Happy Birthday!

Old July 4th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Default OT- Happy Birthday USA!

Thank you, Jean.

I seem to gather that you disagree with Danni and me politically, so I don't
want to make the following appear to be political, but I am sure that it
will.

43 minutes from the beginning of July 4th it saddens me to report the death
by beheading of a United States soldier.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Militants said on Saturday they had beheaded U.S. Marine
Wassef Ali Hassoun, the second reported killing of a kidnapped American
soldier in Iraq (news - web sites) this week.

The story is at http://makeashorterlink.com/?T27C317B8

As that famous American statesman, Rodney King, once said, why can't we all
get along?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
om...

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
Thanks for the fireworks, Jean.

You're welcome, Dick and I intended to add the words that you so

eloquently
put in the Canada Day post with the fireworks url and forgot ~~so here

they
are!

and, of course, the upcoming celebration of the 228th anniversary, this
Sunday, of America's emancipation from British rule.

My wish, this day, is for the safety of all the Americans who are in

harm's
way to defend our right to celebrate our freedom..

May nobody be harmed in the defense of liberty.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

AMEN! And God Bless America!!

--Jean~~better late than never ;-)

--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
. com...
Your own fireworks!

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/10fwd/lady/LLa/LL.html

Old July 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Lee

Used to fly our flag a lot until, would you believe, someone stole it !!
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
om...

"Heather" wrote in message
Everyone have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July Holiday. It's a goofy

post,
but
one with good intentions. I know it's a day early, but we are evading in

few
hours and I will be giving the computer a day's rest on the 4th to

partake
in
far more important endeavors such as heavy partying nod, chuckle &

grin.

Sorry for altering your thread a little, Heather, but my intentions are
sincere! ;-)
Happy 4th of July to everyone and don't forget to fly your flags AND count
your blessings!

--Jean

Old July 4th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Diva

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBLJEI17WD.html

http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D1994872

June

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message =
Not that I "google", Sue, but the only site that I could find that =

confirmed
what you and Danni have said was the Atlanta Constitution, a site =

which
requires not only registration, but registration which requires the =

answers
to questions they do not need to know.
=20
So I will go with you and Danni and somehow survive without the =

Atlanta
Constitution.
=20
It is nights like this when I wish I could survive without Atlanta's
contribution to Philadelphia, Kevin Millwood.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

=20
=20
"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
Thanks for the fireworks, Jean.

I am not too sure about the rules, but I know that President =

Reagan died
on
June 5th and President Bush ordered flags to be flown at half =

staff for
thirty days. It would therefore be my understanding that those =

who fly
the
flag should go back to normal on Monday.

I heard on the radio today, that Bush has ended the mourning period, =

so
flags would not have to be flown at half staff on the 4th.

sue

=20

Old July 4th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Lee" wrote in message
Used to fly our flag a lot until, would you believe, someone stole it !!

Same here, Lee. I have a flag that was a gift from a friend whose son had
graduated from West Point. Didn't dare fly it after 9/11 because people
were stealing flags left and right--presumably to display their
'patriotism'.

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today. I wonder how many
self-described 'Proud Americans' could pass even a basic civics quiz, like
naming their state representative, state senator, congressman, or even name
one amendment to the US Constitution. How many are registered to vote, let
alone exercise that right?

We Americans take a lot for granted, including our freedoms.

Old July 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Charles

In article et, Skip
Elliott Bowman wrote:

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today.

I think some would have a **** if they remembered it celebrates a
revolution where people took up arms agianst the legal government of
the time.

--
Charles
Old July 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article et, Skip
Elliott Bowman wrote:

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of

them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today.

I think some would have a **** if they remembered it celebrates a
revolution where people took up arms agianst the legal government of
the time.

--
Charles

There's always an "out". All you've got to say is that you don't recognize
the legality of the government in charge.

--Tom

Old July 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Rosalie B.

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
Used to fly our flag a lot until, would you believe, someone stole it !!

Same here, Lee. I have a flag that was a gift from a friend whose son had
graduated from West Point. Didn't dare fly it after 9/11 because people
were stealing flags left and right--presumably to display their
'patriotism'.

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today. I wonder how many
self-described 'Proud Americans' could pass even a basic civics quiz, like
naming their state representative, state senator, congressman, or even name
one amendment to the US Constitution. How many are registered to vote, let
alone exercise that right?

We Americans take a lot for granted, including our freedoms.

We in the USA have always flown our national flag far more than people
in other countries do. I have heard visitors ask about it - why do we
have flags on our houses etc. But we've had flags on our house, and
now on our boat for some time. I was kind of put off by all the
people that suddenly had flags after 9-11.

If you ever watch Leno quiz people on the street (Jay Walking) - like
he did Friday night in honor of the 4th you would be horrified -
teachers who do not know the answers to basic questions about US
government. Like when was the Declaration of Independence adopted,
and who is the Vice President.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Tom & Linda

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

We in the USA have always flown our national flag far more than people
in other countries do. I have heard visitors ask about it - why do we
have flags on our houses etc. But we've had flags on our house, and
now on our boat for some time. I was kind of put off by all the
people that suddenly had flags after 9-11.

I was MORE put off by people who put American flags on Foreign made cars

--Tom

Old July 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Lunyma

So many people call this holiday the 4th of July. I wonder if any of them
actually know what it is we're celebrating today. I wonder how many
self-described 'Proud Americans' could pass even a basic civics quiz, like
naming their state representative, state senator, congressman, or even name
one amendment to the US Constitution. How many are registered to vote, let
alone exercise that right?

We Americans take a lot for granted, including our freedoms.

I'll be honest here... Had I not ever *needed* to know the names of the people
in the positions you named... I probably wouldn't, or couldn't. I know the
name of one of our state representatives, only because he used to be the mayor
of our village. I only know the names of our senator and congressmen, because
my son applied to the the air force academy, a few years ago, and needed a
nomination from one of them. The constitution??? I barely passed the test in
HS (ages ago), but could probably come up with something. I was never good at
history, and never cared. I AM registered to vote, although I haven't, since I
was 18 (a LONG time ago)...
Ya know what??? Today is just another day to me... I appreciate my freedom,
but abhor some of the things that our govt. supports... Regardless.. I am an
American, and proud to be one...
How's THAT for honesty???