Aruba Geology

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Neil Gillis

Default Aruba Geology

Would appreciate any "links' to a summary of the geology of Aruba. Have
already tried "Google" and "sci.geo.geology" with little success. Thanks in
advance.

Neil

Old March 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:02:34 GMT, "Neil Gillis"
wrote:

Would appreciate any "links' to a summary of the geology of Aruba. Have
already tried "Google" and "sci.geo.geology" with little success. Thanks in
advance.

For reasons that escape me, many searchers do not take the trouble to
learn the simple but powerful tools available on Google Advanced
Search. I used the option "with ALL the words"

Aruba
geology

and got a slew of Aruba Geology links, starting with:

http://www.le.ac.uk/gl/rvw1/arubahome.html

It's the homne page of an Aruba student at the University of
Leicester's school of Geology. Do a search on the word Aruba and you
get links to 60 pages containg Aruba info, many of them with geology
info.

Another item in the first few pages is

[PDF] A SIMPLE SYNTHESIS OF CARIBBEAN GEOLOGY Keith H. James
Consultant ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
www.ig.utexas.edu/CaribPlate/forum/ james/james_carib_model.pdf -
Similar pages

and another that offers geological maps of variuos Caribbean islands,
includuing Aruba

For Sale : Cuba, West Indies, Antilles geology and paleontology ...
.... 182p. $16. Geological map of Aruba : 1:50,000.
Natuurwetenschappelijke studiekring
voor het Caraibisch Gebied (Caribbean region). Folded, full-color. $9.

and the US Coastal and Marine Geology database . . .

USGS--CMG InfoBank Atlas: Aruba region
.... banner. USGS, Coastal and Marine Geology banner. Search InfoBank.
CMG InfoBank Atlas: Aruba region, Skip navigational links. ________,..
walrus.wr.usgs.gov/infobank/gazette/ html/regions/aw.html - 19k -
Cached - Similar pages

And that's from just the first Google Advanced Search that promises
10,200 pages that contains BOTH the word "Aruba" and the word
"Geology."

Should you use Google Advnaced Search for "the exact phrase"

Aruba geology

You get only 19 results but they do include:

[PDF] Geological Origins of Aruba
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Page 1. Geological Origins of Aruba This exhibition informs you on the
origin and geological history of Aruba. Geology is the study of the
crust of the earth. ...
www.aruba.com/pdf/georigin.pdf - Supplemental Result - Similar pages

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Neil Gillis

s.com...
wrote:

Would appreciate any "links' to a summary of the geology of Aruba.

Have
already tried "Google" and "sci.geo.geology" with little success. Thanks

in
advance.

For reasons that escape me, many searchers do not take the trouble to
learn the simple but powerful tools available on Google Advanced
Search. I used the option "with ALL the words"

As a retired teacher of Earth Science,including Geology, I have always
tried to help people in a positive to guide them to answers to thier
questions. Would you please explain how to use Google's Advanced Search.
thanks

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Ken Tough

Neil Gillis wrote:

For reasons that escape me, many searchers do not take the trouble to
learn the simple but powerful tools available on Google Advanced
Search. I used the option "with ALL the words"

You don't need the Google advanced search for that. By default,
it searches for all the words you enter in the basic search box.

http://www.google.com/help/basics.html

It's sad how few people actually know how to search properly.
A survey shows less than 3% of people use quotes to enclose
phrases, and 1% use more advanced search techniques. Two of
the most useful on Google are the exclusion (put a keyword
with '-' in front of it to remove it, like:
aruba geology -texas

... and searching within Google groups as well.

--
Ken Tough
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:01 AM

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:35:58 -0500, "Neil Gillis"
wrote:

For reasons that escape me, many searchers do not take the trouble to
learn the simple but powerful tools available on Google Advanced
Search. I used the option "with ALL the words"

As a retired teacher of Earth Science,including Geology, I have always
tried to help people in a positive to guide them to answers to thier
questions. Would you please explain how to use Google's Advanced Search.

Respectfully, I just did.

But let's take it again but with more detailed steps.

Go to www.google.com

To the right of the search box, click on "Advanced Search"

You are offered four fields that can be used either singly or in
combinations

with all of the words
with the exact phrase
with at least one of the words
without the words

Thus you could ask for, as I said regarding Aruba geology, put that
phrase in that box and hit enter or click on "Google Search".

To narrow the search you might put the word government in the field
for "without the words".

Think about what that means. You will get all pages containing the
phrase Aruba geolgy but if the page also contains the word government,
that page will not show up in the results.

Or in the field "with at least one of the words" you put the same word
government and in the field that says "without the words " you said
university, the results would show all pages that contain the phrase
"Aruba geology" as long as the word university is absent from the page
and long as it contains the word governmrnt.

Now I've used a pretty weird configuratiuon for the search but almost
any search can be narrowed or expanded with this simple tool.

You also can limit the search, using the other options on that page,
with regard to language, last date modified, frequency of the search
terms on the page, etc.

Yes, I know, for the geeks among us, that this is a plain language
version of Boolean Logic - but since it accomplishes Boolean searches
without the pain and fuss, why not?