FRA connection: 0:50 or 2:20

Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Pete

Default FRA connection: 0:50 or 2:20

I must choose between two connections at Frankfurt. The first is
LH to OS with a 50 minute connection (I assume both are at T-1
somewhere). The alternative is LH to LH with a 2:20 connection.
Obviously the second connection is as safe as it gets, but how
about a 50 minute connection changing from Lufthansa to Austrian?
Is FRA known for lots of delays? Will my luggage be significantly
safer with the 2:20 connection? These connections are around noon,
if it matters.

Pete

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Pete" wrote in message
k.net...
I must choose between two connections at Frankfurt. The first is
LH to OS with a 50 minute connection (I assume both are at T-1
somewhere). The alternative is LH to LH with a 2:20 connection.
Obviously the second connection is as safe as it gets, but how
about a 50 minute connection changing from Lufthansa to Austrian?
Is FRA known for lots of delays? Will my luggage be significantly
safer with the 2:20 connection? These connections are around noon,
if it matters.

Pete

50 minutes is not a lot of time to connect anywhere. althought I have made
quite a few 40 and 45 minute ones (not at FRA). By the time you are last out
of the plane that can be 10-15 minutes gone, and getting on the next one
they like to close the gate 10 minutes (sometimes more) before the plane is
due to leave.

Where is the incoming flight coming from ?
What are the chances of it being delayed ?
Is it all on one ticket ?
Is there another LH second leg that day if you miss the first, and will LH
put you on the second plane?
Are you going to make use of that extra 1:30 at the destination ?
If it all goes wrong is it your money or a companies money ?

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:53 PM
ServiceTech

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:29:46 -0400, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Good advice. But you ask what are the chances of delay. Does
Murphys Law ring a bell?

Personally, I'd recommend the 2:20. Take your time & relax a bit.
Running through an Airport to catch a connection SUCKS. And that
would lead to the luggage issue. Getting to your destination and
missing your luggage sucks even more.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Miss L. Toe

"ServiceTech" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:29:46 -0400, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

The vast majority of missing luggage turns up within 24 hours, just pack
some clean underwear in your hand luggage as insurance.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Probably 50-50 unless you are coming from outside Schengen in which case
it is likely 0. It may depend on your seat assignment and if you get
stuck with a remote field gate. I would opt for the 2:20 time. But
then again I'm chicken. I was offered a 50 minute connection in Atlanta
and opted to leave earlier for a 6 hour connect.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
AJC

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:33:56 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

I must choose between two connections at Frankfurt. The first is
LH to OS with a 50 minute connection (I assume both are at T-1
somewhere). The alternative is LH to LH with a 2:20 connection.
Obviously the second connection is as safe as it gets, but how
about a 50 minute connection changing from Lufthansa to Austrian?
Is FRA known for lots of delays? Will my luggage be significantly
safer with the 2:20 connection? These connections are around noon,
if it matters.

Pete

Your other posts suggests that you are flying business class and long
haul on Lufthansa. That would mean you will have to clear immigration
between the LH and OS flights to enter Schengen, and that you will
have access to a lounge at FRA. If that is so, I would go for the
2:20.
--==++AJC++==--
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:44 PM
Pete

Your other posts suggests that you are flying business class and long
haul on Lufthansa. That would mean you will have to clear immigration
between the LH and OS flights to enter Schengen, and that you will
have access to a lounge at FRA. If that is so, I would go for the
2:20.

How very astute of you. I had completely forgotten about Schengen.
Yes, 2:20 is the only real solution, thanks.

Pete

Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Jeff Hacker

Both OS and LH are Star Alliance. Should be a relatively easy connection if
you think your flight into FRA will be on time. If it is late, there'll be
a problem.

k.net...

Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
Frank F. Matthews

ServiceTech wrote:

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:29:46 -0400, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

The running is especially bothersome when the folks at the gate you are
arriving at tell you to hurry over and when you're almost run yourself
into the ground you discover the flight closed before they told you to
start running.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:12 PM
Sjoerd

"Pete" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
Your other posts suggests that you are flying business class and long
haul on Lufthansa. That would mean you will have to clear immigration
between the LH and OS flights to enter Schengen, and that you will
have access to a lounge at FRA. If that is so, I would go for the
2:20.

How very astute of you. I had completely forgotten about Schengen.
Yes, 2:20 is the only real solution, thanks.

Nonsense. I have made many, many Schengen -- non-Schengen and non-Schengen
connections in FRA within a 45 or 50 minute timeframe. Never had a problem.
The only time luggage was late was on a 2 hour connection.

50 minutes is plenty time.

Sjoerd