Galaxy, 4/26/04 sailing. Trip report

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Default Galaxy, 4/26/04 sailing. Trip report

Hmmm...I don't find the Galaxy cheerful particularly, not that there's
anything wrong with that. I think of her more as a cool Scandinavian
blond....

Jeff

Benjamin Smith wrote:
I think people like the Galaxy due to her more cheerful nature and
lighter look and feel in many areas, but a few find her borderline garish.\

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Jeff Coudriet

That I hate as well! And I'm a major consumer of towels! One is not
enough!

Jeff

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

We think a lot alike. I hate that so many cruise lines now leave pool

towels in your cabin and you have to carry them around with you.

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jeff Coudriet wrote:

That I hate as well! And I'm a major consumer of towels! One is not
enough!

I have found that the cabin stewards will give you extra towels if you
want them. I just don't like having to carry the towels around with us,
esp. when we want to do something after being in the hot tub.

sue

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:23 AM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Galaxy, 4/26/04 sailing. Trip report

Hi Charles:

Thanks for the review.

Yes, it was I, after an April 2001Galaxy sailing who commented about the very
worn condition of our Royal Suite.

I believe Galaxy had a cosmetic drydock last December.

However, I am surprised, Charles, at your description of her galley. May be the
Princess ships use more reflective (shinier) surfaces??

I don't know why you didn't find any chocolate croissants in the dining room at
breakfast. Did you ask? Sometimes I've had to do that....and I haven't had
any problems getting them.

I am disappointed that Celebrity is moving this ship out of Baltimore,
and not replacing it with another Celebrity ship.

Because RCL is an easier sell to more people than Celebrity.. and the RCL
product generates higher per diems.. than all those senior fares Celebrity has
had to push to fill Galaxy.

Oh.. btw.. supposedly, some new menus are going to start appearing in Sept.
Well.. we'll see what happens.

Babette
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Benjamin Smith

Jeff Coudriet wrote:

Hmmm...I don't find the Galaxy cheerful particularly, not that there's
anything wrong with that. I think of her more as a cool Scandinavian
blond....

She's that. The confetti carpeting going from the Rendezvous through to
the dining room is pretty cheerful as are the colors of used in the
Rendezvous and Orion dining room, oranges, yellows with the blues. Most
Celebrity Rendezvous areas and dining areas are pretty dark and sober.
The foyer is light, with the white marble and white columns. The theater
is light, the gold tones with harlequin patterned seating. She has,
compared to Century and Mercury, a lighter spirit than the other Celeb
ships.

Ben

Jeff

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Howie

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

I have found that the cabin stewards will give you extra towels if you
want them. I just don't like having to carry the towels around with us,
esp. when we want to do something after being in the hot tub.

"Aye, there's the rub."

Howie

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Howie

OcnGypZ wrote:

Because RCL is an easier sell to more people than Celebrity.. and the RCL
product generates higher per diems.. than all those senior fares Celebrity has
had to push to fill Galaxy.

You are right on about the higher per diems on RCCL, Babette, but this
does not seem to hold true for Baltimore. Except for a few flukes, the
Galaxy was commanding top prices our of Baltimore (especially during her
first season); on the other hand, prices on the Grandeur out of
Baltimore are dirt cheap. It has been very tempting to cruise on the
Grandeur again; but the ship was such a filthy mess on our 9/2001
transatlantic, that I have so far "just said no."

Howie

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Lee

Charles wrote in message id..

Thanks for the great review!

The dinner menus are getting tired, though. Not much change
over seven years. they could use a refresh.

This is something I keep meaning to ask. How often do the cruiselines
change their menus? And, are the menus pretty much the same, from ship
to ship? For instance, do all 7-day Princess cruises in the Caribbean
feature the same menu? If I go on another HAL cruise next March, will
the menu be the same as it was this March on HAL? Do the menus get
changed annually? Every two years? Three? Why not more often - they
could use a "come try our new menu" tactic to get cruisers to come
back more often than they might otherwise.

Lee
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Eileen Garland

In my experience, the menus are very similar within and across
cruiselines. It seems to me that cruiselines try harder to get new
passengers than to keep repeat passengers.

Eileen

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:27:42 -0400, Charles
wrote:

I looked all over for worn or
stained carpet, upholstery and at the condition of the outside decking
but found nothing bad

What a fun guy.