Best time to do a transatlantic cruise?

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Z. Greenberger[_2_]

Default Best time to do a transatlantic cruise?

Jean: So happy to see you are back on board!!!

I might be interested in a group cruise on the QM2 in 20l0. if all is
well.

rosaly
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"sue mullen" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

Jean---ready for the Danube River Cruise and week in Poland on Sept.1

Is this the cruise that you will be leaving from NY/NJ? If it is, is there
a chance of our getting a luncheon put together before you leave?

sue - happy to see Jean feeling better and posting again!!

Thanks, Sue, I am so happy to be feeling better too!
As for the luncheon, I wish it were possible...We arrive in Newark @ 2:15pm
on Sept.1st and leave Newark @ 5:20 pm for Copenhagen on Sept 2nd. Coming
back we arrive in Newark on Sept 16th@ 3:40pm, stay overnight and leave
Wednesday the 17th @ 2:21pm.
Being that they are work days for most everyone, I very much doubt that we
could get a luncheon together. ;-( Wish we could! Looks like the Solstice
in February will be the next time we see you!

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Aug 3, 10:40*pm, "Tom K" wrote:
*But 5
days 6 nights out of the North Atlantic with the nearest land 3 days away....
I want the ocean liner hull under me.

Tom,

It's been mentioned before in this thread but most of the
repositioning transatlantic crossings are southerly. They tend to come
down the coast of Spain before heading in to a southern arc across to
either Florida or a Caribbean/Florida combination.

I've done it on Legend of the Seas and she handled the seas quite
well. There was one day of bad weather (nothing I haven't experienced
on the Caribbean as well) but the balance of the crossing was no
different than any other cruise.

Warren
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message

I'm so GLAD to hear that you're feeling better today... GREAT NEWS.

Next summer we're doing Crown Princess up the North Cape of Norway. And
I want to do a sailing that goes to Iceland. But I will definitely hit
the QM2 again in (as the captain says) "the not to far distant future".

Thanks Tom, it feels SOOO good to be feeling well again!
Since the QM2 goes transatlantic most of the year, we might be able to
figure out a date that we can go together.
A group sailing would be great...wonder what interest it would hold.

--Jean

I can always twist Charle's arm.

Since next year's Norway... maybe the year after. Charles might be ready
again by then.

I can help you twist Charles' arm! ;-) He may be ready in 2010 to go again.
Rosaly Greenberger e-mailed me that she might be interested if her health
permitted...so that would be at least six of us so far!

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in message
Jean: So happy to see you are back on board!!!

I might be interested in a group cruise on the QM2 in 20l0. if all is
well.

rosaly

Thanks, Rosaly,
It's good to be back!
See, Tom....Rosaly is on board!

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Warren" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 10:40 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
But 5
days 6 nights out of the North Atlantic with the nearest land 3 days
away...
I want the ocean liner hull under me.

Tom,

It's been mentioned before in this thread but most of the
repositioning transatlantic crossings are southerly. They tend to come
down the coast of Spain before heading in to a southern arc across to
either Florida or a Caribbean/Florida combination.

That's still the North Atlantic on my map. The South Atlantic is down by
Brazil/Argentina.

--Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Aug 4, 12:19*am, "Tom K" wrote:

That's still the North Atlantic on my map. *The South Atlantic is down by
Brazil/Argentina.

Where did I say "South Atlantic"?

I said the route was southerly, arcing south instead of far north -
which is QM2's route. The southerly route taken by most repositioning
cruise ships is relatively calmer (and slower) than the one typically
taken by QM2 (at much faster speeds).

Warren
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee

Tom K wrote:

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to
take a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able
to take the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to
take a westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next
time you go!

--Jean

I'm so GLAD to hear that you're feeling better today... GREAT NEWS.

Next summer we're doing Crown Princess up the North Cape of Norway. And
I want to do a sailing that goes to Iceland. But I will definitely hit
the QM2 again in (as the captain says) "the not to far distant future".

Thanks Tom, it feels SOOO good to be feeling well again!
Since the QM2 goes transatlantic most of the year, we might be able to
figure out a date that we can go together.
A group sailing would be great...wonder what interest it would hold.

--Jean

I can always twist Charle's arm.

Since next year's Norway... maybe the year after. Charles might be ready
again by then.

I would want a crossing, either direction. I would want it on the QM2.
It would be more contingent on the price, rather than the date.
Cunard often has some very good specials.

Ermalee
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Colin McGarry

Helen wrote:
We'd like to do a transatlantic cruise in 2010 to celebrate our 30th
wedding anniversary. Any thoughts on the best time of year to do this
in terms of weather, etc? Eastbound vs Westbound? We'd like to embark/
disembark in Florida but the rest is up in the air. We're also
wondering how far ahead we need to book. Thanks

Take a cruise that comes to Normandy. You won't regret it. There's so
much to see.
You have the choice between:
Giverny - Monet's home and garden.
Rouen the medieval town where Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake dusring
the hundred years war.
The Bayeux Tapestry - a 950 year old embroidery, 200ft long, which
recounts the story of William the Conquerors invasion of England.
The d day invasion beaches. Which cover 50 miles of coastline and still
has many vestiges of the greatest military operation ever carried out.

The best time to come id June or September when you'll have good weather
and less crowds.

--
Audio Tour Guide d day Normandy. Self Guiding.
http://normandy-tour-guide.cpmac.com.audio-guide.php3
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

Jean---ready for the Danube River Cruise and week in Poland on Sept.1

Is this the cruise that you will be leaving from NY/NJ? If it is, is there
a chance of our getting a luncheon put together before you leave?

sue - happy to see Jean feeling better and posting again!!

Thanks, Sue, I am so happy to be feeling better too!
As for the luncheon, I wish it were possible...We arrive in Newark @ 2:15pm
on Sept.1st and leave Newark @ 5:20 pm for Copenhagen on Sept 2nd. Coming
back we arrive in Newark on Sept 16th@ 3:40pm, stay overnight and leave
Wednesday the 17th @ 2:21pm.
Being that they are work days for most everyone, I very much doubt that we
could get a luncheon together. ;-( Wish we could! Looks like the Solstice
in February will be the next time we see you!

Oh well, being work days that wouldn't work for us right now. At least I
was right about your being up this way around that time.lol

Now I just hope we can eventually get some decently priced airfares for
February so we can go on the Solstice. Right now all the prices are
outrageous!

sue