December, 1-2 days in Helsinki, St Petersburg, or Moscow?

Old June 9th, 2008, 06:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
AlexZ

Default December, 1-2 days in Helsinki, St Petersburg, or Moscow?

Flying Us- Asia early December. At my age I can't take those
superlong nonstops and would like to break the journey in some city I
have not been to, which takes out London, Paris, Frankfurt etc.

Some possibilities are Helsinki, St Petersburg, and Moscow. Which one
would make the most enjoyable 1-2 day stop?

Thanks.
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
Gerald Oliver Swift

For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2 day
visit is simply not worth the hassle.

Helsinki can be a lot of fun in winter - but wrap up well !!

Gerry

Old June 9th, 2008, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
grusl[_3_]

"AlexZ" wrote in message

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message
Flying Us- Asia early December. At my age I can't take those
superlong nonstops and would like to break the journey in some city I
have not been to, which takes out London, Paris, Frankfurt etc.

Some possibilities are Helsinki, St Petersburg, and Moscow. Which one
would make the most enjoyable 1-2 day stop?

For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2 day
visit is simply not worth the hassle.

Helsinki can be a lot of fun in winter - but wrap up well !!

Could Kiev be an option? I think Ukraine has visa-free entry for lots of
countries now, and it seems a pretty cool city - Moscow lite? - from what
I've read.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
AlexZ

grusl wrote:

: Could Kiev be an option?

Will look into it, thanks!
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
AlexZ

: For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2 day
: visit is simply not worth the hassle.

How much does it cost, just in case you happen to know?
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
grusl[_3_]

"AlexZ" wrote in message
: For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2 day
: visit is simply not worth the hassle.

How much does it cost, just in case you happen to know?

I believe it's not so much the price as the effort involved ... faxes,
invitation letters and depositing money with a travel agent.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

"grusl" wrote:
"AlexZ" wrote in message
: For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2 day
: visit is simply not worth the hassle.

How much does it cost, just in case you happen to know?

I believe it's not so much the price as the effort involved ... faxes,
invitation letters and depositing money with a travel agent.

I had heard that there were some excursions to St Petersburg (perhaps by
boat?) that avoided some of this paperwork. But I don't know any details.

--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
]...
"grusl" wrote:
"AlexZ" wrote in message
: For Moscow and St. Pete's you will need a Russian visa, which for a 2
day
: visit is simply not worth the hassle.

How much does it cost, just in case you happen to know?

I believe it's not so much the price as the effort involved ... faxes,
invitation letters and depositing money with a travel agent.

I had heard that there were some excursions to St Petersburg (perhaps by
boat?) that avoided some of this paperwork. But I don't know any details.

There are boat trips in summer, but in winter that end of the Baltic is
frozen solid.

Gerry

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
Markku Grönroos

"Gerald Oliver Swift" kirjoitti

There are boat trips in summer, but in winter that end of the Baltic is
frozen solid.

Icebreakers keep the waterways open during the winter months.

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel
Elena[_2_]

"AlexZ"
Flying Us- Asia early December. At my age I can't take those
superlong nonstops and would like to break the journey in some city I
have not been to, which takes out London, Paris, Frankfurt etc.

Some possibilities are Helsinki, St Petersburg, and Moscow. Which one
would make the most enjoyable 1-2 day stop?

Thanks.

Dear Alex,

I'd advise you to stop in Saint-Petersburg. I'd agree that Helsinki and
Moscow would be boring.
There is lots to see in Saint-Petersburg. Although you wouldn't have the
possibility to take a boat trip- it will be winter in December, you will
enjoy the city covered by snow ( hopefully!:-) its beautiful squares,
palaces, bridges and museums. Hermitage is worth to visit. Definately
two-day stop, the more is better. Now goverment discusse about two- day stop
without visas. But still if you take a visa it is worth to stop at
Saint-Petersburg - beleive me, I'm an expert because for many years I work
as a tour guide the
www.guided-tour.spb.ru
Feel free asking questions regarding your trip. Elena