Back from NCL Dawn 8/21

Old August 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:22:26 GMT, Cathy Kearns wrote:

What I don't understand is on land I often dine out at establishment where
dress ranges from jeans and polo shirts to Armani suits and even the
occasional tux (Spagos comes to mind),

Hotshot BIL of mine took us to Spagos, he got Puck his Visa or some such.
Got to watch a very smashed to the gills Carol Channing drop lobster
ravioli down the front of her $1,500 dress.

She never flinched.

--
"I've learned to say "**** 'em if they can't take a joke" in 6 languages."
-CC
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Benjamin Smith

LeeNY wrote:

Second of all, people (not all people), from all strata
of society enjoy dressing up...not because it makes them feel rich and
snooty, but because it makes them feel good to look good, and it's fun.

I think dressing is an expression, a way of just looking different, a
way of feeling different in the sense that silk feels a lot different
than denim on one's skin, a way of complementing a certain mood and
ambiance, a way of enhancing one's own appearance, a way of being in or
out of uniform, a mood, and so many other things.

What I would like from people is first realize an observation for what
it is. If someone says the car is green, the seats are leather, there
was a few scratches on the dashboard it is different than saying the
care was an ugly green, the seats a smelly leather, and some disfiguring
marks were on the dashboard showing it was in poor repair. One is an
descriptive observation, the other a judgment.

The way people dress, in my opinion, affects an atmosphere. It goes with
the noises, smells, lighting, decoration, and overall attitude that are
components to a "feel" in a particular place. Dressing down can be as
out of place to someone wanting a certain feel as dressing up. If one
goes to a sports memorobilia gathering in a casual environment then a
tux will be considered by some out of place. If one goes to a place with
crystal chandeliers, fine crystal and china, impeccably set tables,
where a string-quartet is located playing wearing doo-rags and baggy
pants some may consider this out of place. To those that don't consider
either out of place and dress and other components of environment are
unimportant, that's your perspective. Others may have a different
perspective.

Ben S.
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Becca

You have a good, healthy attitude, Candace. Most of the time, I do not
notice what other people are wearing, unless it is eye-catching. Maybe
I am in a world of my own, who knows.

Becca

Candice E. Ahmbizzi wrote:

Lee,
It wasn't the desire to dress up that I have a problem with. It's a nice
thing for people who enjoy it. I also don't condone people wearing shorts
on formal night in the main dining room, really. Honestly, though, it's
really not an issue for me. I'd be hard pressed to think of an occasion
that I've noticed such things. I focus my vacation time on more important
things. My problem is with the people who book cruises and get put off by
OTHER passengers who don't enjoy the same type of dress they do. Seems like
a huge waste of energy, IMO. But to each his own.

And, what's wrong with wanting caviar on a french fry budget? I mean,
isn't that close to what we get on mass market cruise lines now? Maybe
not caviar per se, but escargot, lobster tails, filet mignon, etc. for
sure.

You're setting yourself up for a bad time if you have very specific ideas
about the age of passengers and attire of fellow guests aboard, that's why.
Makes no sense to me. Never will.

Dress up all ya want! Really! I'm glad it put smiles on the faces of those
who enjoy it. I enjoy it too, every once in a while. I just concern myself
with making my vacation a nice experience and don't even notice what others
around me wear. In the grand scheme of things, it's just not that big of a
deal. Sometimes I think that looking for reviews on cruises I (or others)
may be interested in taking, get tarnished by this kind of nonsense and may
turn someone off to what might have been a great time for them. My first
cruise was with Carnival and it almost wasn't because I read nothing but
horror stories about the food, service, and general "tackiness" of the line.
Fortunately, I did it anyway and had a great time with my family. Great
food, fantastic personalized service, and cabins clean as a whistle every
time I slipped out for 20 minutes. I've come to realize that some people
just aren't ever happy and there IS an "element" in the cruising community
that gets off on poo-pooing every detail to try to inflate already
over-stuffed egos.
Your milage may vary, I suppose. I much prefer to look on the bright side.

Happy cruising.

"LeeNY" wrote in message
oups.com...

Candice E. Ahmbizzi wrote:

Hi Candice,

I think there's a common misconception by many (and seems, by you) that
folks who enjoy dresing up are somehow aspiring to be rich and "snooty"
enough to afford the high end lines and are old, which I don't think is
really the case. I, too, could afford a "rich and snooty" cruise line
but don't think they'd be a good fit for me. And, at 42, I don't
consider myself old. First of all, anyone that can afford a cruise
vacation is part of priveleged society, imho. I don't care what your
portfolio says. Second of all, people (not all people), from all strata
of society enjoy dressing up...not because it makes them feel rich and
snooty, but because it makes them feel good to look good, and it's fun.

