Are Cruise deals over?

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:29 PM
dep_blueman

So, if you can't expect to get a better price from one TA to the next
then a lot of people will just book directly /w RCCL. Yes, some will
want the extra services a TA may offer but many don't need it; they
just want the lowest price on the right cruise. If I knew I could get
the lowest price directly /w Celebrity and felt I would get the
service I would need from them I don't know if I would book with a TA
or not.

With most TAs charging customers to book airline tickets (when other
higher commission travel is not booked) many consumers have gone
directly to the airline web sites. Even Expedia.com charges for
tickets! This is a direct result of the changes to the commission
structure by the airlines. Just like the airlines, you all know what
the next move will be. RCCL (and/or others) will start to 'adjust'
their commission structure to TAs. It may not be as drastic as the
air industry but it will move in that direction.

Just IMO.

-D

(FUNCRUISES) wrote in message ...
I just attended Royal Caribbean's Partners in Excellence Luncheon in Miami
yesterday. The meeting was conducted by Lisa Bauer, VP of Sales; Dan Hanrahan,
VP of Marketing; and Richard Fain, Chairman of Royal Caribbean himself were in
attendance.

All three spoke on this issue, and they made it perfectly clear that there will
be NO rebating of commission ONLINE or OFFLINE of Royal Caribbean or Celebrity
Cruises.

There will be no mail in rebates, no membership discounts, no password
protected websites that offer rebates, etc etc etc. In other words, no
rebating of Royal Caribbean cruises whatsoever.

Travel Agents may only promote and sell approved pricing promotions, which
includes group rates if the agency has them.

Whoever said book by August 15th at midnight was not kidding. Anyone caught
selling Royal Caribbean below Royal Caribbean's prices after 8/16 could be in
big trouble.

Carnival will allow agencies to offer discounts over the phone, but not online.

I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.

Better book em while you can.

Uf Tukel
WMPH Vacations
Home of CruiseCheap.com and AlaskaCruises.com
1-800-439-1909

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

Default Are Cruise deals over?

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 05:16:14 -0400, Charles wrote:

I won't be stampeded into making any bookings. Particularly with RCI.

Oooooooh, he's such a hunk, isn't he?

swooning at Chuck's manliness

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:15:56 GMT, Georgeny wrote:

NOW the process has evolved to the
point that they, cruiselines, in my humble opinion are ready to attempt to
distribute their product cutting out the middleman man.

Every "manufacturer" at some time or other (usually when awash with
profits) revels at the thought of getting their hands on the retail $$$.

The travel agent is
rapidly becoming just one more victim of a computerized society. The last
remaining reason to book with a TA is gone if rebating truly ends.

Ridiculous; typical RTC thinking.

No this is not stupid on part of lines, in fact pretty smart, a realization
by them that the time has come and a huge profit center for them as TA's
eventually get phased out of process.

This I would agree with.

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:16:23 -0400, *bicker* wrote:

A Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:01:00 GMT, "Bill"
escribió:
Seems to me that, in the final analysis, supply and demand will ultimately
rule.

Wisdom rears its ugly head in r.t.c!

At least this much truth has gotten out.

Supply and demand works in the end, perhaps, perhaps not, but this is a
skewed economic model with the cruise lines in the driver's seat. For now.