Train from Frankfurt Airport to Eindhoven, Netherlands

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Dayna

Default Train from Frankfurt Airport to Eindhoven, Netherlands

Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
Frankfurt-Koln-Utrecht-Eindhoven

Is there a shorter route?

Thank you very much!
Dayna

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM
John Bermont

Dayna wrote:
Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
Frankfurt-Koln-Utrecht-Eindhoven

Is there a shorter route?

Thank you very much!
Dayna

No need to go to Utrecht. From Koln go to Venlo and then Eindhoven.

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Dayna

"John Bermont" wrote in message
Dayna wrote:
Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
Frankfurt-Koln-Utrecht-Eindhoven

Is there a shorter route?

Thank you very much!
Dayna

No need to go to Utrecht. From Koln go to Venlo and then Eindhoven.

Thanks for the reply. I have checked on the German rail site and found I
can go from Frankfurt-Dusseldorf-Venlo-Eindhoven, and the trip takes 3:18
with 2 train changes. Or I can go Frankfurt-Utrecht-Eindhoven with only 1
train change, and the trip takes 4:07.

What's bothering me is the seemingly very short amount of time between the
trains. Even though it takes longer going via Utrecht, at least there is
only 1
train to change to. Wheeling a large luggage bag will be difficult as is -
especially
if there are only steps and not escalators for certain platforms. Are there
escalators
for all the ICE and IC platforms?

I'd like to buy a ticket ahead of time, but not sure how to calculate how
long it
would take me to clear customs and reach the train at Frankfurt Airport.
From
what I recall, that airport is massive. The map does show the trains to be
close
to Terminal 1, which is a plus. If I miss the train I'm ticketed for, can I
use it on
the next train? Same question for my connections - if I go to Utrecht and
miss
that train, can I take any other train to Eindhoven? It looks like there
are trains
leaving every 15 minutes from Utrecht to Eindhoven. Are the tickets very
changeable
once purchased? I seem to recall long lines at the Koln and Dusseldorf
counters when
I was there last year. I have a very limited amount of time to get from
Frankfurt to
Eindhoven - my plane lands at 10:30am and I need to be in Eindhoven by
6:30pm. That's
8 hours for a seemingly 3 to 4 hour trip, but it's almost looking like it's
not going to
be enough time. That's why I'm interested in purchasing a ticket in advance
so there
is no line to stand in once I get there.

Thanks again!
Dayna

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Tom Peel

Dayna wrote:

Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
[...]

At all major stations that I'm aware of, the ICE trains stop on adjacent
tracks, meaning that to change trains, you just walk across the
platform. No steps, no elevators.

T.

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

m...

Dayna wrote:
Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
Frankfurt-Koln-Utrecht-Eindhoven

Is there a shorter route?

Thank you very much!
Dayna

No need to go to Utrecht. From Koln go to Venlo and then Eindhoven.

Thanks for the reply. I have checked on the German rail site and found I
can go from Frankfurt-Dusseldorf-Venlo-Eindhoven, and the trip takes 3:18
with 2 train changes. Or I can go Frankfurt-Utrecht-Eindhoven with only 1
train change, and the trip takes 4:07.

You really ought to go the via venlo route. The other one is so
much out of the way it will cost a lot more.

What's bothering me is the seemingly very short amount of time between the
trains. Even though it takes longer going via Utrecht, at least there is
only 1
train to change to. Wheeling a large luggage bag will be difficult as
is -
especially
if there are only steps and not escalators for certain platforms. Are
there
escalators
for all the ICE and IC platforms?

I was going to tell you not to worry about this, but now I
have checked the change at Dusseldorf isn't simple.

But the onward trains are every hour so if you don't get between
platforms in time you don't have to wait too long.

The change at Venlo won't be difficult it isn't that big a station.

I'd like to buy a ticket ahead of time, but not sure how to calculate how
long it
would take me to clear customs and reach the train at Frankfurt Airport.
From
what I recall, that airport is massive. The map does show the trains to be
close to Terminal 1, which is a plus.

I think you may have been looking at the wrong station.

You need the fernbahn station. It's a good 20 minutes
normal walk from the check-in desks some way beyond
the other station.

If I miss the train I'm ticketed for, can I
use it on the next train?

as long as it is a 'normal' ticket.

Same question for my connections - if I go to Utrecht and
miss
that train, can I take any other train to Eindhoven?

as above.

