At Square One for Eastern Europe trip.

Old May 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Fronny

Default At Square One for Eastern Europe trip.

1. I've not traveled abroad for three decades.
2. This Summer I need to get from Denver, CO, USA to Krakow, PL.
3. After 10 days or so, Munich back to Denver

Given this can anyone here offer tips on airlines, flight scheduling
tips or tricks? Between Krakow and Munich we're still planning but I'd
like to get the ends anchored.

many thanks,

tf
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

The Fronny:

1. I've not traveled abroad for three decades.
2. This Summer I need to get from Denver, CO, USA to Krakow, PL.
3. After 10 days or so, Munich back to Denver

Given this can anyone here offer tips on airlines, flight scheduling
tips or tricks? Between Krakow and Munich we're still planning but I'd
like to get the ends anchored.

Hi TF,
Can't help you on the flight specifics (your travel agency will be able
to do a decent job, I suppose). But perhaps I can suggest things to do
and places to visit between Krakow and Munich.

Of course, it all depends on what you would like to do or see. Culture?
City trips? Night life? Nature? Shopping? Sports?

What does your group look like? Solo? A pair? A family?
How do you prefer to travel? Train? Rented car? It's all feasible.

--
Erick
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"The Fronny" wrote in message
1. I've not traveled abroad for three decades.
2. This Summer I need to get from Denver, CO, USA to Krakow, PL.
3. After 10 days or so, Munich back to Denver

Given this can anyone here offer tips on airlines, flight scheduling
tips or tricks? Between Krakow and Munich we're still planning but I'd
like to get the ends anchored.

many thanks,

tf

I suspect Lufthansa will probably offer the most convenient option but not
necessarily the cheapest. They have a Denver/Frankfurt flight and you can
then connect to/from their flights to Krakow/Munich. United will probably
also appear to give the same routing but a bit of digging will almost
certainly show the underlying flights are Lufthansa.

A word of warning. You might find that a trans Atlantic ticket with a
separate ticket in Europe to be cheaper. The airlines now look upon such
transactions as separate contract with no connection between them. That
means that if you miss the connecting flight it can be very, very expensive
because you have to buy a new ticket. The low cost carriers in Europe
(easyJet/Ryanair/Whizz and the like) are past masters at such things but
even if you have all Lufthansa or all BA tickets if you don't get it all on
one ticket (and remember a reservation is NOT a ticket - a reservation can
have multiple tickets) problems can arise. Allowing at least one night at
the connection point is the only sensible option even though I suspect many
people will jump in "we've done it" stories.

Old May 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pallis Gesture

"The Fronny" wrote in message

1. I've not traveled abroad for three decades.
2. This Summer I need to get from Denver, CO, USA to Krakow, PL.
3. After 10 days or so, Munich back to Denver

Given this can anyone here offer tips on airlines, flight scheduling
tips or tricks? Between Krakow and Munich we're still planning but I'd
like to get the ends anchored.

This summer? Get to planning - you're already behind. Fares are not
low, and it's high season. An example, smack dab in mid-summer, has
you at around US$ 1500, minimum, for your r/t fare, and prices shoot
straight up from there. A competent travel agent might - stress
_might_ - be able to do better.

Use aggregator sites like hipmunk.com, kayak.com, opodo.com and/or
momondo.com to get an idea for what's out there. All of these offer
multi-city options for planning a so-called open-jaw itinerary: Denver
to Krakow (DEN-KRK) outbound, Munich to Denver (MUC-DEN) inbound.

There won't be anything like a direct flight either outbound or inbound,
but you'll see some one-stop options. One-stops from DEN are on Star
Alliance airlines, including Lufthansa, United, Air Canada, and LOT.
Otherwise, you're looking at 2-stop flights, and they aren't necessarily
cheaper.

You have more options from Krakow to Munich: train, bus, or air.

Good luck!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 05/13/2012 08:29 PM, The Fronny wrote:
1. I've not traveled abroad for three decades.
2. This Summer I need to get from Denver, CO, USA to Krakow, PL.
3. After 10 days or so, Munich back to Denver

Given this can anyone here offer tips on airlines, flight scheduling
tips or tricks? Between Krakow and Munich we're still planning but I'd
like to get the ends anchored.

many thanks,

tf

Which ever way you book it, you'll have 1 stop MUC-DEN and 2 stops
DEN-KRK. When you say "between Krakow and Munich" bear in mind that
one-way car rentals between countries can be extremely expensive.
If you want some sightseeing and a grande tour one possibility would
be DEN-MUC return with LH/United, then drive to KRK and back to MUC.
That way you could take in Regensburg, Nuremburg, Prague one way and
Bratislava, Vienna and Salzburg the other way.