Kenya (Mombasa) and the rainy season

Old December 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
KarenGreen

Default Kenya (Mombasa) and the rainy season

Can anyone advise me whether visiting Kenya, specifically the Diani
beach area, is a waste of time in the long rains season? I have seen a
bargain trip in April, but on investigation, the reason it's so cheap is
because of the time of year.

We will want to do a couple of days safari and also hopefully swimming
with dolphins - will the rain stop this kind of activity?

Any advice would be useful

Karen

--
KarenGreen
KarenGreen's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=354

Old December 20th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , KarenGreen
writes

Can anyone advise me whether visiting Kenya, specifically the Diani
beach area, is a waste of time in the long rains season? I have seen a
bargain trip in April, but on investigation, the reason it's so cheap is
because of the time of year.

We will want to do a couple of days safari and also hopefully swimming
with dolphins - will the rain stop this kind of activity?

Any advice would be useful

Karen

Karen,
You may get different answers on this one but the reason it`s cheap is
because it`s the low season, which is during the long rains. I did live
in Kenya for several years and I can say that you might be lucky and
the rains will be delayed or it will happen at night, which it often
does, but it is the start of the rains so nothing is guaranteed.
What happens during the rains is that evening eating outside may not be
possible etc. If you are prepared to accept that your holiday may be
spoiled, due to rain, and it really can be heavy rain, the discussion
really is yours.
Good luck!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old December 20th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:35:38 -0600, KarenGreen
wrote:

Can anyone advise me whether visiting Kenya, specifically the Diani
beach area, is a waste of time in the long rains season? I have seen a
bargain trip in April, but on investigation, the reason it's so cheap is
because of the time of year.

We will want to do a couple of days safari and also hopefully swimming
with dolphins - will the rain stop this kind of activity?

Any advice would be useful

Karen,

Pat already gave you very good advice. Just wanted to give you a
second opinion.

I recommend against visiting Kenya in April. The risk that your
vacation is spoiled by long spells of rain is not 100%, but it
is considerable.

Try to avoid mid-March to mid-May.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old December 20th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Liz

In message
"Bobby" wrote:

Is early Feb OK? What sort of temperatures can I expect?

Isn't your tour company providing you with any of this information?
*Should* be OK for rainfall, temperature varies from place to place.

Safari njema

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:37:13 -0000, "Bobby"
wrote:

Is early Feb OK? What sort of temperatures can I expect?

Bobby,

early February is high season in Kenya, a good time to watch
wildlife, particularly predators, but other people know that
too.

Temperatures depend on location, but are generally pleasant in
Kenya.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Bobby
writes

wrote:

[...]

February is the Hot season. There shouldn`t be much rain at all and on
the coast it will be thirty degrees plus, with some humidity. Up
country, away from the coast it will be in the upper twenties. Where we
were, on the lower Tana river and up in the North East, it can be around
forty degrees plus! If you go up to Lake Turkana the temps. will be
similar.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Edward Huckle

Liz wrote:
In message
"Bobby" wrote:

Is early Feb OK? What sort of temperatures can I expect?

Isn't your tour company providing you with any of this information?
*Should* be OK for rainfall, temperature varies from place to place.

Safari njema

Liz

you know Liz ..... believe it or not ... some people ...no never mind
.... well ok ... somc poeple actually go to Africa without a tour company
holding their hand. I know, it must sound preposturous to you (and many
others on this newsgroup).

I have seen it done - it is a horrible sight, you have to make your own
decisions and all kind of horrible things.