June Japan trip draft itinerary

Old April 1st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Eric Reid

Default June Japan trip draft itinerary

Hello all,

I know that a lot of 'comment on our itinerary' posts are made in
these groups, yet it seems an excellent source of anecdotal
information!

My 16-year-old daughter and I planning for an 11-day trip to Japan in
June. I have been to Tokyo four times on business in the past 12 years
and speak some basic Nihongo; my daughter is in her second year of
intensive high-school Nihongo, and adores Anime, Manga, Go, and almost
anything else Japanese (I know, I know, that's a blanket statement!)

Specifics questions:
* Recommendations for moderately-priced ryokan in the Osaka
or Kyoto areas?
* Recommendations for Kabuki theatre? Better in Tokyo?
* Best bets for Anime/Manga-obsessed teens around Tokyo?
Studio tours? Conventions happening during that time?
* Am assuming Japan in June is rife with tourists, and
reservations should be made in advance for lodging

Here's what I have so far, with only the air travel being set
in stone:

Japan Itinerary for June 17-28

| Day | Area | Lodging | Activities
| | | |
| | | @Kinshicho |
| 2 | Tokyo | (on points) | Siteseeing: highlights to hit include
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Ginza, Tokyo
| | | v | Tower, Asakusa
| | | v | Evening: visit with friends
| | | v |
| 3 | Yokohama | v | Siteseeing: Sankei-en, Moto-machi,
| | | v | Chinatown
| | | v | Relaxation
| | | v |
| 4 | Tokyo- | | Travel: Checkout; start 7d JR passes
| | Osaka | ^ | Shinkansen to Osaka/Kyoto; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: Osaka TBD
| | | Ryokan TBD |
| 5 | Kyoto | v | Siteseeing: Kyoto University,
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Nijo-ji Castle
| | | v |
| | | v |
| 6 |Hiroshima | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Hiroshima
| | | v | Siteseeing: Peace Park, Memorials,
| | | v | Hiroshima-jo, Hon-dori
| | | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Osaka
| | | v |
| 7 | Osaka- | | Travel: Checkout; Shinkansen to
| | Nagoya | Westin | Nagoya; checkin
| | | Nagoya | Siteseeing: Nagoya Castle + TBD
| | | (on points) |
| 8 | Nagoya- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Hakone; checkin
| | Hakone | Ryokan TBD | Siteseeing: Hiking, National Park + TBD
| | | v |
| 9 | Hakone- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Tokyo; checkin
| | Tokyo | Ryokan or | Siteseeing: Anime, Akihabara
| | | Hotel TBD | Evening: visit with friends
| | | v |
| 10 | Tokyo | | Siteseeing: Harajuku street scene,
| | | Hilton | shopping
| | | Narita | Travel: JR to Narita; checkin
| | | (on points) | Siteseeing: around Narita TBD
| | | v |
| 11 | Narita | | Travel: checkout; depart Narita 1100

Many thanks in advance for your insights!

- Eric Reid
Richland, MI

Old April 1st, 2004, 10:10 PM
Matthew Endo

Eric Reid wrote:

Some comments on lodging:

| | | Marriott | on Tokyo's east side
| | | @Kinshicho |
| 2 | Tokyo | (on points) | Siteseeing: highlights to hit include

I would try to get the Marriott Tobu in Ginza, I think it might be in a
different point class, but a much better location for the activities you
want to do.

| 7 | Osaka- | | Travel: Checkout; Shinkansen to
| | Nagoya | Westin | Nagoya; checkin
| | | Nagoya | Siteseeing: Nagoya Castle + TBD
| | | (on points) |

Make sure you get a twin room (I assume that's what you will get if you
are travelling with your daughter) since those face the castle. There's
also a park which has a great view of the castle which is on the road
behind the castle, a jog from your hotel.

--
Matt

Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
John W.

Eric Reid wrote:
Hello all,

Specifics questions:
* Recommendations for moderately-priced ryokan in the Osaka
or Kyoto areas?
* Recommendations for Kabuki theatre? Better in Tokyo?
* Best bets for Anime/Manga-obsessed teens around Tokyo?
Studio tours? Conventions happening during that time?

I'd find an anime/manga club in your area; most regions have them. They
should have some information or know where to find it.

* Am assuming Japan in June is rife with tourists, and
reservations should be made in advance for lodging

Probably a good idea if you can, but not a requirement. At that time of
year you shouldn't have too many problems finding a room.

