Reading. With 13 hours, dats allotta book

I have no problems watching a portable media player, but I just don't
enjoy reading on a flight. Many do though, so it's a good option.

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#5 Talking. Ya ever been in a really long meeting?

Unless I'm beside you, then STFU.

#6 Combination of above, which in the end is about all ya can do.

Sudoku, or other portable games (paper or electronic) can kill a couple
hours between naps.

--
We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?

#1 Sleep. 13 hours might require some drugs to be effective.

#2 Movies. A 13 hours flight will have several

#3 Reading. With 13 hours, dats allotta book

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#5 Talking. Ya ever been in a really long meeting?

#6 Combination of above, which in the end is about all ya can do.

#7 Get up and walk about, bumping as many sleeping passengers as
possible.

7A. While getting up, make sure you grab as many seatbacks as possible.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message irwell

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#7 Get up and walk about, bumping as many sleeping passengers as
possible.

Don't forget to combine that with #4, bring lots of food known to give
you gas, then walk around the plane spreading joy.

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

#7 Get up and walk about, bumping as many sleeping passengers as
possible.

No kidding. Between being bumped and dealing with the "thump thump thump" of
people that have lead feet, it's near impossible to sleep on a plane.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

#1 Sleep. 13 hours might require some drugs to be effective.

#2 Movies. A 13 hours flight will have several

#3 Reading. With 13 hours, dats allotta book

#4 Eating. Bring yer own

#5 Talking. Ya ever been in a really long meeting?

#6 Combination of above, which in the end is about all ya can do.

[...]

I have done 50-100 10+ hours flights, longest about 34 hours (i.e. a single
trip but a few planes and stops)
Really it is not so bad. Boring and sometimes uncomfortable but you survive.
There are far worse hardships for most people in the world.
Don't wory about it.