The Trees of Paris

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Earl Evleth

Default The Trees of Paris

I happen to be a tree hugger long before it became an
insult by anti-environmentalists!

I really worship trees. As a kid I liked climbing them. I have
always marveled at the glory of big trees. The redwoods of
California got my hug as a kid. I read somewhere that the
redwoods are evolutionarily unchanged in 60 million years
(it is beaten out by the cockroach which is even more successful).

The only really "evil" tree I know of is the Manchineel in
the Caribbean (the Carib Indians used its sap to tip their hunting arrows).

But most trees, more than some people, are not dangerous.

Paris, unfortunately, still retains some of its Mideval
city structure in having under planned (there was no plan)
public park areas. The Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes is outside of
Paris and a hike from most residential areas.

When studying real estate ads in Paris, "green" items are mentioned.
"Verdure" is when anything green is visible from one's
apartment window, even trees on the street. It is mentioned. "Sur jardin"
is important even if one is on the 3rd floor. Having a "jardin privatif" is
a big selling point and having a terrace is pure luxury. We ourselves are
limited to having window boxes, on every window full of babied
plants. Being green they add back a little of the oxygen we
are consuming. But it is their beauty we really enjoy.

92,000 trees are planted in the Parisian public spaces.

About a third the new trees and plants are obtained from a
municipal ³pépinère near Rungis. Of these 48%
are from France, 34% from Germany, 10% Italian and
8% Dutch. I read somewhere that some American trees
were planted in the gardens at Versailles.

The average life time of a Parisian tree is 60 years.

About 500 new implantations are made each year and
1,500 replaced. About 40% of the trees are the
Platanes one sees along the roads of France. I have
seen some very old ones in Paris and one is astonished
by their resistance to air pollution.

There are even two palm trees in the 12th. The micro
climate of Paris has some areas which are several
degrees warmer than the average so I guess
these trees can survive.

The city has has a policy of changing some street corners
to allow tree implantations.

Clearly we need more ³green². And fewer automobiles.

Earl

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM
jenn

Earl Evleth wrote:

[...]

but very sadly they apparently don't water trees -- we watched the trees
in the park square across from our apartment this summer die in the heat
-- while fire plugs were allowed to run for days [so I think the problem
was not lack of water] This was in blocks of the arrondisement town
hall -- it just broke our hearts to see these beautiful old trees
shrivel and die when water was literally running down the gutters for
days only a block or so away. --
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Cities can vary greatly with or without planning. I've been amused here
with no planning and a complete automobile economy at how many trees
Houston manages to support. FFM

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Earl Evleth

On 5/04/04 16:50, in article , "jenn"
wrote:

but very sadly they apparently don't water trees -- we watched the trees
in the park square across from our apartment this summer die in the heat
-- while fire plugs were allowed to run for days [so I think the problem
was not lack of water] This was in blocks of the arrondisement town
hall -- it just broke our hearts to see these beautiful old trees
shrivel and die when water was literally running down the gutters for
days only a block or so away. --

It has never been necessary before, the ground water was apparently
sufficient. Anybody who has a ground floor place in Paris usually has
a "humidity" problem.

But indeed a lot of trees in the city and in France in general
even if they did not die, underwent a lot of stress last summer
and it will shorten their lifetimes, statistically.

Earl

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
jenn

wrote:

but very sadly they apparently don't water trees -- we watched the trees
in the park square across from our apartment this summer die in the heat
-- while fire plugs were allowed to run for days [so I think the problem
was not lack of water] This was in blocks of the arrondisement town
hall -- it just broke our hearts to see these beautiful old trees
shrivel and die when water was literally running down the gutters for
days only a block or so away. --

It has never been necessary before, the ground water was apparently
sufficient. Anybody who has a ground floor place in Paris usually has
a "humidity" problem.

But indeed a lot of trees in the city and in France in general
even if they did not die, underwent a lot of stress last summer
and it will shorten their lifetimes, statistically.

Earl

I am sure that is quite true -- but I would have thought the local
leadership would have taken some initiative this summer -- one good
drink from a firehose would probably have done the job on the trees in
the metro square park near us. I think the trees on those urban islands
were more vulnerable than those in full parks e.g. I didn't see the
trees in Pere Lechaise dying -- but those in the islands in the streets
were.
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:48 PM
me

Earl Evleth wrote in message ...
I happen to be a tree hugger long before it became an
insult by anti-environmentalists!

I really worship trees. As a kid I liked climbing them. I have
always marveled at the glory of big trees. The redwoods of
California got my hug as a kid. I read somewhere that the
redwoods are evolutionarily unchanged in 60 million years
(it is beaten out by the cockroach which is even more successful).

The only really "evil" tree I know of is the Manchineel in
the Caribbean (the Carib Indians used its sap to tip their hunting arrows).

But most trees, more than some people, are not dangerous.

Hmmmm. "Most" is difficult without knowing the population distribution
(and also ones definition of tree vs shrub). However, big trees
are very dangerous. They fall over and crush things including people.
They shed brances and kill people. We had a lady just last month
get killed by a falling branch. They didn't even know until they
started cutting up and removing the tree.

[snip]
Clearly we need more ³green². And fewer automobiles.

I like trees too. But the truth is that there are probably "better"
green plants depending upon what ones goals are.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Capitalist Pig

I like trees too. They make great furniture, houses and fires in the
fireplace. It's lots of fun splitting firewood with a maul. Best of all they
grow back.

Capitalist Pig

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Dave Smith

Capitalist Pig wrote:

I like trees too. They make great furniture, houses and fires in the
fireplace. It's lots of fun splitting firewood with a maul. Best of all they
grow back.

Best of all, the German soldiers get to march in the shade :-)