Unable to Understand FF plans

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:45 AM

Default Unable to Understand FF plans

I must be missing out on something. Everyone swears by Frequent Flier
programs. I'm having trouble understanding the value in these programs.
What if a guy doesn't care about "being bumped" to a higher class.

All I really care about is getting the most dirt cheap fare from
point a to B even if it involves a C somewhere Is there any
value in these programs for a guy like me?

Honestly, all I've seen so far is that you pay full price
and might get an extra bag of pretzels or board a plane
5 minutes sooner. Sounds like a rip-off.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Peter schrieb:

All I really care about is getting the most dirt cheap fare from
point a to B even if it involves a C somewhere Is there any
value in these programs for a guy like me?

Honestly, all I've seen so far is that you pay full price
and might get an extra bag of pretzels or board a plane
5 minutes sooner. Sounds like a rip-off.

If you are a frequent flyer, then these things can be important.

From the airline's point of view, they are a necessity as they encourage
repeat business.

From the traveller's point of view, they add to ticket prices.

If he cares about them.

Regards, ULF
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Dave, that is exactly why I posted the question.
The programs literature is so convulted that I'm
unable to understand what a "free flight" consists of,
how many miles one must travel to obtain a free flight,
and which routes it is possible to use the free flight on.

Long and short, which carriers offer the best deal for
using miles to Canada and/or South America. I never travel
inside the US, and I place no value on domestic, States flights.

Dave Proctor wrote:
On 22 Feb 2005 21:45:29 -0800, wrote:

I must be missing out on something. Everyone swears by Frequent

Flier
programs. I'm having trouble understanding the value in these

programs.
What if a guy doesn't care about "being bumped" to a higher class.

All I really care about is getting the most dirt cheap fare from
point a to B even if it involves a C somewhere Is there any
value in these programs for a guy like me?

And if you can then get a flight for free which you would otherwise
not have the money to pay for?

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM
tim

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave, that is exactly why I posted the question.
The programs literature is so convulted that I'm
unable to understand what a "free flight" consists of,

Free flights are no longer free. You have to pay the taxes
and for Germany to UK it costs me more to pay the taxes
to LH than the total cost to FR (booked on six weeks
notice).
The only benefit is that I can usually get a FF flight on a
week's notice when the FR flights are full or charging
silly money.

As to earning points I used to get 1000 points per leg
for the cheapets economy fares, so 15-25 legs got me
a free flight. Now, the same ticket gives me 150 points
so earning enough for a free flight before they expire
is likely to be imposible.

tim

Old February 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Dave Proctor wrote:
On 22 Feb 2005 21:45:29 -0800,
wrote:

I must be missing out on something. Everyone swears by Frequent

Flier
programs. I'm having trouble understanding the value in these

programs.
What if a guy doesn't care about "being bumped" to a higher class.

How about reduced cost travel?

All I really care about is getting the most dirt cheap fare from
point a to B even if it involves a C somewhere Is there any
value in these programs for a guy like me?

Yes, but not much.

And if you can then get a flight for free which you would otherwise
not have the money to pay for?

Dave, that is exactly why I posted the question.
The programs literature is so convulted that I'm
unable to understand what a "free flight" consists of,
how many miles one must travel to obtain a free flight,
and which routes it is possible to use the free flight on.

Generally, and that's all we can discuss here, the
miles are usable anywhere on their schedule. However, there
are some extremely popular routes and there may only be
a handful of seats each day. The number of miles is usually
easily found, and generally ranges between about 20,000 and
40,000 miles. Double that if you want to take any flight you
want.

Long and short, which carriers offer the best deal for
using miles to Canada and/or South America. I never travel
inside the US, and I place no value on domestic, States flights.

There is a FF website someplace where folks contrast and
compare these kinds of interests.

Old February 25th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Dave Proctor

On 24 Feb 2005 14:03:19 -0800, "
wrote:

Long and short, which carriers offer the best deal for
using miles to Canada and/or South America. I never travel
inside the US, and I place no value on domestic, States flights.

There is a FF website someplace where folks contrast and
compare these kinds of interests.

http://www.flyertalk.com/

Dave

=====