"Semester at Sea" The Explorer Troubles!

Old January 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default "Semester at Sea" The Explorer Troubles!

Hi Everyone,

The Explorer is the ship the University of Pittsburgh's "University at
Sea" is using this year. It has encountered some problems. Details
can be found in this Anchorage Daily News story:
http://tinyurl.com/5857c
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM
its_my_dime

RAY: Sorry I didn't see your post before I did mine.

Please note the following web site:

http://www.cherese.org/html/sas.html

Reading the various articles suggests that this recent "trouble" will be no
surprise to many.

imd

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Ebbtide

Thanks for that post Ray. Is it the same ship (SS Universe Explorer) that
they used in the past? (it had not been sailing after 911) I had done an
'adult' cruise on that to Alaska and the Caribbean. It was a wonderful
experience but it was in need of repair back in the mid 90's.

Joyce

Old January 27th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:48:37 GMT, "Ebbtide"
wrote:

Thanks for that post Ray. Is it the same ship (SS Universe Explorer) that
they used in the past?

Hi Joyce,

No, it is not. I believe the Universe Explorer is or has been beached
and dismantled for scrap.

Old January 27th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:13:35 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

No, it is not. I believe the Universe Explorer is or has been beached
and dismantled for scrap.

Hi Joyce,

I just received a note from an excellent source that says the Universe
Explorer was beached and scrapped at Alang in December. (Thanks Peter)

Old January 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM
AkSusan

According to the front page of the Anchorage Daily News this morning,
the Coast Guard was sending a cutter from Dutch Harbor and a C-130 from
Kodiak.

Susan in Anchorage

Old January 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Jack Hamilton

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The Explorer is the ship the University of Pittsburgh's "University at
Sea" is using this year. It has encountered some problems. Details
can be found in this Anchorage Daily News story:
http://tinyurl.com/5857c
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

What would the C-130 be able to do?

Jack Hamilton

----
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just;
that his justice cannot sleep forever; that considering
numbers, nature, and natural means only, a revolution of
the wheel of fortune, and exchange of situation, is among
possible events; that it may become probable by supernatural
interference! The Almighty has no attribute which can
take side with uus in such a contest.
Thomas Jefferson
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Mike

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:19:51 -0800, Jack Hamilton wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The Explorer is the ship the University of Pittsburgh's "University at
Sea" is using this year. It has encountered some problems. Details
can be found in this Anchorage Daily News story:
http://tinyurl.com/5857c
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

What would the C-130 be able to do?

In a wost case situation, they could drop additional survival supplies
(I hope it doesn't come to that) or they could drop spare parts that
the ships crew could retrieve.

I suppose A C-130 could also simply do a visual assesment of the
overall situation.

Other than that, I am not too sure.

Jack Hamilton

----

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:34 AM
J Carnaghie

What would the C-130 be able to do?
The C-130 would serve as a
communications relay point as well as a
possible source of additional survival
equipment. It would also provide precise
location information for the surface
ships enroute the stricken ship.
These young people will have quite a
story to tell. We were on the Olympia
Explorer and it rode like a destroyer
when we were on it, so I can imagine
what it was like for them in those seas.
Cheers,
John

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:56 PM

There was some amazing video on the news last night. There were shots
off the bow or stern showing a list of 30 degrees and very high seas
(report stated 50 foot waves). Other footage had all the students in
life vests sitting in hallways and stairs. Another shot had a room full
of kids in a large room with some type of hard floor. Ship rolled to
one side and about fifty people went sliding toward the camera. The
next shot was of a girl sitting with her back to a wall. She used her
legs to stop a chair that was sliding across the floor towards her. The
reporter stated that the ship had lost three of it=92s four engines
during the storm.