New photos of Miracle

Old February 16th, 2004, 11:57 PM
E.k.R.

Default New photos of Miracle

Lindsay,
You hit this right on. If every passenger wanted the elegance of Seabourn
or the tradition of Holland America why would Carnival spend the millions it
does every year to keep each brand separate and with it's own identity? As
CC stated earlier, "Las Vegas sells" and that is exactly it. People LOVE
exotic theme type hotels and ships where they feel they are escaping
reality. Why do you think Disney is so popular even with adults?

While MIRACLE and the other Carnival ships may not be to everyone's taste,
I'm sure glad we have them. They are interesting and nothing like all the
other ships at sea. If you want elegant and tasteful, you have tons of
choices. Likewise if you want homogenized and generic interiors. Look no
further then Princess Cruises. They are as safe as you get in the decor
department. "Boring" might be a better word.

Ernie - who BTW loves Celebrity's "stark" interiors! They are my favorite
afloat.... but I certainly appreciate Carnival's too!

"Linsifer" wrote in message
But, Tom, this ship isn't supposed to be an elegant Seabourn ship.

Remember
their logo. "Fun ship"? It's still a Carnival ship, after all. And, while

it
does kind of jump out at you, it's certainly nothing like the neon of

ships
past. No, it wouldn't be my preference for decorating my home, but then I
wasn't planning on LIVING on it. A week I can handle with no problem.

Lindsay --------- who doesn't agree that it's "hideous" looking. I would
rather have this than the stark, sharp-edged Euro-modern look of some of

your
Celebrity ships.

Old February 17th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Benjamin Smith

Linsifer wrote:

Lindsay --------- who doesn't agree that it's "hideous" looking. I would
rather have this than the stark, sharp-edged Euro-modern look of some of your
Celebrity ships.

This is not a Celebrity thread but much of Celebrity's decor is art-deco
inspired, especially areas done by Birch Coffey (Century's dining room
and all of the dining rooms on the Millennium ships as well as other
areas) and very much a modern interpretatio of a period style, often
1920s-1940s. The more sharp-edged Euro-modern look is the Scandinavian
styled work of AMK.

Ben S.
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Benjamin Smith

Tom & Linda wrote:

Lookint at the pictures of the ship... it looks like a nightmare in sensory
overload.

What exactly is the point? Why not focus on "attractive things" like
elegant marble and nice paneling? The corporation obviously knows how to do
it since they have the beautiful, elegant Seabourn ships.

Different purpose to the product line.

Why does it have to be so hideous looking?

Does anyone actually think that it adds to the overall week-long experience?
Or is it something that you have to ignore for the week.

Some Carnival fans love it. Some sail for the Carnival product but don't
really care for the decor but put up with it. Some like some areas and
find other areas a bit much.

What is exactly the point? Is it something that only I don't get?

Maybe other people's brains work different than mine does... but I don't
find anything "nice" about it.

In the pyschology of decor, Farcus's type of decor is designed to
stimulate. It's Las Vegas Farcus style.

I find some of it silly, I think whimsical can be done differently and
in a more economical manner. I don't like Farcus means of design and
would like to see Carnival use another designer at least for one ship.

Ben S.

--Tom

"E.k.R." wrote in message
news
After viewing the first photos a couple weeks ago I was a bit skeptical.
Having now studied these photos I find the ship very interesting. There

are

of course some things I don't like, but all in all I think MIRACLE looks
quite interesting. There is a lot of detail work that went into many of

the

areas.

While MIRACLE does not look like a "luxury liner" by any means, she does
look original and I for one would sail on her. She certainly can't be
confused with any other ship on the high seas today! Even the VERY red
dining room is growing on me! The lido buffet restaurant is downright
elegant, and the Mad Hatter's lounge is a gem.... right out of Disney. I
don't think I will ever like the Frankenstein style light fixtures
throughout the atrium and promenade though. They look a little too
cartoon-ish for my liking, and there are too many of them.

Ernie

Old February 17th, 2004, 12:29 AM
E.k.R.

Farcus is to Carnival as apple pie is to America. Why mess with a formula
for success? Carnival considers the Farcus inspired interiors a major key
to their success, and he has designed every Carnival ship since the
FESTIVALE. Apparently Farcus does not even have to get Arison's approval
for his designs anymore as he is that trusted. He knows the Carnival
product and what makes it tick. If you want a non-Farcus designed ship,
there are plenty of choices available to you, just not on Carnival. I think
Farcus will eventually go down in design history, years to come for now. I
doubt many will remember the interiors of Princess, NCL, or even Celebrity
40 years from now, I bet the interiors of Carnival will be remembered!
There is even a catch phrase regarding his work... "Farcutecture".

Ernie

Old February 17th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Tom & Linda

I'm not trying to say every line needs to be elegant. That wouldn't make
any sense.

