Flying UK to Brisbane with a 5 month old child - airline suggestions?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Tommy Gilchrist

Default Flying UK to Brisbane with a 5 month old child - airline suggestions?

Folks

We're travelling to Brisbane for a wedding in March and it will be our
first flight with our new bundle of joy who will be 5 months old at
the time (might as well start with a nice easy flight!)

We were wondering if anyone could recommend a good, infant friendly,
airline for the trip? I've found some recommendations for Qantas but
they're five or six years out of date. Also a friend of a friend of a
friend has recommended Emirates as good for infants. Can anyone
confirm or deny this?

Also any other suggestions for the flight (other than don't do it -
I've already tried that one) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tommy

Old January 4th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Jan

Tommy Gilchrist wrote:
Folks

We're travelling to Brisbane for a wedding in March and it will be our
first flight with our new bundle of joy who will be 5 months old at
the time (might as well start with a nice easy flight!)

We were wondering if anyone could recommend a good, infant friendly,
airline for the trip? I've found some recommendations for Qantas but
they're five or six years out of date. Also a friend of a friend of a
friend has recommended Emirates as good for infants. Can anyone
confirm or deny this?

Also any other suggestions for the flight (other than don't do it -
I've already tried that one) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tommy

Emirates are an excellent airline. We would now always travel Long Haul with
them, if possible.
Although we personally haven't travelled with children, On the KUL (Dubai)
LGW route, they seem very child friendly and the cabin staff helpful
(There are often lone femail travellers with young babies and toddlers).
HTH
Jan

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM
A Mate

BA, Qantas and Singapore would be my choices - in that order!!

The other Asian airlines provide excellent service for 'business'
passengers - but they're not red hot with kids!!!

"Tommy Gilchrist" wrote in
message ...

Old January 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Robin

Hi Tommy,
From my experience working in the Travel Industry in the UK and talking to
others who have travelled with infants, I would suggest either
BA/Qantas, Emirates or Cathay Pacific - but it all boils down to the
individual flight attendants you get on the day.
BA - always a safe bet to fly with people from your own country
Emirates - a superb airline, very friendly, helpful and efficient (also my
personal favourite)
Cathay - a great reputation for being child friendly

Where are you from in the UK?? Flying from your local airport (eg
Birmingham) is also an advantage.
Note that Emirates flights to Brisbane are UK-Dubai (8-hrs) Dubai-Singapore
(8-hrs) Singapore-Brisbane (8-hrs)
The majority of all other airlines have just the one stop - eg
London-Singapore (13-hrs) Singapore-Brisbane (8-hrs)
I am not sure which would be best the one or two stops.

The following may be of interest
http://www.flyingwithkids.com
http://www.southwest.com.au/~lockley/Babies_fly.htm
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ch_text=babies http://www.emirates.com/au/Traveller...avel.aspPlease feel free to contact me for more information.Robin"Tommy Gilchrist" wrote inmessage ... Folks We're travelling to Brisbane for a wedding in March and it will be our first flight with our new bundle of joy who will be 5 months old at the time (might as well start with a nice easy flight!) We were wondering if anyone could recommend a good, infant friendly, airline for the trip? I've found some recommendations for Qantas but they're five or six years out of date. Also a friend of a friend of a friend has recommended Emirates as good for infants. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also any other suggestions for the flight (other than don't do it - I've already tried that one) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tommy

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
David Cummins

Hi Tommy,

I live in Brisbane. My English brother-in-law emigrated here recently with
his wife and kids. They flew Singapore on their way here with 2 young boys.

They are currently back in the UK on holidays and they flew Emirates. He
rang the other day and said that Emirates were far below Singapore in their
child services. Some examples were :-

- Ran out of kids meals but weren't proactive in sorting it out. Had to be
asked after the kids waited for ages.
- Required you to push your stroller onto the plane yourself and store -
whereas Singapore took care of it all.
- When they got off the plane Singapore always had the stoller waiting for
them whereas Emirates did not, and said they would not even get the stroller
back until they landed in Manchester despite having airport stops to contend
with.

Also, did not have any vege meals depite his wife pre-ordering - she had to
survive on chocolate.

He said they may be fine/good for adults.

He is now going to ring the airline to sort it all out before they do the
return leg to OZ.

David