Here's what I have so far, with only the air travel being set
in stone:

Japan Itinerary for June 17-28

| Day | Area | Lodging | Activities
| | | |
| 1 | Tokyo | | Travel: 15.5h total airtime; arrive
| | | ^ | Narita 1500; coach to hotel; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: possibly something close
| | | Marriott | on Tokyo's east side
| | | @Kinshicho |
| 2 | Tokyo | (on points) | Siteseeing: highlights to hit include
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Ginza, Tokyo
| | | v | Tower, Asakusa
| | | v | Evening: visit with friends
| | | v |
| 3 | Yokohama | v | Siteseeing: Sankei-en, Moto-machi,
| | | v | Chinatown
| | | v | Relaxation
| | | v |
| 4 | Tokyo- | | Travel: Checkout; start 7d JR passes
| | Osaka | ^ | Shinkansen to Osaka/Kyoto; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: Osaka TBD
| | | Ryokan TBD |
| 5 | Kyoto | v | Siteseeing: Kyoto University,
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Nijo-ji Castle
| | | v |
| | | v |
| 6 |Hiroshima | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Hiroshima
| | | v | Siteseeing: Peace Park, Memorials,
| | | v | Hiroshima-jo, Hon-dori
| | | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Osaka
| | | v |
| 7 | Osaka- | | Travel: Checkout; Shinkansen to
| | Nagoya | Westin | Nagoya; checkin
| | | Nagoya | Siteseeing: Nagoya Castle + TBD
| | | (on points) |
| 8 | Nagoya- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Hakone; checkin
| | Hakone | Ryokan TBD | Siteseeing: Hiking, National Park + TBD
| | | v |
| 9 | Hakone- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Tokyo; checkin
| | Tokyo | Ryokan or | Siteseeing: Anime, Akihabara
| | | Hotel TBD | Evening: visit with friends
| | | v |
| 10 | Tokyo | | Siteseeing: Harajuku street scene,
| | | Hilton | shopping
| | | Narita | Travel: JR to Narita; checkin
| | | (on points) | Siteseeing: around Narita TBD
| | | v |
| 11 | Narita | | Travel: checkout; depart Narita 1100

You might not have time for it, but I'd try to work in a visit to Himeji
(West of Osaka). It's a nice side trip (at least half a day) and one of
the finest castles in the country. Also, see if you can fly out of
Kansai; airlines sometimes let you do this. It would save you a little
time and some hassle of traveling back to a place that you've pretty
much already seen. If you can do that then work your way from Tokyo
(visit Hakone from there or on your way West) to Nagoya, then the Kansai
region. And I'd probably say that unless you just want to see Hiroshima
you can probably do without and use that time elsewhere, like in Kyoto.
Some of the must sees include Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, and Kiyomizu (in
addition to the places you've alread noted). In Osaka make sure you
visit Shinsaibashi in the early evening; kind of cool. Finally, you
should look into having your luggage shipped from one destination to the
other; not sure how much it costs, but it's worth it if you can afford
it (unless you are packing light or just want to haul everything around).

John W.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:24 AM
Iceman

My 16-year-old daughter and I planning for an 11-day trip to Japan in
June. I have been to Tokyo four times on business in the past 12 years
and speak some basic Nihongo; my daughter is in her second year of
intensive high-school Nihongo, and adores Anime, Manga, Go, and almost
anything else Japanese (I know, I know, that's a blanket statement!)

Specifics questions:
* Recommendations for moderately-priced ryokan in the Osaka
or Kyoto areas?
* Recommendations for Kabuki theatre? Better in Tokyo?

You can buy one-hour kabuki tickets for 1000(?) yen. I'd strongly
recommend that rather than the far more expensive full evening ticket
unless you're really sure you want to watch the whole thing.

* Best bets for Anime/Manga-obsessed teens around Tokyo?

Shibuya and Harajuku are the centers of Tokyo youth culture, so I'd
check there.

Studio tours? Conventions happening during that time?
* Am assuming Japan in June is rife with tourists, and
reservations should be made in advance for lodging

June is the rainy season in Tokyo (and Kyoto also?), so it pours
almost every day and it's the worst time to come. Tourism in Japan is
mostly domestic, and that's one of the slowest months, so no problem
finding accomodations unless you're there during a festival. Tokyo is
way overbuilt for hotels anyway because of the construction boom in
the 1980's, so there are a lot of (relative) discounts.

Here's what I have so far, with only the air travel being set
in stone:

Japan Itinerary for June 17-28

| Day | Area | Lodging | Activities
| | | |
| 1 | Tokyo | | Travel: 15.5h total airtime; arrive
| | | ^ | Narita 1500; coach to hotel; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: possibly something close
| | | Marriott | on Tokyo's east side
| | | @Kinshicho |
| 2 | Tokyo | (on points) | Siteseeing: highlights to hit include
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Ginza, Tokyo
| | | v | Tower, Asakusa
| | | v | Evening: visit with friends

The Tokyo Tower is a tourist trap, costs like $15, and isn't worth
seeing. If you really want a view of the city several buildings in
Shinjuku have a free observation deck, and there are also restaurants
on top floors of many skyscrapers that have great views.

Ginza is basically a luxury shopping district, and there are much more
interesting places to spend your time.

The Imperial Palace grounds are open two days a year (not in June),
and the rest of the year you can't go anywhere near it.