But do they need to be SO off the wall?

I haven't been to Las Vegas in many years, but in looking at movies of Vegas
like Ocean's 11, I don't see the unusual things there that I saw in the
photos of Miracle. The Bellagio (unless they were all fake scenes filmed
inside a studio) looked very gorgeous and stylish, nothing like the
Miracle. And inside scenes of the Venetian from shows in Travel Channel
don't look unusual like the Miracle. At least not from what I've seen.

Do the Disney resorts and ships look anything like the Miracle inside? I
don't think the ships do from pictures I've seen.

I can understand escape from reality... but why so unusual? I honestly
don't understand it.

--Tom

Old February 17th, 2004, 12:55 AM
E.k.R.

I think people that cruise Carnival want the ships to be off the wall. Many
lead rather boring and monotonous day to day lives and want a little
excitement when they go on vacation. The design of Carnival ships is
basically "entertainment architecture". It is meant to stimulate the senses
at every turn and appeals especially at night when the ship's really comes
to life. It is not meant to be soothing or relaxing as that is not what a
"Fun Ship" is all about (although you can find those areas if you look hard
enough!).

Like I said, there are so many other ship choices if you want subdued,
eclectic, boring, traditional, art deco, etc. Let Carnival have it's niche
too, and if that is "off the wall", so be it.

Ernie

Old February 17th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Benjamin Smith

E.k.R. wrote:

Farcus is to Carnival as apple pie is to America.

Problem number one. Apple pie isn't defining America anymore. Remember
an advertising tune with the words "baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and
Chevrolet". I'd dare say Toyota and Honda, even Subaru, can now replace
Chevrolet. Public is fickle.

Why mess with a formula
for success?

Because it can get stale, which is exactly what I'm looking at with the
new Farcus creations. Yes, the Spirit formula was somewhat interesting
at first but I'm seeing a lot of repetition, albeit in a different
theme, in this iteration of Farcus output. These will get just as stale
as the Fantasy and Destiny class in a number of years. I don't see
anything enduring in these ships. They're new. I don't think they'll
satisfy for years.

Carnival considers the Farcus inspired interiors a major key
to their success, and he has designed every Carnival ship since the
FESTIVALE. Apparently Farcus does not even have to get Arison's approval
for his designs anymore as he is that trusted. He knows the Carnival
product and what makes it tick. If you want a non-Farcus designed ship,
there are plenty of choices available to you, just not on Carnival.

Yes, but, if Carnival wants me, Karen, Tom K. and some others to
seriously consider their product, and I know plenty people who sail who
can't stomach Carnival's ships, one ship designed by someone other than
Farcus could at least give Carnival an idea of how much they could
expand their market by offering something that doesn't have Farcus's
heavyhanded design signatures.

I think
Farcus will eventually go down in design history, years to come for now. I
doubt many will remember the interiors of Princess, NCL, or even Celebrity
40 years from now, I bet the interiors of Carnival will be remembered!
There is even a catch phrase regarding his work... "Farcutecture".

I don't agree at all. I don't think must people care about old Farcus
creations and when they talk about them it is not in a positive way.
While a ship like Celebrity's Century is well respected and has much
appeal due to its elegance and sense of timelessness. Ships like the
Radisson Diamond will stand out due to their uniqueness, other ships
will be endearing as well. I don't hear many people talking about Farcus
ships of the mid90s as classic vessels or desired vessels. Most would
rather sail the newest ships because they are "toned down".

I think Farcus may go down in design history, and I think it may be that
he is somewhat ridiculed for what some will regard as tackiness,
over-the-top heavyhandedness as opposed to something more complimentary.

The public is fickle. Carnival can fall out of favor. Their ships (and
extended product) may be seen as not too hip or desirable one day,
especially if the public gets fun alternatives that aren't as extreme
and that becomes "in".

Ben S.

Old February 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Linsifer

I agree with you about Princess. Do they design all their ships to look
basically the same because their passengers feel safe in knowing they won't
need to deal with change or variety? There must be some rhyme to their reason
and this is an explanation that seems to work for Princess just as Carnival's
"unique" themes have their own draw.

Lindsay -------------- who was in awe of Star Princess when I stepped aboard
and then when I saw much of the same decor on the even older Sun, I wondered if
this was what I should expect from now on with Princess. Does anyone know if
the new Diamond and Sapphire will look as similar?

Subject: New photos of Miracle

Old February 17th, 2004, 01:51 AM
fmomoon

Gordon wrote in message
Here is a link to a website that has over 200 photos of the new Carnival
Miracle.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/

Scroll down once page loads and click on slide show.

Gordon

I didn't have the patience to see all 234 shots (!), but what I saw looked
interesting. Helsinki in winter..brrrrrrr!
--
Monica
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. (Woody Allen)