Best way to ship LOTS of luggage UK -> US?

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
bluecalx

Default Best way to ship LOTS of luggage UK -> US?

My girlfriend and I are probably moving (back) to the US from the UK
at the end of October. Is there some way to transport all of our
stuff (roughly 6 boxes weighing 80 pounds each) without paying
thousands of dollars?

On the way over here, the airlines (Virgin specifically) were not the
least bit helpful. We kept calling and asking how to go about
transporting our stuff (we thought it would be a semi-permanent move)
and all we got was, "Oh, just show up at the airport and we'll sort
everything out." Oh, and we were also told that the maximum weight
per box was XX pounds but when we got to the airport, the max weight
was about 20% less than that. Anyway, needless to say, it was a huge
ordeal at the airport and generally one of the worst days of my life
-- not something I wish to repeat.

Is there a way to transport our stuff by plane that won't make me want
to strangle people on moving day? Actually, it's not really vital
that it go by with us on the same plane.. we're not in a rush to get
most of it. Is there a cheaper, slower means of getting it from the
UK to US? We've looked at some by-boat delivery services, but those
actually seem more expensive than just treating our boxes as excess
baggage..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Mark Hewitt

"bluecalx" wrote in message
My girlfriend and I are probably moving (back) to the US from the UK
at the end of October. Is there some way to transport all of our
stuff (roughly 6 boxes weighing 80 pounds each) without paying
thousands of dollars?

What does Royal Mail have to say?

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM
gerald

The fee for carring an additional 32 kg piece of luggage is in the
neighborhood of $75-100.

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Mike Cordelli

Check some of the cargo companies, you won't be getting it the same day, but
it will be lots less money.

Choice two is to just make another flight back over, rates in the fall to
the UK are very low, go over with no bags, bring back the limit each, that
would be less then thousands of dollars depending on where you are moving
to.

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
Check some of the cargo companies, you won't be getting it the same day,

but
it will be lots less money.

Choice two is to just make another flight back over, rates in the fall to
the UK are very low, go over with no bags, bring back the limit each, that
would be less then thousands of dollars depending on where you are moving
to.

And probably earn you enough miles for a free flight or two into the
bargain.
Or give some free tickets to your friends ?

P.S. pickfords in the UK quoted a friend of mine 1,000-1,500 pounds to ship
20 tea chests of stuff to the east coast USA.

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Binyamin Dissen

[...]

If you want it delivered by air it usually will be far cheaper to take it as
excess luggage. Pack your things in 70lb or less boxes.

I am surprised that boat would be more.

If the stuff is books or magazines take a look at M-bags at the US Post Office
(http://www.usps.com/global/mbags.htm). These are relatively cheap though you
cannot insure or track them.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:43 AM
mga707

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message ...
"bluecalx" wrote in message
My girlfriend and I are probably moving (back) to the US from the UK
at the end of October. Is there some way to transport all of our
stuff (roughly 6 boxes weighing 80 pounds each) without paying
thousands of dollars?

What does Royal Mail have to say?

Agree. Easiest way to go would be to just lug the boxes down to your
P.O. and mail the stuff. Send it a few weeks before you travel via
surface rate (ship/truck) and it should arrive about when you do and
shouldn't cost you too much.
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Fustanella

at the end of October. Is there some way to transport all of our
stuff (roughly 6 boxes weighing 80 pounds each) without paying
thousands of dollars?

If you're in no rush, you could mail your goodies. However, don't expect
consistency.

For example, I used Parcel Force to ship two identical boxes from London to
Florida and was given a 7-10 day window for arrival; perfect. One arrived
in a week, the other took five weeks. Neither was opened for inspection,
and they were in the same condition upon arrival. No explanation was
forthcoming when I asked why.
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:42:39 +0000 (UTC), Fustanella
wrote:

at the end of October. Is there some way to transport all of our
stuff (roughly 6 boxes weighing 80 pounds each) without paying
thousands of dollars?

If you're in no rush, you could mail your goodies. However, don't expect
consistency.

For example, I used Parcel Force to ship two identical boxes from London to
Florida and was given a 7-10 day window for arrival; perfect. One arrived
in a week, the other took five weeks. Neither was opened for inspection,
and they were in the same condition upon arrival. No explanation was
forthcoming when I asked why.

I've used these people before for shipments of personal belongings to
the Far East. I'm sure there are plenty of similar companies around.

http://www.excess-baggage.com/

Chris

Old September 30th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Todd Riedl ~ Travel Picks, On Line

A few years back I moved from London to Toronto and was in the same situation.*
I remember using a freight forwarding service located in Earl's Court.* I went
to their office and completed the paperwork and they sent a driver to my house
to pick up the boxes.* Delivery was about 4 weeks (I shipped via boat) and they
provided good communication via eMail throughout.* Unfortunately, I cannot
remember their name but do recall finding out about them through local
publications that cater to expats from Australia, NZ, and So. Africa. Cost was
reasonable, too.

Good luck.

Todd Riedl