Malta Airport Transfers?

Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Larry in Berkeley

Default Malta Airport Transfers?

Is there airport shuttle service at the Malta airport (MLA) to go to
St. Julian's Bay hotels?

If not, are taxis on Malta metered or do you have to bargain?

Larry at Morro Bay, California

Old September 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wolfgang May

Larry in Berkeley wrote:
Is there airport shuttle service at the Malta airport (MLA) to go to
St. Julian's Bay hotels?

No special shuttle. Some of the bus lines stop in front of the Airport building
and take you to the central bus station (near Valetta). there you can change
to another line to St.Julians. In case you arrive late: Buses run mainly during
daytime.

Info:
http://www.atp.com.mt/

Prices are fixed per line.

If not, are taxis on Malta metered or do you have to bargain?

In case you want to use a taxi: buy a voucher when arriving in the
airport hall. They have fixed prices (otherwise the driver will cheat
you). Ca when buying a voucher, immediately, _some_ taxi drivers
will talk to you and take your luggage. Concentrate that you take the
change with you before leaving.

Cheating: everywhere, always. Also on the buses.
- "sorry, I have no change". Happens, but then you can claim the
change when leaving.
- if you use the buses several times a day, I would recommend a day
ticket. It is cheaper, and gives only once the opportunity to cheat.

Their ancestors were pirates, with Italian and northern african
influence. The English influenced mainly the language (which is quite
positive) and ... the kitchen (which can be horrible).

But in general (apart from the permanent cheating): A nice and very
interesting island. Most places are easily accessible by using the
local buses. Note that in addition to "all" lines that go from the
main station at Valetta, there are some direct lines from Sliema and
St.Julians. Real "Malta" is everything except the touristic
waterfronts of St.Julians and Sliema and the (often dirty) beaches in
Bugibba and Mellieha.

Wolfgang

Old September 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Malta is no fourth world country and one does not bargain...Maybe in
California, but not in Malta.

Old September 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Larry in Berkeley

Wolfgang May wrote: http://www.atp.com.mt/

Prices are fixed per line.

If not, are taxis on Malta metered or do you have to bargain?

In case you want to use a taxi: buy a voucher when arriving in the
airport hall.

Cheating: everywhere, always. Also on the buses.

But in general (apart from the permanent cheating): A nice and very
interesting island.

Many thanks, Wolfgang, for the long and very helpful answer.

Larry at Morro Bay, California

Old October 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mary Pegg[_1_]

Wolfgang May wrote:

Cheating: everywhere, always. Also on the buses.

Can't remember anyone trying it on at all, in five days.

--
Something like: "ntlworld" "com" "dot" "at" "marypegg"
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wolfgang May

Mary Pegg wrote:
Wolfgang May wrote:

Cheating: everywhere, always. Also on the buses.

Can't remember anyone trying it on at all, in five days.

hmm ... or you didn't realize it?

Here just some anecdotes of the buses (trying to give too less change
is not mentioned separately):

"A day ticket please"
"No day ticket in this bus"
"Yes, a day ticket please".
"Buy a ticket to Valetta here, and buy a day ticket on the next bus"
"No, wanna by the day ticket here, otherwise I take the next bus"
(which was about 5-8 minutes later).
Then, he sold me a day ticket.

Back from near Wied-iz-Zurrieq. In front of us a family, with a kid.
Kids regularly pay the half price.

"One fifty."
"One fifTY or one fifTEEN?"
"ONE FIFTY I SAID"
"hmm ... he's eight, kids pay half".
"ONE FIFTY IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS BUS!!!!!"
.... so they had the choice to wait for the next bus 30-45 minutes
in the middle of nowhere at about 40 degrees, or to pay. They paid.

Departu

Entering the bus with luggage. It is officially written down that
luggage does not cost additionally.
20ct, regular price paid to the driver.
Another controller there inside the bus (his task is usually to check
that the driver does not cheat into his own pockets since they have a
kind of a pool financing)
"Ticket?"
showed him the ticket.
"Luggage? ten cent extra"
"??"
"ten cent for the luggage".

ok, last day, what about 10 cent, and the bus was already driving. Gave
him 10ct. He did not give them to the driver, but put them into his own
pocket.

We were there with a larger group of students and lecturers, and _all_
made such experiences. The most extreme one was that the hotel had
confirmed all bookings (at a special price negotiated by the local
university), but then moved most of the students to other hotels (upon
arrival late in the night). At the end, they tried to charge them then
the higher prices of the other hotels (but unsuccessfully since the
people from the local university intervened). Some people were really
annoyed about the permanent cheating. One of the locals' comment to
all this "ummm ... it's kind of our folklore".

Wolfgang
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Wolfgang May" skrev i meddelandet
Mary Pegg wrote:
Wolfgang May wrote:

Cheating: everywhere, always. Also on the buses.

Can't remember anyone trying it on at all, in five days.

hmm ... or you didn't realize it?

Stayed a week in Malta and got wrong change from a bus driver once.
Could have been a mistake and was a bearable loss of a few cents.
On the other hand by mistake I paid for a restaurant meal with a too big
note resulting in the staff running after me in the alley: "sir,sir how much
did you left".
Small islands are generally well-known for low crime and the worst thing I
could read in the papers was someone of Maltese origin being accused for
fraud, in Australia !

Old October 15th, 2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

[Malta]
Small islands are generally well-known for low crime and the worst
thing I could read in the papers was someone of Maltese origin being
accused for fraud, in Australia !

When I was in Australia (30 years ago) the Maltese immigrants were
pretty big in the Sydney crime world. I've no idea why - as you say
Malta itself seems to have very little crime.

Onc recent episode was vandalism directed at prehistoric monuments.
I don't think anybody worked out what the reason was - maybe some
property development scheme?