What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

Old October 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

In article , Cathy
wrote:

I can see how most of these things could be very irritating. However,
I still don't understand why someone else's clothing choice would have
an impact on your cruise experience. Why do you care what anyone else
wears?

There is a tradition of dressing up a couple of nights a week on
cruises that goes back a long time. The dining rooms themselves are
elegant. It used to be that if you did not wear the requested attire
for the evening you would not be admitted to the dining room. That is
what those who have cruised for many years are used too. In the last
few years as cruising has become more popular and a larger number of
people have taken cruises the adherence to the requested dress has
broken down a little, and the cruise lines have stopped being strict in
enforcing the dress for the evening. That said the vast majority do
dress up on formal evenings as requested. And on many ships t-shirts
and shorts will still not be admitted at dinner, any dinner, not just
the formal evenings.

Unless you're talking about men in Speedos...

Well if shorts are okay then why not Speedos?

--
Charles
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Cathy" wrote

I can see how most of these things could be very irritating. However,
I still don't understand why someone else's clothing choice would have
an impact on your cruise experience. Why do you care what anyone else
wears?

There are times and places when it is appropriate for adults to dress up.
Church, weddings, funerals, graduations... and formal nights on cruise
ships. Mature people know that and act accordingly.

When people go on a cruise that has scheduled "formal" nights, they expect a
certain type of ambiance. Many people enjoy that kind of thing and it is
something they look forward to. People who wear casual clothes on formal
night detract from the over-all expected experience.

I find it odd that people book a cruise that has formal nights and complain
about them before they even get on the ship. There are ships that do not
have formal nights and most ships have alternative dining places that are
not formal. So what's the big deal?

Personally. I'm not much into formal night but I put on a suit and tie and
always marvel at how well we all clean up... and if I don't feel like being
formal... I wear casual clothes and have dinner at the buffet where they
usually have many of the same dishes they are serving in the main dining
room.

Oh... as far as other people... I don't give a rat's ass what they wear. If
they are dressed up, I appreciate how well they look. If they choose to
wear casual clothes, I just write it off to the fact that they are lacking
in minimal social graces... and continue to have fun with my friends.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old October 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:32:59 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Cathy
wrote:

[...]

The difference is fairly obvious...

Anyway, I'm not questioning the tradition of dressing up. I'm sure
it's a lovely experience, and I look forward to doing it. What I don't
understand is why you people care enough about what other people are
wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

Maybe sitting with slobs will make me look that much better!

C.
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:41:37 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"Cathy" wrote

I can see how most of these things could be very irritating. However,
I still don't understand why someone else's clothing choice would have
an impact on your cruise experience. Why do you care what anyone else
wears?

There are times and places when it is appropriate for adults to dress up.
Church, weddings, funerals, graduations... and formal nights on cruise
ships. Mature people know that and act accordingly.

And mature people aren't bothered by other people's clothing choices.

When people go on a cruise that has scheduled "formal" nights, they expect a
certain type of ambiance. Many people enjoy that kind of thing and it is
something they look forward to. People who wear casual clothes on formal
night detract from the over-all expected experience.

Okay, this is what I get stuck on. How on Earth can people who wear
casual clothes on formal night detract from the overall expected
experience? You mean your enjoyment of formal night is somehow
lessened by someone else wearing a t-shirt or jeans? Why would you let
someone else's clothing put a damper on your vacation? That's just
dumb.

I think drunk, loud, obnoxious, rude, smelly, boring, arrogant people
with bad teeth and poorly-fitting formal attire detract from the
experience far more than someone in casual clothes.

I find it odd that people book a cruise that has formal nights and complain
about them before they even get on the ship. There are ships that do not
have formal nights and most ships have alternative dining places that are
not formal. So what's the big deal?

Are you referring to me? When did I complain about formal nights? I
didn't even say that I wouldn't dress up for formal night. The "big
deal" is your reaction to people who don't dress up.

Personally. I'm not much into formal night but I put on a suit and tie and
always marvel at how well we all clean up... and if I don't feel like being
formal... I wear casual clothes and have dinner at the buffet where they
usually have many of the same dishes they are serving in the main dining
room.

Oh... as far as other people... I don't give a rat's ass what they wear. If
they are dressed up, I appreciate how well they look. If they choose to
wear casual clothes, I just write it off to the fact that they are lacking
in minimal social graces... and continue to have fun with my friends.

I think people who look down on people who wear casual clothes to
formal night are far more lacking in "minimal social graces." Lighten
up!

Old October 1st, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Cathy" wrote

Okay, this is what I get stuck on. How on Earth can people who wear
casual clothes on formal night detract from the overall expected
experience?

Picture a bouquet of roses. Now picture a bouquet of roses with a plume of
ragweed in it. The ragween detracts from the overall beauty of the roses.

I think drunk, loud, obnoxious, rude, smelly, boring, arrogant people
with bad teeth and poorly-fitting formal attire detract from the
experience far more than someone in casual clothes.

You seem to think it is an either/or situation.

When did I complain about formal nights? I
didn't even say that I wouldn't dress up for formal night.

