Seasickness

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

Default Seasickness

On Aug 28, 4:01 am, "Gregory C. Read"
wrote:
"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in ...

John Sisker wrote:
Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's like
Dramamine, but without as many side effects.

Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions, I
would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I don't
like taking medicine that I don't need.

From everything I have read here, Bonine is very helpful as long as you
take it before you get seasick.

sue - never been sea sick!!

This is good advice. One of the potential side effects of Bonine is nausea
(go figure), which is exactly what it does to my wife. It also makes her
sleepy ( and this is this non-drowsy formula). So in her case, an ounce of
prevention is a pound of pain.

Might I suggest that your wife take the Bonine before bed? I also
experience the unpleasant Bonine side effects, but have worked around
them, by taking it right before retiring for the night. That way, I'm
sleeping through the (mild, compared to seasickness) nausea and
drowsiness. I wake up feeling fine, and the drug is still totally
effective (the dose lasts 24 hours).

Lee

--
Greg

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article . com,
Peach wrote:

My sister just returned from a "Tiger Cruise" on a big Aircraft
Carrier with her daughter in the Navy. She has never been on a ship of
any kind.... popped a Dramamine the first day, then after she got her
sea legs, it was smooth sailling. heh (Came from Hawaii to California--
apparently there were some pretty rough patches.)

Peach

And they don't tend to spend a whole bunch of money on
stabilizing equiptment on the carriers. (g).
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
clint

The cow and I get a perscrption for "Transderm" inexpensive, and never been
seasick(We are seniors)

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Donald Newcomb wrote:
"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message
Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions,
I would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I
don't like taking medicine that I don't need.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take a Bonine (meclazine
sp?) before you go to bed. The worst it will do is make you thursty. If you
find you don't need it, don't take any more.

How do you know that you don't need it, if you have already taken it?

I would guess most people can tolerate Bonine, but for some it will make
them very sleepy or have other side effects. Not everone can pop a pill
without problems.

sue
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"clint" wrote:

The cow and I get a perscrption for "Transderm" inexpensive, and never been
seasick(We are seniors)

Technically, in case anyone wants to ask their docs, you are getting
transderm scopolamine. Transderm is the patch-based TRANSDERMal delivery
system.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom K wrote:
Sue...

From someone who gets seasick...

Ginger may calm the stomach after you've thrown up.

But seasickness is all in the inner ear. Ginger's calming effect on your
stomach... well... I'm not sure that's going to work on the inner ear.

I know many people who have taken ginger at the first sign of
seasickness and it stops it for them. It may not work for you, but it
does work for many others.

sue
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom K wrote:

Sue... the operative words are "medicine you don't need"... maybe for you...
but for someone who gets seasick... it's something you desperately need.

Tom, you know you get seasick and I have seen you take your bonine
before we even sail(grin). You "know" you get seasick, so you should
take it ahead of time. The OP doesn't know if he will get seasick or
not, so for him to take it "just in case" seems foolish.

Sisker's right. Bring the Bonine.

I have no problem with someone bringing it in case they need it. IMO for
anyone who doesn't have a history of sea sickness, I think trying ginger
first is more logical and safer.

sue
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom K wrote:

I love how everyone who doesn't get seasick has all kinds of advice about
not taking anything you don't need to, or how they don't think you'll need
it...

GET REAL... seasickness is VERY REAL FOR MANY PEOPLE. Don't simply dismiss
it because you don't need it. That's like telling someone with an ear
infection not to take their anti biotic because you don't have an ear
infection, and therefore you don't need it..

Geez Tom, maybe my doctor should not give me advice about my asthma
since he doesn't have asthma himself.lol

No one is dismissing the fact that some people have a very real problem
with seasickness. I know many who do and you are one of those people.

I still think that someone who has never had any form of motion sickness
in the past should try something natural like ginger first. If it
doesn't work for them, then move on to things like Bonine.

sue

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Tom K wrote:

Sue... the operative words are "medicine you don't need"... maybe for
you...
but for someone who gets seasick... it's something you desperately need.

Tom, you know you get seasick and I have seen you take your bonine
before we even sail(grin). You "know" you get seasick, so you should
take it ahead of time. The OP doesn't know if he will get seasick or
not, so for him to take it "just in case" seems foolish.

I missed the earlier part of this, so I am just chiming in for a
general disclaimer. The problem is not seasickness, as much as it is
motion sickness. So, if one has problems in a car, plane, train, etc.,
then it seems likely enough that they will get sick on the ship, that
taking something as a preventative is warranted. History is also
important.

Sisker's right. Bring the Bonine.

I have no problem with someone bringing it in case they need it. IMO for
anyone who doesn't have a history of sea sickness, I think trying ginger
first is more logical and safer.

Depends, again on the history. If they are prone to motion sickness
that is more than just a little "upset stomach:, I would suggest that
ginger is not likely enough to take care of the problem and that
"regular" medicines would be the better idea. Especially since it is
easier to stop motion sickness in the first place, than treat it after
it starts.
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Jay Furr wrote:

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

So far, I have never been sick on a cruise ship, but I have been sick on
smaller ships. My parents have taken us on boats since I was a baby, and
I would get sick most of the time. I stopped boating, when I was about
about 11, because I could not take it. I still got into small boats on
lakes, but no big boats out into deep water.

I tried meclizine, ginger capsules and ginger ale. Meclizine worked,
but the ginger capsules and the ginger ale did not work for me. I tried
the ginger capsules and the ginger ale with 12 people in this newsgroup.
We went scuba diving together, and about half of us were sick. I was so
sick, I could not do the 2nd dive. I had to go back to using meclizine.

If you try meclizine, use it at home, first, before you cruise. Make
sure you are OK with it before you try to use it on the ship.

Please come back and let us know! I am looking forward to hearing all
about it.

Becca