Carnival Conquest

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:54 AM
barnesk

Default Carnival Conquest

On July 4th, I will be aboard the Conquest. Is there anything about
the Conquest that might be good to know at the beginning of the trip
and could make things more fun?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Rick & Linda Bernard

There are 2 formal nights. The first one (Monday night I believe) is the
most formal. For the guys a Tux would be best (black tie) and a formal for
the ladies. The second night (Thursday rings a bell) a nice suit for the
guys and similar for the ladies will work. You can rent a tux on board the
boat. Except for the first night dinner dress in the main dining rooms
requires long pants and a nice shirt - no shorts. Dinner in the main
dinning rooms was excellent while the aft breakfast & lunch buffets became
somewhat boring after a week. There is an excellent sandwich place that I
mostly used for lunch.

I suggest you take the ship's tour on Monday morning to get the "lay of the
land," It will really help you move around the ship and the tour is
interesting.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Lee

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...
There are 2 formal nights. The first one (Monday night I believe) is the
most formal. For the guys a Tux would be best (black tie) and a formal for
the ladies. The second night (Thursday rings a bell) a nice suit for the
guys and similar for the ladies will work.

I wouldn't bother to pack both a tux and a suit - takes up too much
space. If you bring a tux, wear it both nights - just bring two
shirts...maybe one white, one black? Or, one designed to be worn with
a tie, the other without?

Lee
Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:16 AM
David C Jacobson

"barnesk" wrote in message
On July 4th, I will be aboard the Conquest. Is there anything about
the Conquest that might be good to know at the beginning of the trip
and could make things more fun?

I have had the pleasure of being on the Conquest last year and I am going
back in December.

Things that might be good to know:

1. Get to the Julia Street terminal early, around 10:30 am -11:00 am.. You
should be able to have lunch on the Lido deck around noon.
2. Book your excursions from your room, using the TV remote.
3. Try the Cream of Pumpkin soup at dinner time.
4. Right above the dessert area on the Lido deck there are stairs to go up
to the Panorama deck. You will find the Sur Mer restaurant, which has
incredible seafood. People miss this place for some reason.
5. Avoid the art auctions.
6.The internet cafe is next to Alfred's Bar. You may want to wait an use the
internet at ports of call, where the prices will be much cheaper for using
the internet.
7. There is a great coffee place on the Promenade deck which sells lattes
and ice coffees.
8. You may want to check out the Port of New Orleans web site
(www.portno.com ) for a map of the area for parking. It will cost you $84
for the week in the various parking lots.
9. The Point is a great place for a special occasion, so you may want to
make a reservation ($50 a couple).

I think the Conquest is the best vacation I have ever had, and I am
confident you will have a great week.

David Jacobson
Baton Rouge

Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:31 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"David C Jacobson" wrote in message

Thanks for all the great tips, David.. a group of us from rtc will be on the
Conquest on October 31st and I will have to remember all these pointers!

--Jean

In case you have not read about it:
http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm

Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

David C Jacobson wrote:

3. Try the Cream of Pumpkin soup at dinner time.

Thanks, this I will have to watch out for, it sounds very good.

4. Right above the dessert area on the Lido deck there are stairs to go up
to the Panorama deck. You will find the Sur Mer restaurant, which has
incredible seafood. People miss this place for some reason.

Thanks to you I will keep an eye out for it.

5. Avoid the art auctions.

Matter of opinion, I enjoy the art auctions. If any one does attend,
they should do their research first.

7. There is a great coffee place on the Promenade deck which sells lattes
and ice coffees.

Sounds wonderful. The one thing missing on most of our cruises has been
good coffee.

Thanks David, I am putting this in my Sleazy3 file, lots of good info here.

sue

Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
the short arm of the law

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:54:54 -0500, barnesk wrote:

On July 4th, I will be aboard the Conquest. Is there anything about
the Conquest that might be good to know at the beginning of the trip
and could make things more fun?

I agree diner at the point for $50.00 for two is price-less. Make sure
you make your way to the top deck when the Conquest sets sail, to see
that big baby do a 360 degree turn on the might Miss river is
priceless.Try not to miss any formal diners with the exception of the
night you go to the point. Of all the ports of call I enjoyed the
Grand Caymans the most and Montego Bay the least. Don't trust the
locals in Jamaica. Blue Mountain coffee isn't always blue mountain
coffee............ If you know what I mean.

Of all my cruises (14), the Conquest is top of the list. The ship is
wonderful!

short arm

Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM
BlueM0ZARK

For the guys a Tux would be best (black tie) and a formal for the ladies

sure, a tux on Carnival...
got any more good jokes?
Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM
David C Jacobson

Kevin- In mentioning to the OP to avoid the art auctions, I did not say why.
I enjoyed sitting in them, but not knowing much about artists and art, I
ended up spending $400 I was not budgeting in my vacation (half of it on a
Kinkade that I still haven't gotten framed because it will cost $300-500!).
My TA did not tell me that art auctions were on the ship. While I got some
nice things to decorate the home, I think I got carried away a bit. Others
in attendance spent much more than myself, but still $400 is quite a bit
nonetheless. When I was on the Holiday in May, I took it easy and spent
less. I agree with you in that some research would have been more beneficial
for me before going.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Tom & Linda

$300-$500 to frame it? No way.

Gerry's Artarama (mail order) has frames MUCH cheaper than that. I'm
thinking in the $30-40 range, with pre made sections that you buy
separately. Same with Graphic Dimensions (pictureframes.com). They sell
them in pairs (horizontal pieces and vertical pieces). You assemble them
yourself with a screw driver.

Or go to a store like AC Moore and look for frames there.

They also sell mats, many pre cut. Or they can cut you a mat (or double
mat). Then see if they have glass, or find a glass store for a piece of
glass.

I bet you can do it yourself for under $50-$70 with double matting. You can
even get your own mat cutter if you have more than one picture to frame. I
got a mat cutter for about $19. Uncut 36"x48" mat boards are about $5 each
(or something like that). I've probably cut 30-40 mats for needlepoint and
things like that in our house over the years. It's not that hard, though
double matting can get a little tricky.

Don't pay $500 for a frame. That's a rip off.

--Tom