Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

In message , at 20:58:55 on Fri, 27
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
I though the discussion was about whether Mollies plan to make bag checks
history would work, not whether individuals should check

Except he's not proposing that - the desks will remain, but called
bag-drops (and also be used for "difficult" check-ins, I'm sure).

He is quoted as saying it in reference to this move

What? That there will be bag-drops?
--
Roland Perry
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
tim.....

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:58:55 on Fri, 27 Feb
2009, tim..... remarked:
I though the discussion was about whether Mollies plan to make bag
checks
history would work, not whether individuals should check

Except he's not proposing that - the desks will remain, but called
bag-drops (and also be used for "difficult" check-ins, I'm sure).

He is quoted as saying it in reference to this move

What? That there will be bag-drops?

No, that it was his intention to try to "force" people to fly without
checked luggage.

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

tim..... wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:57:59 -0000:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
tim..... wrote on Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:32:23 -0000:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
Lennart wrote on Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:57:37 GMT:

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 21:58:38 on
Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen
remarked:

And what I said was :

" "And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with
carry-on luggage only.
Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage and the airline
expect that in a near future only one out of five have
checked luggage. "

There's no need to keep repeating it. Just say what point
it is you are trying to make. -- Roland Perry

My point was exactly:

I have never flown Ryanair but, speaking as a quite senior
citizen, I think they are setting themselves up for a very
expensive age discrimation legal suit.

I don't get this (even if I ignore the fact that age
discrimination is only illegal in Europe for employment
purposes, ATM)

If Ryanair makes it impossible for a senior to use their
planes, they deserve everything that ambulance chasing
lawyers can get out of them!

What I means is "I don't see how stopping normal checked
luggage" is discriminatory. It's the same for everyone. It
isn't going to adversely affect a particular group (as long as
they still allow wheel chairs to be checked, but FR have
already lost that one in court)

As a "senior citizen" I have found that I need to carry more with me
than I did when I was younger and I can't lift bags up to the luggage
lockers.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old February 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Lennart Petersen

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 09:00:04 on Sun,
22 Feb 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
Ryanair has confirmed it plans to close all of its airport check-in
desks by the end of the year in a bid to reduce the cost of its
flights.

This probably will reduce costs a fair bit as they currently handle
check-ins manually using a bit of paper and a pen (to avoid having to
pay to use the airport computer systems), so it's quite
labour-intensive.

I can't see how it will save much labour at the majority of airports. They
will still have a "bag drop" [and I bet at least some of the current
"check-in compulsory" categories will become "bag drop compulsory"] with
probably at least two people even at outposts. One of the reasons they
close the check-in early, of course, is so the same people can go airside
and double as gate staff.

------------------
I've found that sometimes the Ryanair cabin crew actually do the gate
control in the short turnaround time, not the check in staff.

Old February 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Lennart Petersen

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 16:55:34 on Fri, 27
Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen remarked:
There's no need to keep repeating it. Just say what point it is you
are
trying to make.

My point was exactly:

"And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.
Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage and the airline expect that in a
near
future only one out of five have checked luggage. "

That's not a point, it's a statement hanging in mid air.

So try to read again. It was written in addition to what Graham Murray
said.

And I've answered your apparent concern several times. *Even if* you only
have hand baggage, you'll still have to "check in" at the "bag drop" if
you don't have an EU passport (or are in a dozen other categories of
"awkward passenger"). There's simply no other way it could possibly work.
Roland Perry

-------
I haven't denied that.

Old February 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 22:28:17 on Fri, 27
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
I though the discussion was about whether Mollies plan to make bag
checks
history would work, not whether individuals should check

Except he's not proposing that - the desks will remain, but called
bag-drops (and also be used for "difficult" check-ins, I'm sure).

He is quoted as saying it in reference to this move

What? That there will be bag-drops?

No, that it was his intention to try to "force" people to fly without
checked luggage.

Even if every passenger was hand-baggage only, he still needs to check
some of them in.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 21:24:25 on Thu,
26 Feb 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
FR have a base at BHX T2, anyway, which is an extremely civilised
business terminal, outdone only by LCY. Hope they haven't wrecked it.

I'd afraid they have (wrecked it).

Security queue and departure lounge (by the gates) have sprouted
impressive zig-zag tape barriers, and KLM/AF is moving out to T1 from on
11th March.

Talking to the staff, it is definitely cause and effect. Apparently
people were missing their KLM/AF flights because of the crowds of
Ryanair pax, who were allegedly not helping by going through security at
the last minute, rather than spreading the load.

So in two weeks time, T2 will be the Ryanair/Flybe terminal.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Brian Watson[_2_]

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message

"Roland Perry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , at 09:00:04 on Sun,
22 Feb 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
Ryanair has confirmed it plans to close all of its airport check-in
desks by the end of the year in a bid to reduce the cost of its
flights.

Turning them all into pay to use toilets, I heard...

--
Brian

Old February 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mike" wrote in message
"James Silverton" wrote:

What I means is "I don't see how stopping normal checked
luggage" is discriminatory. It's the same for everyone. It
isn't going to adversely affect a particular group (as long as
they still allow wheel chairs to be checked, but FR have
already lost that one in court)

As a "senior citizen" I have found that I need to carry more with me
than I did when I was younger and I can't lift bags up to the luggage
lockers.

any civilised person should resist going for low price to the extend
you have to live out of a rucksack for two weeks. Have a bit of
dignity in your flying, (like booked seats) and if necessary fly a bit
less, it will save the planet a bit.

So you'd like the old and infirm to stay out of your way when you fly...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
"James Silverton" wrote:

What I means is "I don't see how stopping normal checked
luggage" is discriminatory. It's the same for everyone. It
isn't going to adversely affect a particular group (as long as
they still allow wheel chairs to be checked, but FR have
already lost that one in court)

As a "senior citizen" I have found that I need to carry more with me
than I did when I was younger and I can't lift bags up to the luggage
lockers.

any civilised person should resist going for low price to the extend
you have to live out of a rucksack for two weeks. Have a bit of
dignity in your flying, (like booked seats) and if necessary fly a bit
less, it will save the planet a bit.

So you'd like the old and infirm to stay out of your way when you fly...

Well, I'm old and carry less with me than I did when I was younger 8-)
But no way would I ever fly with Ryanair.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*