I Hope This Isn't True.

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:27 AM
MsPatty4

Default I Hope This Isn't True.

Jim, all I want to do is retire with grace and dignity this coming Friday
and be able to spend the rest of my life spending the money I had saved over
the last 70 years.

Wow! Congratulations. May you have many, many wonderful cruises ahead of you.

~ Patty
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:28 AM
Benjamin Smith

Cruising Chrissy wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:52:55 -0800, "Jim"
wrote:

I also wish that people
everywhere would respect others religions, mores, and customs and stop
trying to violently impose their ideals upon others who do not think as they
do.

Tell that to Israel.

Jim, I do too. But you opened up a can of worms. An argument can be made
that the U.S. is violently imposing its ideals upon others who do not
think as it does (stating it is bringing "democracy" to the middle East,
for example). An argument can be made that this is what humankind has
done since time immemorial and is not unique to any society on this Earth.

Spokesmen for terrorism state that it's purpose to avenge the honor of
defeated countries, societies, customs, and religions and to get the
influence and presence of colonizers and crusaders out of their sacred
lands. That's their position.

I think most societies are guilty of brutality and the desire to conquer.

My position: we all have agendas and defend ourselves while not
considering everything that goes into the other side, or even to
validate that there may be something to the other side.

Ben

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:29 AM
Mike Cordelli

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

for what makes a red alert.

"CupCaked aka CupCaked" wrote in message

And yes, I wonder what DOES constitute a Red Alert? I hope we never
find out.

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:32 AM
Benjamin Smith

CupCaked aka CupCaked wrote:
Benjamin Smith wrote:

I get little out of this one, Karen. I remember after the Oklahoma City
bombing aboout people seeing suspicious characters that had a "Middle
East" appearance. What's a Middle East appearance? Can many of us tell
Iranians from Jordanians from Argentines from Uzbekis? Turns out
Oklahoma City wasn't carried out by anyone from the Middle East.

This sounds like urban legend.

Ben, what I was talking about happened today at Hans' work place, so
it's not urban legend.

OK, Karen. I know we should take precautions but it probably was some
idiot mouthing off.

Ben

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:34 AM
Benjamin Smith

Mike Cordelli wrote:
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

for what makes a red alert.

Thanks, Mike. Seems like NYC is inbetween orange and red.

Ben

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:37 AM
CupCaked aka CupCaked

Benjamin Smith wrote:

CupCaked aka CupCaked wrote:

Ben, what I was talking about happened today at Hans' work place, so
it's not urban legend.

OK, Karen. I know we should take precautions but it probably was some
idiot mouthing off.

I hope that's all it was.

Just pulled this off the Yahoo news page:

"I think the level of security this time around within the United
States is absolutely unprecedented," Homeland Security Secretary Tom
Ridge said on CBS's "The Early Show."

You said in another post that you thought that something was up. I
agree. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:40 AM
CupCaked aka CupCaked

Benjamin Smith wrote:

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

Yes, Mike ... thanks.

From the Dept of Home Security home page:'

"5. Severe Condition (Red). A Severe Condition reflects a severe risk
of terrorist attacks. Under most circumstances, the Protective
Measures for a Severe Condition are not intended to be sustained for
substantial periods of time. In addition to the Protective Measures in
the previous Threat Conditions, Federal departments and agencies also
should consider the following general measures in addition to the
agency-specific Protective Measures that they will develop and
implement:

Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency
needs;

Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning and
mobilizing specially trained teams or resources;

Monitoring, redirecting, or constraining transportation systems; and
Closing public and government facilities. "

*****

And yes, Ben, it DOES sound like they're doing some of this already in
places throughout the country.

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:42 AM
JerryC

If the information is indeed classified, and the individual who divulged
it has a government clearance, then it is considered an act of treason
and punishable by death to disclose it. Even to a spouse who then puts
it in a public forum. Security clearances are taken quite seriously, as
well as divulging any classified information. Hopefully, it wasn't and
this was just people talking and rumors gone wild. Everyone's pretty
tense again.

In article ,
says...

"Jim" wrote in message
Nothing like releasing classified information before it is done

officially!
And people wonder why sensitive information should not be given out to

many
people. Someone always seems to blab.
Jim

Jim, why does this not surprise me? Some people are SO desperate to be the
center of attention and pretend that they are all knowing and SO important
that only they are privy to classified information. In their desperation,
they will resort to anything. Does it matter whom they might hurt or alarm
needlessly? Of course not, they must be in the spot light!! As I have
mentioned before, I have two brothers, and a cousin who are State Troopers
and a son who is in law enforcement, but they would never *blab* anything
that was classified. They believe in the chain of command and being
responsible. My husband had very sensitive and classified information in his
possession during the Korean and Viet Nam Wars, when he was in the military,
but I'm proud to say that he never divulged any of it..Not even to me, and
if he had, I certainly would not have immediately run out and announced it
to the world!. As they say "Loose lips, sink ships!" As for me, true or
not, I will believe it only when I hear it from the proper authorities.

--Jean

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:47 AM
Benjamin Smith

Benjamin Smith wrote:

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

Yes, Mike ... thanks.

From the Dept of Home Security home page:'

[...]

Karen, I was thinking of going to Sophia's tomorrow (Sophia's is on 46th
St. opposite the Marriot Hotel) from about 5 to 8pm tommorrow. Now,
I'm not so sure (mostly due to access to establishments in the area). I
think I'll totally avoid the Times Square area. I think, at least I'm
hoping, that the revelers will be safe tomorrow night into the new year.

Ben

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:47 AM
CupCaked aka CupCaked

JerryC wrote:

If the information is indeed classified, and the individual who divulged
it has a government clearance, then it is considered an act of treason
and punishable by death to disclose it. Even to a spouse who then puts
it in a public forum. Security clearances are taken quite seriously, as
well as divulging any classified information. Hopefully, it wasn't and
this was just people talking and rumors gone wild. Everyone's pretty
tense again.

It is exactly as you stated in your last two sentences. And yes, I
know I'm feelin' a little jumpy tonight and I can't put my finger on
it.