Some things you should consider instead, depending on your interests:

Temples and traditional craft shops in Asakusa
The Meiji-Jingu Shrine
The Tsukiji fish market
East Shinjuku, especially at night (neon, crowds, the best place to
experience modern Japan)
Yoyogi Park on a Sunday afternoon (people watching)
The Yurikamome monorail to Odaiba (take it right before sundown so you
get a day view of Odaiba's futuristic buildings and a night view of
Tokyo Bay and the skyline)
The Edo-Tokyo Museum (history of Tokyo) or Tokyo National Museum (the
premier collection of Japanese art)
The 109 building in Shibuya, the entrance to Yoyogi Park, and
Take****a-Dori in Harajuku, and the areas around them for Tokyo youth
culture
Sumo Wrestling
Sugamo Sunday Market (like going 50 years back in time)
The Park Hyatt Hotel bar (from the movie "Lost in Translation")
The food floor of a Japanese department store
Daikanyama: the center of Tokyo's fashion and design scenes
Nikko (a day trip): has some of Japan's most historic and spectacular
shrines

| 3 | Yokohama | v | Siteseeing: Sankei-en, Moto-machi,
| | | v | Chinatown
| | | v | Relaxation

Don't bother with Yokohama on this short a trip. Spend an extra day
in Tokyo.

| 4 | Tokyo- | | Travel: Checkout; start 7d JR passes
| | Osaka | ^ | Shinkansen to Osaka/Kyoto; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: Osaka TBD
| | | Ryokan TBD |

Don't bother with Osaka - spend extra time in Kyoto.

| 5 | Kyoto | v | Siteseeing: Kyoto University,
| | | v | Imperial Palace, Nijo-ji Castle
| | | v |
| | | v |
| 6 |Hiroshima | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Hiroshima
| | | v | Siteseeing: Peace Park, Memorials,
| | | v | Hiroshima-jo, Hon-dori
| | | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Osaka
| | | v |
| 7 | Osaka- | | Travel: Checkout; Shinkansen to
| | Nagoya | Westin | Nagoya; checkin
| | | Nagoya | Siteseeing: Nagoya Castle + TBD

I'd omit Nagoya also and spend more time in Tokyo or Kyoto. If you
want to see a castle, see Himeji instead. Another option is Kanazawa,
which features a ninja temple and samurai houses.

| 8 | Nagoya- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Hakone; checkin
| | Hakone | Ryokan TBD | Siteseeing: Hiking, National Park + TBD

Check the weather for Hakone before you go; you don't want to get
rained out.

| 9 | Hakone- | | Travel: Checkout; JR to Tokyo; checkin
| | Tokyo | Ryokan or | Siteseeing: Anime, Akihabara
| | | Hotel TBD | Evening: visit with friends
| | | v |
| 10 | Tokyo | | Siteseeing: Harajuku street scene,
| | | Hilton | shopping
| | | Narita | Travel: JR to Narita; checkin
| | | (on points) | Siteseeing: around Narita TBD

I'd give yourself the last night in Tokyo, and leave for Narita in the
morning.

| 11 | Narita | | Travel: checkout; depart Narita 1100

Leave extra-early, the trip from Tokyo to Narita can take two hours.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Chris Kuan

"John W." wrote in message ...
Eric Reid wrote:

* Best bets for Anime/Manga-obsessed teens around Tokyo?
Studio tours? Conventions happening during that time?

This question should be also asked in rec.arts.anime.misc as there are
many who will give you the low-down, but here's a few starters:

- Akihabara (which you mention later) is the headquarters of Gamers,
and they have a 7-story shop there. I think they used to have more
than one, but I couldn't find the second shop a couple of weeks ago...
Also many other shops such as Animate and Mandarake, but those shops
are also elsewhere (e.g. Ikebukuro).
- The Ghibli Museum is located in Mitaka, about half and hour's train
ride west of Shinjuku (but you need to buy tickets in advance; contact
JTB in the USA for details).
- Conveniently located between Shinjuku and Mitaka is the Nakano train
stop; there is a shopping centre called "Broadway" which features
about 8 different Mandarake outlets and other figurine, cel and
collectibles shops (even shops for costumes).
- I think there's a Bandai museum as well, but dunno where it is. The
Toei Animation museum (basically one big room) is somewhere near
Ikebukuro, but IMO not really worth going out of your way to hunt
down.
- Oh and if she's seen Tokyo Tower destroyed many times in anime and
manga, I do think she'd get a kick out of going there.
- The Tezuka Osamu Manga Museum is in Takarazuka, about 30 minutes out
of Osaka by JR. Jolly good excursion for half a day.

| 4 | Tokyo- | | Travel: Checkout; start 7d JR passes
| | Osaka | ^ | Shinkansen to Osaka/Kyoto; checkin
| | | ^ | Siteseeing: Osaka TBD
| | | Ryokan TBD |

That's Sunday; hop over to the Osaka Castle park and check the youth
culture displaying itself along the path between the train station and
the castle itself.

| 6 |Hiroshima | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Hiroshima
| | | v | Siteseeing: Peace Park, Memorials,
| | | v | Hiroshima-jo, Hon-dori
| | | v | Travel: Shinkansen to Osaka

If you can squeeze it in the same day, go from Hiroshima down to
Miyajima (about 30 minutes by train) as well; Miyajima is the site of
the famous "Floating Gate" entrance to Itsukushima shrine and one of
Japan's 3 Most Picturesque Places. The island also has deer, like Nara
^_^

And yes, I managed to travel Osaka-Hiroshima-Miyajima and back in a
single day like a crazy tourist without killing myself...

--
Chris