Bermuda cruises - what's the attraction?

Old February 15th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Lloyd Parsons

Default Bermuda cruises - what's the attraction?

From time to time there are postings here about Bermuda cruises that
ooh and aah over whichever line is going and where.

But virtually every one of the Bermuda cruises that I read about here
all indicate that it is just taking your hotel with you to Bermuda. A
hotel, I might add, that has extremely small rooms!

So why do Bermuda with a cruise and not just a land vacation? And for
that matter, what is there that makes Bermuda so attractive as a
vacation spot at all for more than a couple days?

This curious mind wants to know.

--
Lloyd

Carnival Tropicale 2000
GGC2002 Carnival Sensation
GGC2003 Golden Princess
GGC2004 Radiance of the Seas
GLC2005 Celebrity Millenium
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM
RTCReferee

This curious mind wants to know.

I'll second that. What is the big attraction, other than the ability to do a
round-trip sailing from New York or nearby for those who live in those locales?
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:04:21 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

So why do Bermuda with a cruise and not just a land vacation?

Because the ship is part of the experience. Goodness, Lloyd, what a
question to ask for the GGC2005 Chairman.

Why not do land based vacations at the ports of call soon to be
selected instead of cruising?

The Not So Fine Art Of Google - Go To Top Of Thread
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Lloyd Parsons

wrote:

So why do Bermuda with a cruise and not just a land vacation?

Because the ship is part of the experience. Goodness, Lloyd, what a
question to ask for the GGC2005 Chairman.

Why not do land based vacations at the ports of call soon to be
selected instead of cruising?

OK, but from the descriptions of virtually every posting here about the
Bermuda cruises, they go directly to Bermuda, tie up and stay right
there until they return.

What 'ship experience' is that garnering? The one where nothing is
opened on the ship?

And I would argue that if you wanted to really experience the ports of
call, you would in fact, go on a land based vacation to them. A few
hours stop isn't enough time for any port!

Lloyd
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Me

So why do Bermuda with a cruise and not just a land vacation?

Because the cruise itself is half the vacation.

But virtually every one of the Bermuda cruises that I read about here
all indicate that it is just taking your hotel with you to Bermuda. A
hotel, I might add, that has extremely small rooms!

Try a suite and in addition, how much time do you really spend in your room
especially when at the Island?

And for
that matter, what is there that makes Bermuda so attractive as a
vacation spot at all for more than a couple days?

The fact that there is no better place on earth to be. Infact, when you are on
Bermuda, you feel as though you are not even on earth any more. As I have said
before however, Bermuda is not the best "family" trip. And by "family", I mean
taking young children. Also, you mention "a couple of days"..on most cruises,
you are only at the Island for a couple of days (not an entire week or more).
We have done tons of cruises and land trips to Bermuda and they are both pure
perfection. One trip, we spent almost an entire week just boating in and around
Bermuda and that was one fast week and one that was never boring, most relaxing
yet filled with excitment and plenty of new sights.
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Allen Lutz

Because the ship is part of the experience.
Agree but its not overly compelling.

The weakness of the Bermuda cruise is that you're in fixed location, I
know you switch ports, and therefore opens up the possibility of using
land based accomdations which run from very small (B&B style) to
resorts. The same question could be asked if you cruised from Miami to
any port of call for an entire week.

For me its the diversity of the Cruise,sea days mixed with different
ports of call.

Allen

Old February 15th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Me

A few
hours stop isn't enough time for any port!

True. And neither is "a couple of days".

Old February 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Cruising Chrissy

Why not do land based vacations at the ports of call soon to be
selected instead of cruising?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:18:02 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

OK, but from the descriptions of virtually every posting here about the
Bermuda cruises, they go directly to Bermuda, tie up and stay right
there until they return.

I agree with that.

What 'ship experience' is that garnering? The one where nothing is
opened on the ship?

Sailing, cruising the Atlantic. The experience of being at sea.
Lovely, shimmering moonlit seas. The movement of the ship. The cabin
service. The bed, Lloyd, there are few planes with beds and Getting
Your Wings is frowned upon.

And I would argue that if you wanted to really experience the ports of
call, you would in fact, go on a land based vacation to them.

I would agree again.

A few
hours stop isn't enough time for any port!

Sometimes you get a 6:00 AM to 12:00 PM (next day) but yes, it's
off-on the boat for the most.

Point being, you want to get the most out of Bermuda, fly. You will
get there faster and have longer to see the sights.

No doubt about it.

Old February 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Charles

In article , Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

But virtually every one of the Bermuda cruises that I read about here
all indicate that it is just taking your hotel with you to Bermuda. A
hotel, I might add, that has extremely small rooms!

It is a hybrid. It does take a day and a half to get there each way. So
you are both "cruising" and using the ship as a hotel when you get
there.

So why do Bermuda with a cruise and not just a land vacation? And for
that matter, what is there that makes Bermuda so attractive as a
vacation spot at all for more than a couple days?

I do think if I did it as a land vacation four days would probably be
as long as I would stay on the island, same as on a cruise. The cruise
makes a good combo. Don't have to fly there. Also on the plus side of a
cruise is that hotels and restaurants in Bermuda are expensive. The
cruise is a good value.

--
Charles
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Me

For me its the diversity of the Cruise,sea days mixed with different
ports of call.

This is why there are cruises for all tastes.....single fixed ports like
Bermuda and trips that hop around to multiple stops. In all my travels, I never
did care for trips that stop at a gazillion ports in a week or two for many
reasons.