Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

"erilar" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
"James Silverton" wrote:

What I means is "I don't see how stopping normal checked
luggage" is discriminatory. It's the same for everyone. It
isn't going to adversely affect a particular group (as long as
they still allow wheel chairs to be checked, but FR have
already lost that one in court)

As a "senior citizen" I have found that I need to carry more with me
than I did when I was younger and I can't lift bags up to the luggage
lockers.

any civilised person should resist going for low price to the extend
you have to live out of a rucksack for two weeks. Have a bit of
dignity in your flying, (like booked seats) and if necessary fly a bit
less, it will save the planet a bit.

So you'd like the old and infirm to stay out of your way when you fly...

Well, I'm old and carry less with me than I did when I was younger 8-)
But no way would I ever fly with Ryanair.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Did it once, never again...

Mind you, the major carriers are making a lot of cutbacks even on long-haul
scheduled flights these days...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"William Black" wrote in message

"erilar" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
"James Silverton" wrote:

[...]

I was quite impressed that when I went to Tunis on TunisAir, which is less
than 3 hours away, I got a traditional "full" service. Most annoying as I
had eaten in the lounge before I got on :-(

I'm on BA Long haul tomorrow for a three week trip and I had to check the
luggage allowance, as no way am I doing that long away on Hand luggage only.
(You do - 2 bags!)

tim

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"tim....." wrote:

I'm on BA Long haul tomorrow for a three week trip and I had to check the
luggage allowance, as no way am I doing that long away on Hand luggage only.
(You do - 2 bags!)

I don't check anything. If it won't fit in my carry-on, I must not need
it because I don't want to have to lug any more than that around. And
I've done it for FOUR weeks 8-)

--

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old March 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:56:06 +0000, rail
wrote:

You don't know much about chavs do you? IIRC the current stowage
arrangements are because they lost so many nicked from under the seats.
Moving them has only halved the loss rate.

Really? You'd think that people taking them out of the overhead
compartments would be fairly obvious.

Maybe a cause in favour of allocated seating? If you had (as they
presumably do) CCTV footage of someone nicking one, coupled with the
seat number and a vague description of the person, you'd pretty
certainly be able to get them for it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:52:33 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Even if every passenger was hand-baggage only, he still needs to check
some of them in.

I suppose if it was only a few that role could be combined with the
ticket, sorry surcharge, desk.

(Useful note: if you're buying a ticket/changing one at the same time,
easyJet's ticket desks, or at least the one at Schiphol, can (could as
of a couple of years ago) print your boarding pass as well, though it
took a firm "I don't want to wait in that (point at massive queue) as
I might miss the flight and I've only got hand luggage anyway" to get
them to actually do it).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:08:31 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

Turning them all into pay to use toilets, I heard...

This thing about the bogs shows how much of a master of PR and the
press O'Leary is. I strongly suspect he will never charge for the
bogs (it's just not that practical), but on the principle that any
publicity is good publicity, he's just gone and got his low-fares
principle splashed all over the national press and groups like this
for free.

Whatever you might think of his operation, he is an extremely shrewd
(and unusually honest in a lot of ways, except the intention of this
one) businessman. And unlike Gerald Ratner, people keep coming back
for more.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:58:50 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

I'd afraid they have (wrecked it).

Security queue and departure lounge (by the gates) have sprouted
impressive zig-zag tape barriers, and KLM/AF is moving out to T1 from on
11th March.

Talking to the staff, it is definitely cause and effect. Apparently
people were missing their KLM/AF flights because of the crowds of
Ryanair pax, who were allegedly not helping by going through security at
the last minute, rather than spreading the load.

So in two weeks time, T2 will be the Ryanair/Flybe terminal.

Damn. What's T1 like? Never been in there.

It's a shame (and a surprise) they didn't put FR in T1 with all the
holiday flights. T2 was my second favourite airport, beaten only by
wonderful LCY, which at least can't handle the blue-and-yellow team's
737s.

Why would the FR pax not want to go through security until the last
minute, anyway? There's just about naff all landside in T2 except a
not very good and overpriced bar, and there's a 'Spoons airside.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Brian Watson[_2_]

wrote:

Turning them all into pay to use toilets, I heard...

This thing about the bogs shows how much of a master of PR and the
press O'Leary is. I strongly suspect he will never charge for the
bogs (it's just not that practical), but on the principle that any
publicity is good publicity, he's just gone and got his low-fares
principle splashed all over the national press and groups like this
for free.

Whatever you might think of his operation, he is an extremely shrewd
(and unusually honest in a lot of ways, except the intention of this
one) businessman. And unlike Gerald Ratner, people keep coming back
for more.

And unlike Ratner, he knows how to turn a story on crap and get away with
it.

--
Brian

Old March 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
MB

wrote:

Turning them all into pay to use toilets, I heard...

This thing about the bogs shows how much of a master of PR and the
press O'Leary is. I strongly suspect he will never charge for the
bogs (it's just not that practical), but on the principle that any
publicity is good publicity, he's just gone and got his low-fares
principle splashed all over the national press and groups like this
for free.

Whatever you might think of his operation, he is an extremely shrewd
(and unusually honest in a lot of ways, except the intention of this
one) businessman. And unlike Gerald Ratner, people keep coming back
for more.

He can also announce that he is abandoning plans in response to customer
reaction and so make it appear that Ryanair care about the SLF.

Old March 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 15:25:59 -0000, "MB" wrote:

He can also announce that he is abandoning plans in response to customer
reaction and so make it appear that Ryanair care about the SLF.

Indeed.

The one thing I think we can be pretty sure of, though, is that while
Ryanair will charge for just about everything else, a slash on board
will remain free.

But Ryanair wins, either way. Which is the whole point...

Neil

--
Neil Williams