Blech! Nattering Nabobs of Negativity! :+)

Old February 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
*muz*

Default Blech! Nattering Nabobs of Negativity! :+)

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
: In article , Ray Goldenberg
: wrote:
:
: Some, but fortunately not most, on this news group want to be
: nattering nabobs of negativity. Fortunately the real world of
: cruising does not agree. As an example, Oceania Cruises floated out
: its first newbuild, Marina, at Fincantieri's Sestri Ponente shipyard
: this morning then surprised attendees by also cutting steel for a
: second ship. The newbuild, Riviera, is planned for April 2012
: delivery. This is a very exciting time for all of us that believe in
: the cruise industry.
:
: Of course you believe in the cruise industry. That is your job! I don't
: blame you for being an optimist, but naturally your perspective and
: interests is different than that of cruise consumers.
:
: I wish all was roses, employment was going up and people could pay
: their mortgages. It is not a matter of being negative. Real statistics
: show that the economy is still a mess. I hope things are turning around
: and that the middle class can take cruises and pay higher fares. But
: the economic figures don't show it. At least not yet.
:
: As far as Carnival raising prices. That does not prove anything. First
: we will have to see if the increases hold. Second even if the increase
: holds all that might represent is that prices went down too far. If as
: George say it is a 5% increase then I would not be so quick to
: celebrate. That would be a small adjustment.
:
: The Oceania ships were ordered long ago. These are small ships for a
: niche cruise line. That is exciting for that niche and the small group
: of consumers who book on small upscale cruise lines. Oceania is a small
: player in the cruise industry.
:
: --
: Charles

Well stated, Charles. My husband has been employed in the state government
sector of unemployment compensation for 30 years. It has been an absolute
madhouse at work since Fall 2009, when earnings quarters changed. There had
been an initiative by Mr Obama to extend benefit weeks with, yet, another
program. Currently, there are up to 81 weeks of unemployment in PA,
dependent upon eligibility in programs which are in place for specific
claimants. I am not saying each claimant has the opportunity to extend
their UC weeks to 81 weeks. I'm saying, depending upon the nature, the
field of industry that tanked, there are programs that can pay ~as much as~
up to 81 weeks unemployment.

81 weeks! ...that is a year and a half of UC benefits. Building trades,
farming, transportation, many manufacturing industries, all big businesses,
faltered or completely closed their doors. It feels like the storyline of
"The Grapes of Wrath" is being lived out in all points America. However,
this time, there is no booming economy in any US geographical area.
Hunkering down and bearing with it is the norm.

In recent years, when considering a cruise vacation, it has been
bittersweet. The question, "How can you afford to take a vacation?" escapes
their lips. We cruise on the cheap. To us, "the real world of cruising" is
the more dominant cruise lines. For some, flaunting a vacation while un-
and under-employed friends struggle to keep their jobs to pay their mortgage
seems inconsiderate. What could be a time to share great memories becomes
muted. We go away, we come back, refreshed. My husband and I have both
experienced times of unemployment in our careers. We are fortunate to
travel today. We understand that.

Oceania and other niche lines are on our "dream list". For those who can
market and to those who may afford higher-end cruise lines, more power to
ya. I don't feel we have any less an enjoyable time on a different line.
So, for travel agents who are doing well promoting these markets, I give ya
props. If the price point was set too low to keep the cabins filled, the
current economy may delay an actual recovery. Western economies are in the
tank, Eastern markets are faring better. The lines are moving ships to
markets that are doing better than us.

My own employment status had changed since becoming physically unable to
perform my old job (nursing). At present, I am unemployed until I get
medical clearance for a job. I try to counterbalance this quandary by
volunteering in church projects for the needy and at the local food bank.
Sometimes, I feel the "job" I do simply isn't enough.

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Borked Psuedo Mailed

*muz* wrote:
So, for travel agents who are doing well promoting these markets, I give ya
props.

Do you honestly think the 2 travel agents who have been touting the
cruise industry in an upswing would tell you if they are doing badly?
Seriously?

We won't know that Ray or George have gone under until well after the
event happens, if ever. But for either to be suggesting that they're
doing better than they ever did before in the face of current market,
employment and housing conditions flies in the face of reality.

It would be the same as having a real estate agent tell you they are
doing fabulously. Or a head hunter.
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC[_2_]

Borked Psuedo Mailed wrote:
Do you honestly think the 2 travel agents who have been touting the
cruise industry in an upswing would tell you if they are doing badly?
Seriously?

We won't know that Ray or George have gone under until well after the
event happens, if ever. But for either to be suggesting that they're
doing better than they ever did before in the face of current market,
employment and housing conditions flies in the face of reality.

It would be the same as having a real estate agent tell you they are
doing fabulously. Or a head hunter.

I think they may actually be telling the truth!

My wife has worked in the airline industry for the last ten years and
the last nine months have been some of the busiest she has ever
experienced. There are TONS of people that are traveling BECAUSE of the
economy. It has been frustrating for both the customers and the agents
since economy space just doesn't exist when they call in. And it is
amazing how many people will pop for first class when economy isn't
available.

There ARE a ton of people out of work. But a big percentage of those
were working folks that usually don't make up a big part of the travel
biz anyway. A BIG chunk of casual to hard core travelers are either
well off or retired and are mostly unaffected by the economy.

At least that is what it seems like to me.
--

Ray
=======================
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 2/27/10 10:38 PM, RayC wrote:
Borked Psuedo Mailed wrote:
[...]

They said the airlines have idled a ton of planes. Cruise lines have
much more expensive hardware so they never want their ships to be idle.

So to keep demand high (and prices up), the airlines can restrict
demand. The other thing with air is that a HUGE piece of the cost
(especially for international travel) is security and 911 taxes. I saw
a cost for a ticket from NYC to London, and over half the cost was
Heathrow taxes. So even if airlines cut air tickets, the tax portion
can't be cut.

--Tom