HTH

tim

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Dayna wrote:

At all major stations that I'm aware of, the ICE trains stop on adjacent
tracks, meaning that to change trains, you just walk across the platform.
No steps, no elevators.

This is usually the case. However it is not so for this journey.
It is obviously not the expected traffic flow.

tim

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Lennart Petersen

Dayna wrote:

Can anyone let me know the shortest train route between
Frankfurt Airport and Eindhoven, Netherlands?

From what I've located so far, it looks like I must go
[...]

Now you make a sweeping statement. An ICE may connect to one train on
the adjacent track but in the most important junctions you can expect
connections to a number of trains and directions so you have to change
platform.
Anyway if in doubt you may trust the German timetable on
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
where you'll find the expected track number for your trains. Beware
that they can be changed and watch the monitors.

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Rog'

"Dayna" wrote:
I'd like to buy a ticket ahead of time, but not sure how to calculate
how long it would take me to clear customs and reach the train at
Frankfurt Airport. From what I recall, that airport is massive. The
map does show the trains to be close to Terminal 1, which is a plus.
If I miss the train I'm ticketed for, can I use it on the next train?

I cannot help you with the routing, but when I landed in Frankfurt,
I gave myself 2+ hours between flight arrival and train departure,
and it worked out well. Planes are usually on time, but there may
be delays getting off and to immigration (30). Immigration itself is
usually brief (15), but if you check luggage, there could be a major
delay (45) claiming your bags. Then customs (10) and to the train
(20). If its too much time, there's always airport food.

On missing a train, the issue is not the ticket, its the seat reservation.
If you made one, you may need to purchase another, is simple enuff.
See Die Bahn... http://tinyurl.com/7q36z. =R=

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Dayna

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message
An ICE may connect to one train on
the adjacent track but in the most important junctions you can expect
connections to a number of trains and directions so you have to change
platform.
Anyway if in doubt you may trust the German timetable on
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
where you'll find the expected track number for your trains. Beware
that they can be changed and watch the monitors.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread! Your information was very helpful!
This trip is taking place October 15, 2005 and I arrive at Terminal 1 in
Frankfurt
at 10:30am. There are trains leaving at 11:17am but I am sure there's no way
can make that connection. The next trains a

Frankfurt Fernbf - Dusseldorf Hbf - Venlo - Eindhoven.
ICE 126
Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf Dep 13:17 Platform Fern 7
Dusseldorf Hbf Arr 14:39 Platform 18
Transfer To - Allowing only 9 minutes to transfer:
RE 9022
Dusseldorf Hbf Dep 14:48 Platform 4
Venlo Arr 15:57 Platform not
specified
Transfer To - Allowing only 6 minutes to transfer:
IC 1958
Venlo Dep 16:03 Platform 1
Eindhoven Arr 16:35 Platform 6

If I miss the transfer for Dusseldorf to Venlo, there are trains leaving
hourly after 14:48
If I miss the transfer for Venlo to Eindhoven, there are trains leaving
every 15-20 minutes after 16:03
That would put me in Eindhoven at about 18:00 (6pm)

Another alternative is the longer route through Utrecht, but at least I only
need to change trains once:

Frankfurt Fernbf - Utrecht - Eindhoven
ICE 126
Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf Dep 13:17 Platform Fern 7
Utrecht Centraal Arr 16:23 Platform 5a
Transfer to - Allowing 11 minutes to transfer:
Utrecht Centraal Dep 16:34 Platform 12
Eindhoven Arr 17:24 Platform 1

If I miss this connection, there are trains leaving every 15 minutes after
16:34
That would put me in Eindhoven at about 18:00 (6pm)

So, it appears that if I take the first route, I will get to Eindhoven about
50 minutes sooner
than the route through Utrecht -- but I have an extra transfer. If I miss
either of the transfers,
I wouldn't reach Eindhoven until the time of the Utrecht train anyway.

Why aren't they listing a price for Frankfurt-Utrecht-Eindhoven?
Frankfurt-Dusseldorf-Venlo-Eindhoven is $75.40 Euros.
Will Frankfurt-Utrecht-Eindhoven be much more than that?

Thanks again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. :-)

Dayna

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:32:33 GMT, "Dayna" wrote:

I arrive at Terminal 1 in
Frankfurt
at 10:30am. There are trains leaving at 11:17am but I am sure there's no way
can make that connection.

I think it depends on whether you will have checked luggage or not.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).