Seasickness

Old September 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Default Seasickness

Thus spake LeeNY :

On Sep 5, 4:23 pm, Homer Hickam wrote:
On Aug 27, 10:28 pm, Jay Furr wrote:

I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233

Ah, a favorite topic for this old mossy-back scuba instructor and
astronaut trainer. First, like you, I've never been seasick even
after spending a lot of time on bouncy dive boats AND NASA's famous
vomit comet. I've also been up Alaska's Inside Passage without
noticing any particular swells or motions that would cause mal de
mer.

That said, there is one drug that not only will keep you from being
seasick but will also often pull you back after you are (which
dramamine, ginger, et al will not). That would be phenergan. If
you're not pregnant, it's the drug of choice of astronauts and
professional divers. If you are pregnant, you shouldn't be either of
those (a topic for a vastly different discussion).

Phenergan is a prescription drug.

H3

That's interesting. I was prescribed phenergan to take care of nausea
caused by prescription painkillers. I can see how it might help, once
someone is suffering from seasickness...but you're claiming that it is
also a preventative? Great news. I've got extras!

Yes. Carol was prescribed it when she went through chemo last year.
Never needed it, Emend is the new wonder drug for chemo induced
nausea. The one time she took it it dropped her like a rock for about
6 hours. Same reports from everybody I know who's taken it.

There is an injectible phenegren/meclizine/niacinamide that will cut
off most nausea in under 10 minutes. It's IM and reportedly burns
like hell. And will, as noted above, drop you.

Lee

--
dillon

Elvis is still dead
Old September 7th, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

CLINT:
BUSH has done NOTHING for us,we have the worse health insurance in the
country,just very glad i do not need a lot of medications.
All he is doing is ruining the U.S.A.

cruise lover

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Tom K" wrote in message

I love how everyone who doesn't get seasick has all kinds of advice about
not taking anything you don't need to, or how they don't think you'll need
it...

GET REAL... seasickness is VERY REAL FOR MANY PEOPLE. Don't simply
dismiss it because you don't need it. That's like telling someone with an
ear infection not to take their anti biotic because you don't have an ear
infection, and therefore you don't need it..

--Tom ---- 1 cruise without Bonine... 30+ cruise with Bonine.

Ok. My wife would sometimes get queasy while in a car. Especially if she
turns around or tries to read. She was worried about getting seasick, so
she takes the advise you recommend and uses Bonine before getting sick. She
spends the first day or two at sea in bed and throws up. This happens on
several cruises. Finally we determine that the culprit is the BONINE
itself. So rather than preventing motion sickness, it CAUSED it or at least
the nausea and vomiting. Drowsiness and nausea ARE potential side effects
of bonine.

Now she doesn't take anything. And although she occasionally feels a bit
off, she has found that making sure she doesn't have an empty stomach is the
best prevention. Also, ginger does help her.

So don't tell me that EVERYONE should take bonine JUST IN CASE.

And yes, motion sickness is a very real problem, but bonine is not the cure
all for EVERYONE!!!! But I'm glad it works for you.

--
Greg

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
As for ginger it is an effective placebo. It's been debunked on the show
"Mythbusters" as well as some medical journals. I don't get seasick;

You are wrong about this - I saw that show and it was just the
opposite. Ginger DID work, as has been also shown in various medical
journals.

They tested Adam and Grant in a revolving chair - both got sick
without any medication.

Rosalie is correct. I also saw this show and Ginger DID work.

--
Greg

Old September 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mary Foster

Tom K wrote:
"Mary Foster" wrote in message

Becca, what is the active life for meclizine? I usually take one Bonine
before boarding, and then never have to take another no matter how rough
the seas get. (Nor do Iget sick doing aerobatics in a Citabria.) I can't
imagine living long enough to use 100 tablets. Do they have an expiration
date?
Mary

Expiration life for the active ingredient is probably about 2 years. But
the problem is that you don't know when the batch was made. Most pharmacies
want at least 6 months of expiration left when they buy it from a
distribution center. So if was recently made, you might have 2 years. If
it was product sitting in a distribution center for a while, it could have
as little as 6 months left.

--Tom

Thanks, Tom. I think I'll stick with the smallest box of Bonine I can
find. I want to have it along, just in case, but even a dozen tabs
would probably expire before I used them all.
Mary