Any Wifi on cruise?

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Default Any Wifi on cruise?

On 3/4/2014 1:28 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 02:14:59 -0800, RayC wrote:

On 3/2/2014 9:43 AM,
wrote:
I agree totally not worth it. The internet is just not that important.
And if you think so then you need help. Anyone that uses thier cell
phone on a cruise ship needs help. Anyone that uses a cell phone in a
car needs help.
You are supossed to be on a vacation. away from the pointless cares
that are the internet. Man I swear to god if the world ended tomorrow
there would still be people complaining that thier cell phone did not
work or that thier internet connection just would not connect

For those people that just sit there and browse the net, it is a
terrific waste of money ... both for the internet charge and the cruise
itself. I buy the minimum size time pack so that I can send and receive
email. I log on, download the mail and then log off. Then I can read
and chose which ones I need to respond to. Then log in, send replies
and download new ones. This is the only way I can take longer cruises.

still you must lead a lonely life feekling the need to send and
recieve email. God forbid you miss email for a few days...

Says the man with "a bird 14 koi and a gerbil."

I think we're all tired of hearing you preach how just because you can't
see the need (or just desire) to remain connected during vacation that
there's no reason for anyone else to need or want to be. The question
was "is there wifi". There is. It's expensive. Some people want to use
and it's neither your place nor your right to tell them that they don't
need to. Mind your own business.

BTW how about if you can get free wifi in a port, would that be OK to use?
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 21:03:14 -0500, Bill
wrote:

still you must lead a lonely life feekling the need to send and
recieve email. God forbid you miss email for a few days...

Says the man with "a bird 14 koi and a gerbil."

actuallly I live in america jack. It is my right to say what I wish
and voice my opinions all I want. hey I have a suggestion for you.
ignore me, put me in your kill file, dont retrieve my headers, dont
read them, take your pick. and it is in fact none of your buisness

I think we're all tired of hearing you preach how just because you can't
see the need (or just desire) to remain connected during vacation that
there's no reason for anyone else to need or want to be. The question
was "is there wifi". There is. It's expensive. Some people want to use
and it's neither your place nor your right to tell them that they don't
need to. Mind your own business.

BTW how about if you can get free wifi in a port, would that be OK to use?

why would you want to? You are on vacation on a huge cruise ship with
something to do 24 hours a day. And when you are in port you are most
likely in a different country. Why not get out walk around explore a
different culture. That is exactly what I did and I had a blast doing
it. I paid no extra money for the excursions. I just walked and I
fully enjoyed myself.
What would you need or want tthe internet for? Do you think the people
at home would want you to take the time to email them call them or
whatever when you could be having the time of your life, checking off
that item on your bucket list, or whatever.....

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 3/5/2014 8:42 AM, Christine Cruiser wrote:
I heard you need a bucket full of those.

LOL

Absolutely!! At least for me, they work GREAT!!

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Providing high pressure breathing air compressors and accessories for
Fire Department, SCUBA, Paintball and industrial use since 1981
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 02:14:59 -0800, RayC
wrote:

Most ships have wi-fi now and most of them have it in your cabin.
It is not as slow as it was in the past although there are
occasional outages. If you buy by the minute it is often as much
as 75cents a minute. The more you buy, the less it is a minute.

Since I am retired, I do like to browse and also want to get
information about the places where I am. About half the time I
am traveling with a grandchild and want to send the parents a
report and photos that we take and also the grandchild wants to
write. On some ships you can download email, log off and then
answer, log back on and send the email. But that isn't so on all
of them

Sometimes the computers in the computer area don't work well and
many ships no longer have a computer person to help you get
connected.

One of the problems with Disney is that if you do not bring your
own computer, there is no computer area - you can borrow a
computer, but you can't write email off line on it because that
is the way it is configured.

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 22:57:13 -0400, Brian
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 23:01:22 -0600, wrote:

the fact that you are at sea I really dont see how a cell phone will
help you. lets say something bad were to happen and you got a phone
call saying someone had died. What are you going to do jump ship and
swwim back? or would you have to wait til you got to a port then get a
flight back more than likely several flights, including any travel
time to the airport and then having to wait for the flight and then
any layovers and then a taxi ride to your destination you could in
fact just finish your cruise and be home quicker or about the same
time. so what will a cell phone do besides ruin a good vacation? not
alot

Apparently you have never been involved in a situation where your
input was essential.
Or had anyone you cared about.
Yes, if we had found out that one of our mothers were dying, we would
have interrupted the trip and flown back.

well lets look at that. Lets say that you are on a 7 day cruise and
you have three days left on your cruise and your next port is cozumel.
also lets say that you are not a regular cruiser and you dont have a
passport. ok so you get a call that your mother has died or is about
to pass. as soon as you get to port you go to the airport and book a
flight to mexico city in order to get a flight back to your home city.
so after waiting several hours to get to mexico city your cruise ship
has already left. So after waiting for several hours to find a flight
that goes to your city or near your city but since it is noit a major
city you will have lets say two other stops so your flight will take
an additional day to get all the way from mexico to your home city. ok
you finally arrive at your home city at about the same time the boat
reaches its home port.
However because you did nopt have a passport you are heald up at the
airport until you are able to contact someone to get you a temporary
passport That is if you are even allowed to get on the plane which in
most cases you will not until you contact the us embassy in mexico
city which is where you will have to stay until you can get a
temporary passport which will take days. meanwhile the ship you were
on has docked and every passanger is now home. and yout mother has
died and had the funeral all the while you are in mexico city for
another week waiting for a passport
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

In article ,
Brian wrote:

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 23:01:22 -0600, wrote:

the fact that you are at sea I really dont see how a cell phone will
help you. lets say something bad were to happen and you got a phone
call saying someone had died. What are you going to do jump ship and
swwim back? or would you have to wait til you got to a port then get a
flight back more than likely several flights, including any travel
time to the airport and then having to wait for the flight and then
any layovers and then a taxi ride to your destination you could in
fact just finish your cruise and be home quicker or about the same
time. so what will a cell phone do besides ruin a good vacation? not
alot

Apparently you have never been involved in a situation where your
input was essential.

NOBODY'S input is THAT essential that one can't take a break for a week.

That you think so, is a sign of how scared you are that people DON'T
need your input.

Or had anyone you cared about.

That's fine, but as he said: what are you going to do about it in the
middle of the ocean? Swim back?

Yes, if we had found out that one of our mothers were dying, we would
have interrupted the trip and flown back.

If you knew your mother was going to die, would you have taken the trip
in the first place?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

wrote:

[...]

If you go on a cruise you should have a passport whether you are a
regular cruiser or not. There are a bunch of reasons why you might have
to or want to cut short your cruise and fly back. It could be your own
medical emergency.

So if you are a savvy person you have a passport. Then you can fly from
Cozumel to the US without an issue if there is any type of emergency.
Also a savvy person would be able to book a flight that gets back the
same day or the next day if space was available. You can fly from
Cozumel to the US. No need to fly thru Mexico City. The savvy person
has a phone to call airlines, or internet device to book flights, or a
concierge service from their travel insurance, or concierge service
with their credit card, so they don't leave the cruise unless suitable
travel arrangements are made.

--
Charles