Lobster Night?

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Tom & Linda

Default Lobster Night?

"NY Nurse" wrote in message
We have been on 11 cruises (with Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival, RCCL
and Princess) and have had lobster on all of them. Even the three
nighter with RCCL (September 2001--the weekend before 9/11). The best
lobster was on Princess when we sailed to Canada and New England. They
took on some very fresh lobster in Bar Harbor, Maine. What a meal!!!!

Then you most likely got the Maine lobster... the GOOD stuff.

--Tom

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Reef Fish

wrote in message ...
Hi Bob... What specie are you referring to when you say "ordinary
Alaskan crab"?

I was referring to the Alaskan SNOW crab, some are euphemistically
called Queen crab, to distinguish them from the Alaskan King crab.

They are served in thousands of buffet restaurants of the "all you
can eat type" in the USA. I am surprised that these Alaskan snow
crabs have not been eaten to near-extinction, because I personally
have eaten a ton or two of them myself over the years; :-) whereas
the Alaskan King crab was almost eaten to extinction in the 1980s
(and made a come back later) and I have hardly eaten more than 100
lbs of those in my life time.

Hence my use of "ordinary" Alaskan crab. Neither meant to be a
scientific nor echthylogical term. :-)

....On my first three HAL 10
day cruises there was an abundance of --yes-- "King" crab legs. ...In
fact at one time, for the barbecue, they had a whole washtub full of
them. ....I was shocked, as in British Columbia here, we pay close to 20
bucks for 3 or 4 legs. ...Jon

Even among Alaskan King Crab legs, there are King crab legs that are
served in their non-chunky-leg skinny sections, as in the Bellagio
buffet in Las Vegas, and in a few other fairly expensive buffets. Then
there are still "unlimited" Alaskan King Crab legs (chunky and meaty
pieces -- the real LEG portion) served in certain buffets, such as the
New Orleans Manor in Nashville, near the Nashville (BNA) airport. The
buffet was $30 per person, 25 years ago. I have eaten there recently
but don't recall if the buffet is now in the $40 or $50 range.

Some years later, I went there looking for the same buffet and the own
said the Alaskan King crabs served had been listed in the endangered
species and they stopped serving that in their buffet. In recent years,
the CHUNKY-leg Alaskan King Crab is back on that buffet menu.

Alaskan King crabs are rare, with the exception of perhaps in Alaska.

That pretty much exhausted what I know or have to say about Alaskan King
Crabs, and their roles in restaurants and cruises.

-- Bob.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:10 PM

Hi Bob... I'm aware of the look of "Snow crabs" ...Not as tasty as King,
IMHO. ...Perhaps the HAL ships had an abundance of the "King" variety ,
as some of the cruises that I took had just finished the Alaska run for
the summer. ...Jon

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Becca

NY Nurse wrote:
We have been on 11 cruises (with Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival, RCCL
and Princess) and have had lobster on all of them.

I cruised about 15 times before I tried the lobster on a cruise ship.
So far, the best lobster has been on Carnival and Norwegian. I tried
lobster on RCI and Princess and I did not care for it. Maybe they will
make some changes.

Becca -----enjoyed the Nova Scotia lobster on the Norwegian Dawn...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old May 24th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Florence and Lou Roth

Becca

What did your lobster tails look like?

We were on the Ncl Dawn in January & our lobster tails were skinny
little mushy things. First time I never asked for seconds!

Florence