Choice of travel camera

Old December 11th, 2004, 11:51 PM
jsmith

Default Choice of travel camera

We are in the age of digital cameras like it or not. But don't be sucked
into those unwieldy complex cameras that have limited storage too quickly.
The old reliable 35 mm film cameras are still the cameras of choice. They
are simple to use and offer a wide choice of films. The main advantage these
cameras offer in this era of computers and CDs is the fact that when the
film is taken into Eckerds for developing you can have the images processed
onto a CD without having prints made. Total cost is $4.00. If later on you
wish to either print some of the better images using your computer or by
returning the negatives to the photo finisher you will always have two
convenient archives of the images, one CD and the other negatives. I fully
expect all the jackasses will respond to this posting with their usual
idiotic comments, but I know what I am talking about! So have a ball.

Old December 12th, 2004, 12:44 AM
HDawson228

JSmith. Just because some have differing views does not mean they are idiots.
I put away my semi-pro Canon A1 with 28-90 mm Vivitar series one several years
ago. I now use an Olympus 4mb for all my pics. Recently had some 12X18s made
(3.50 ea) and the results were very satifying. One hour after returning from a
cruise, family has my pics via email. Also, standard 4X6 prints (with or
without borders) are .17 ea at Costco. 8X10s are 2.50. I have the ability to
make many changes to the images on the computer. Even the venerable Kodak is
making quite a changeover to digital because that is tomorrow's business.
Don't get me wrong, I've had loads of fun with 35mm in the
PAST.

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:40 AM
jsmith

Your point is well taken. My final sentences were directed to those idiots
who begin a series of airheaded discussions about virtually nothing other
than to have themselves heard with the intention of appearing clever. Such
activity permeates many of the Usenet groups. I use both kinds of cameras
myself having enjoyed photography for nearly 65 years. My favorite camera
remains a Leica IIIf. Damn hard to load though. Thanks for your comments.

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:26 AM
jsmith

Repeating for your benefit . . . My final sentences were directed to those

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
"jsmith" wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I love both my 35 mm Minolta with all the lenses I've been able
to collect for it over the years, but I also love my new automatic
digital camera. In fact, I like it so much, my next big purchase will
be a 35 mm digital with a wide angle lens for starters.

I like all kinds of photography, having learned early on how to
develop my own B&W photos in the dark room at college. I was so
enamored, I built a dark room in my mother's basement and spent many
hot summer evenings in that basement with my second hand enlarger, the
smell of stop bath and developer permeating the place.

I love the immediacy of digital, along with the software on my laptop
for travel or the desktop for at home. Both formats are very
interesting, I enjoy both, but I don't think I'd go so far as to call
someone a "jackass" for disagreeing or insisting that only *I* know
what I'm talking about when it comes to photography.

To each his or her own.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old December 12th, 2004, 06:45 AM
SONNY

"jsmith" wrote in message
news:1102808647.f0570179d023575f8298894274dd78e9@s onicnews...
[...]

Who's the jackass here with the idiotic comments?

I guess I must be really gullible for getting sucked into one of those
unwieldy complex digital cameras that have limited storage too quickly. I
could never figure out how to set it on auto and just snap away. Storage is
really a problem. I have two 512mg disk that gives me 640 5 meg pictures.
That could never be enough. My old reliable $300 35mm camera was much
better. I loved having to change film just at the most convenient time and
waiting until after I had the film delevoped to see if it was a good shot.
I usually kept about 15 pictures out of 36 exposures.

Sorry, but you can't sell me on the idea taking my 35mm camera with me on my
next cruise. Since I used my digital on my last two cruise I'm more than
happy with the results. But, what do I know? I'm just a jackass with
another idiotic comment.
Care to look at what my 5meg digital does on auto setting?
www.sonnyv.smugmug.com

Old December 12th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Monica

When I "went digital" 3 years ago, I thought I would still use my 35mm for
the "important pictures". I haven't taken one picture with my 35mm film
camera in three years. Why should I? What can it do that my digital Oly
can't? Let's see...with my digital, I have 10X OPTICAL zoom (27X digital)
with Image Stabilizer ( a must for handheld pictures over 6X zoom). I have
a wide angle lens attachment. A telephoto lens that gives me another 1.7X
optical zoom. A macro lens (and flash diffuser) for those SUPER close up
pictures. A TTL external flash that increases my flash photography about 3X
the distance and offers bounce flash for indirect (and more natural)
lighting. I have a rechargeable digi-power pack that is the equivalent to
about 4 sets of batteries. 90 super high quality pictures to one 128mb
card. I can take pictures over and over and over again, previewing them "on
the fly" to see if they're keepers, if they're not, delete and make room for
more pictures. I don't have to worry about "wasting film" and then waiting
till I get home to see if the shots turned out OK. I can manually override
most any camera setting, as well as "point and shoot" or have the options of
preset modes. Uploading pictures to my computer and using a photo editing
program such as Photoshop Elements allows me to tweak and/or fix anything I
see fit I can burn my pictures to a CD and be done with it or take said
CD to Walmart for developing. And...mega pixel isn't everything. Look what
a lowly little 2.1mp camera can do, hand held, with a TCON 1.7X lens and the
ALL important feature, image stabilizer. Oh, btw, this picture is full
DIGITAL zoom. Digital cameras are here to stay and I couldn't be happier
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/17687508

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM
StevenN2WJ

"jsmith" wrote in
[...]

I have been using a 3MP Olympus for quite some time now, and love the
ability to post and/or e-mail the photos instantly. I tried to persuade my
wife to convert to digital from her 35mm Oly, but she resisted. Recently,
we were in BJ's and she started to look at the Olympus C60, and after
research and discussion, she bought one. She used it during a recent
cruise on the MS Zaandam, and now she is totally hooked on the C60. Some
of her comments to me regarding the camera we "I thought that it would
be more dificult to use", and "It's so easy to see the picture right away,
and to take another if I don't like it". This is from a person who does
not use a computer, and who has no interest in learning. lol Our photos
from the Zaandam trip are posted he
http://groups.msn.com/N2WJ/zaandamno...nw?albumlist=2
The photos from the C60 have "Bonnie" in the filename, the rest were taken
by me with an older C3000 Zoom. Flamers note, we are not pro
photographers..... lol

--
Veendam Feb 03 West Carib
Zuiderdam Sept 03 West Carib

N2WJ 10-80M, CW, QRP/CW, QRPp/CW, and SSB for New DX lol