walmart clothes

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM
amunger

Default walmart clothes

I am joining my parents on an alaska cruise on the dimond princess. It
is something my 70 year old parents have always wanted to do. We are
not well off our clothes are nice but not real expensive are we going
to feel uncomfortable? Thanks for you help.

--
amunger
amunger's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=849

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Larry

It doesn't matter what brand your clothes are....what matters is that they
are clean and in a good state of repair. If more formal attire is not in
your closet, you can always forego the formal nights and just eat in the
casual dining restaurants.
I'll be on the Diamond Princess to Mexico on March 26.

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Theresa

You will be fine. During the day, people will be very casual. You will
see a lot of sweatshirts, jeans, long sleave tshirts, etc...

At night on smart casual nights - wear something that you would wear to
a nice restaurant. I would avoid jeans. Pants and polos are fine for
guys and gals can either wear casual dresses or pants and a nice top.
On formal nights (there will be 2 of them) - it does get dressy. It
doesn't have to be expensive but something you would wear if you were
going out on New Years. If you don't have anything very formal - I
wouldn't go out and buy anything, I would just wear a simple black
dress, etc. .

There will be a lot of variations in what people wear. Just relax and
enjoy your trip. You are going to love Alaska!

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Surfer E2468

Do not worry about your clothes,just go and have a great cruise,if any
one does not like what you wear,let them buy you new clothes,my
experience in our 36 cruises,we have seen a lot of people with a lot of
money,that really looked like a bunch of slobs.
Am sure you will have a good time.
surfer e2468

Old February 24th, 2005, 07:40 AM

I am joining my parents on an alaska cruise on the dimond
princess......our clothes are nice but not real expensive are we going
to feel uncomfortable?

I assume this is the seven day cruise, which we will be doing in about
three months. During the day onboard and while on shore anything clean
and holeless will do. I have even seen newer overall, complete with
straw cowboy hat on the old Sea Princess. Dress as if your GOING to
Kmart and you may run into friends while there.

Your cruise will have seven dinners, five casual and two formal. If
you eat very carefully, you could get away with one set of clothes and
eat personnel choce for the five casual night since you won't be eating
with the same people. Or, two pair of slacks, three shirts and do the
mix and match thing for the five nights.

Now for the formal nights. Yes the food is a little better, but that's
not all. Photographers doing possed shots with back grounds, large
partys and knowing Princess, a chapange waterfall. Your paying for all
this, why miss it. My first two cruise, for formal nights, I wore a
$1.73 thift store dark suit with two nice solid colored shirts (that
did double duty during the rest of the week). You have spent YOUR money
for this trip. Your there to have fun, not to get the approval of
anyone.

Do this, pack whatever you have that you would wear to a high end
resturant. Keep your mind open and hang around the public areas at
6-6:30 on formal nights. You will see tux, suits, military dress and
maybe even a kilt or two. Then make up your mind, you still have plenty
of time to get dressed for the lobster in the main rooms, or stew on
the Lido deck.

By the way, that $1.73 suit has been retired. A slightly used P. Ellis
thift store suit ($20) now hangs in the closet waiting to be taken out
to sea.

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM

I have sailed on HAL, Carnival, and Princess over the last two and
one-half years. On each cruise, some men wore tuxes on formal nights,
while others wore suits, sport jackets and matching attire, or nice
slacks and shirts with collars in the dining room. About the only hard
and fast cruise ship rule was no shorts and no t-shirts in the dining
room. For the uppity ups who put on formal wear and don't like to see
the proletariat wear slacks and shirts with collars on formal night,
tough #$*#.

John

Old February 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:34:23 -0600, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Heck, I bought a very nice Brooks Brothers tux on Ebay for $50. Even
counting the shirts, shoes and accessories, I had less than $100 in it.

You don't have to buy new or rent to have a tux at a reasonable price.

Lloyd

Found the same tux for Hubby at $110 all the trimmings at a discount
outlet...including alterations.