In another post you wrote: "Anyway, I'm not questioning the tradition of
dressing up. I'm sure it's a lovely experience, and I look forward to doing
it."

Oh damn. My troll meter must be on the fritz again. You are just arguing
for the sake of arguing and stupidly, I fell for it.

Sorry, that won't happen again.

Enjoy your cruise.

Old October 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:20:48 -0400, Lee wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:27:39 GMT, Cathy wrote:

wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

You just told us you would notice men in speedos.

How can you NOT notice men in Speedos at a formal dinner? They mght as
well be naked. I would find it laughable if guys showed up in Speedos
for formal night, but it wouldn't ruin my evening or make my list of
pet peeves.

Old October 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:21:23 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"Cathy" wrote

Okay, this is what I get stuck on. How on Earth can people who wear
casual clothes on formal night detract from the overall expected
experience?

Picture a bouquet of roses. Now picture a bouquet of roses with a plume of
ragweed in it. The ragween detracts from the overall beauty of the roses.

I guess I see the people in casual wear as daisies, rather than
ragweed. Not as glamorous as the roses, a little out of place in the
bouquet, but equally beautiful. Men in Speedos would be the ragweed.

I think drunk, loud, obnoxious, rude, smelly, boring, arrogant people
with bad teeth and poorly-fitting formal attire detract from the
experience far more than someone in casual clothes.

You seem to think it is an either/or situation.

Don't know what you mean by that...

When did I complain about formal nights? I
didn't even say that I wouldn't dress up for formal night.

In another post you wrote: "Anyway, I'm not questioning the tradition of
dressing up. I'm sure it's a lovely experience, and I look forward to doing
it."

And your point is...? Where did I complain about formal nights or say
that I wouldn't dress up?

Oh damn. My troll meter must be on the fritz again. You are just arguing
for the sake of arguing and stupidly, I fell for it.

I'm not arguing. I am asking why it matters.

Sorry, that won't happen again.

Sure it will

Enjoy your cruise.

Old October 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Sep 30, 2:31 am, Brian K wrote:
On 9/29/2007 9:08 AM Dean Worrell consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Sep 22, 1:10 pm, "Tobie Gerbrandt" wrote:

How about the photographers set up all over the ship. The
set-ups and the
lines waiting to have their pictures done block the flow of
traffic. This
is particularly bad when a person is in a wheelchair.

I find it annoying that you have to go through the photographer
gauntlet each time you disembark in port. They should have two
lines -
one for those that would like to have their picture taken, and one
for
those that would rather get going on whatever they've planned for
their day in port, without delay!

Lee

Amen to this Lee! I have absolutely no desire to have my picture
taken again standing behind a sign saying "Welcome to St. Thomas", or
wherever. All that does is slow down the process for the rest. Just
let me get off of the ship!

Dean in Peoria

What's to stop you from saying "No Pictures Please..." and just walking
ahead? I've done it upon boarding, leaving the ship and other
situations where there is a line. If you say it with a smile, they
can't stop you and force you to be photographed against your will.

If it were only that easy, Brian. Once I'm at the front of the line, I
have no problem walking through, and saying no thanks to the picture.
The part I find annoying is having to stand in the line, knowing that
at the end of it, is a photographer holding up the works. Usually,
the disembarkation lines are set up in such a way that bypassing the
line is an impossibility - it's single file - trying to push your way
past the line would not be particularly considerate to your fellow
passengers.

Lee

Old October 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Sep 30, 9:32 pm, Charles wrote:
I In the last
few years as cruising has become more popular and a larger number of
people have taken cruises the adherence to the requested dress has
broken down a little, and the cruise lines have stopped being strict in
enforcing the dress for the evening.

I think this started happening when alternative dining venues for
dinner were introduced and started becoming the norm. Let's say you go
to the dining room in a tux, and I decide to go to the buffet dressed
very casual. Later you see me at the show. All you remember later when
posting in the newsgroup is that you saw people dressed casual on
formal night. I think a lot of people's memory gets foggy and before
you know it - "people came to the dining room in shorts on formal
night." Even if that's not the case, if I remain casual the entire
night you are in your tux - neither one of us is dressed
inappropriately based one where we chose to eat that night. Ships have
become more of a hotel resort and less subject to former ocean going
traditions. If you go to a hotel that has a super formal restaurant
and a fast food joint, you'll see the same mix of dress that you now
see aboard ships.

I also think that the cruise lines are still doing a fairly good job
at enforcing some sort of formality in the dining room on formal
nights. You might see less tuxedos but I've seen plenty of slobs
turned away at the door. Most of the folks in the dining room are well
dressed, but the spectrum of one's interpretation of "well dressed" is
much wider. I think Cathy might be trying to say is if I'm dressed in
a tuxedo and the next guy to walk into the dining room is wearing a
nice button down shirt and dark slacks - he thinks he's dressed well
and I think I'm dressed well. Who am I to determine if he's dressed
well enough? That's the Maitre D's job.

As the final arbiter of what is acceptable in the dining room, if
it's good enough for the Maitre D it should be good enough for your
fellow passengers.

Warren