Deadline Tues. for CAPPS-II comments

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Edward Hasbrouck

Default Deadline Tues. for CAPPS-II comments

The deadline is Tuesday, 30 September 2003, to file
comments with the USA Department of Homeland Security on
the latest version of the proposed "CAPPS-II" airline
passenger surveillance and monitoring system.

You do NOT have to be a citizen or resident of the
USA to file comments.

Comments can be filed by e-mail to .
Include "docket number DHS/TSA-2003-1" in the subject of
your message.

This link should work:

mailto DHS/TSA-2003-1"

Over 250 comments were filed on the first CAPPS-II
proposal, *unanimously* negative. The revised proposal is
even worse, and this time around the DHS has already
received over 8,000 comments.

I have a summary of the arguments against CAPPS-II at:
http://hasbrouck.org/articles/CAPPS-II.html

And a lengthier background article, including my work
exposing the jetBlue Airways scandal, at:
http://hasbrouck.org/articles/travelprivacy.html

Privacy Activism has several sets of sample CAPPS-II
comments at:
http://www.privacyactivism.org/Item/173

If you are in a hurry, there are CAPPS-II comment filing
forms at:

http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2785

or

http://www.acluaction.org/aclu/mail/...mailid=3126736

Finally, on a related matter, if you flew jetBlue on or
before September 2002, there's a "FOIA-bot" to request
what records the USA government has on you at:

http://www.acluaction.org/aclu/mail/...mailid=3507041

----------------
Edward Hasbrouck

http://hasbrouck.org

"The Practical Nomad Guide to the Online Travel Marketplace"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912504/edwardhasbro
"The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912148/edwardhasbro

Old September 29th, 2003, 10:31 AM

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:18:13 GMT, Edward Hasbrouck
wrote:

The deadline is Tuesday, 30 September 2003, to file
comments with the USA Department of Homeland Security on
the latest version of the proposed "CAPPS-II" airline
passenger surveillance and monitoring system.

Thank you VERY much for this reminder!

I posted on this some weeks ago, with a direct link to U.S. legislaors
furnished by the ACLU, which you also list below:

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=13332&c=39

but not sure whether I sent a direct comment to the Dept itself.

While people from all countries are welcome to contact the Dept,
******may I suggest that U.S. citizens/residents also send emails to
their Members of Congress and Senators, using the link above or your
own email address for them. ********

Non-U.S. travelers might consider contacting their own national
governments as well; a little pressure never hurt.

In the U.S. because of anthrax, I'm told (anybody know?)
that fax/email works better.

Would appreciate input on this, as I have been avoiding
letter-writing, which USED to get more "respect".

Again, thanks for the heads-up.

--

Traveler

[...]

GREAT site! You're really doing a public service, Edward!

What about the purposed NASA requests for passenger records?