You're absolutely right, that there are cruise options where you don't
have to dress up - NCL is one of them, and a great option for those
cruisers that have no desire to wear anything more than the most casual
attire. Don't clump Carnival and RCI, the other two lines you mention,
into the same mold...as long as they continue to request formal and
informal dress on certain nights.

And, what's wrong with wanting caviar on a french fry budget? I mean,
isn't that close to what we get on mass market cruise lines now? Maybe
not caviar per se, but escargot, lobster tails, filet mignon, etc. for
sure.

One thing you seem to miss is that there are many folks that can't
cruise exclusively (or ever) on the very hgh end lines but don't want
to be deprived of the opportunity to dress up...not to play rich, but
to have fun.

Lee

I heartily agree. I *am* a bit confused as to why, if one was looking

for

quiet, upscale (forgive my french) snooty cruise vacation, one would

book

with certain cruise lines. NCL's whole spiel is "You never have to get
dressier than resort-casual"! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to

deduce

that NCL, Carnival, RCL etc. don't pander to white glove, older crowds.

The

brochures make it pretty clear, in my opinion. If that's your bag, book

with

a more exclusive, high-end cruise line while younger people are in

school.

Makes sense, right? It seems to me that some people just like to

complain,

frankly, and want a caviar cruise on a french fry budget. The

intolerance

of some here is mind-boggling. Does CLOTHING really impact your

vacation??

Really?? Sad. While I can afford it, I don't even look into

"higher-end"

lines for just this reason. The kind of people who gravitate toward

them,

unfortunately. But it's great that we have the choice to cruise how we

want

to.
"D Ball" wrote in message

Hi, Candice or Lori,

I don't presume to speak for Ben, but I didn't read or infer that he

was

offended or didn't enjoy himself.

What I heard him say was similar to how I reacted to a cruise on the

Dawn's

sister, the NCL Star: The proliferation of relaxed passenger dress on

all

occasions produced a "theme park afloat" cruise ambiance that was not

what

I, personally, want to experience while cruising. As you know, some

ships

have dress codes. Some land resorts have dress codes. Call me crazy,

but

there are times when that is exactly the kind of vacation I want. In

fact,

am pleased that the cruise lines I have enjoyed the most--Princess,

RCI

and

Carnival--have dress codes, observe formal nights, etc. NCL cruises

were

that way the first time I cruised NCL. Subsequently, NCL has

introduced

it's

popular "freestyle, it's your vacation, do what you want" concept. I

think

it's a great thing for a lot of people! But it's not for me.

It's great to have choices! It would be boring if all cruises were

alike.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

"Candice E. Ahmbizzi" wrote in
message

I will never understand why one would get offended over how others

dress.

Your vacations are what you make of them and frankly, if you're

worried

about things like the clothing choices of others, you had a terrible

shot

at
enjoying yourself right out of the gate.
Looking forward to sailing on the Dawn, icky teenagers and all...
Lori

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Linsifer

No problem, Sue. I had hoped I would be able to word it in a way that
you would know what I meant.

Lindsay

Sue wrote:

OK, I misunderstood you and thought you meant that Disney ships only
had venues dedicated to children.

sue

Linsifer wrote:
Exactly. I knew they had those ADULT-only areas on Disney. I

also
remembered how much you loved that ship. So, I was saying if

they or
another Disney-type ship ONLY had KID-areas, that wouldn't work

for
me.

Lindsay

Linsifer wrote:
This I agree on, as well. There has to be a balance or one

might
as well
just be on a Disney-type cruise where EVERY venue and corner

is
dedicated wholly to KIDS. That would not work for me!

Lindsay, Disney has many areas that are dedicated to the kids as

it
should be. They also have many areas that are dedicated to

ADULTS.
There are adult only entertainment lounges, adult only beach

area and
pool. Palo the specialty restaurant is Adult only. IMO it is

easier to
advoid being around alot of kids on a Disney cruise, then on

other
lines when school is not in session.

sue

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Linsifer

Well said, Lee.

Lindsay
*******************

CL Dawn 8/21 Report Abuse

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Linsifer

Now this is ONE statement that is probably truer than many of us care to
think. As you said, from reading certain reviews or listening to the
cliches about lines like Carnival it WOULD tend to make one think twice
before sailing with them. But as we've witnessed with many of the folks
here who decided to go ahead and give it a try...it wasn't so bad, after
all! And, in fact, from reading some of the positive reactions, I would
have to say people were pleasantly surprised at the quality...some
saying it even surpassed their Celebrity cruises.

You listening, Tom? grin

Lindsay

Candice E. Ahmbizzi had written:

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Tom K

"Linsifer" wrote in message
Now this is ONE statement that is probably truer than many of us care to
think. As you said, from reading certain reviews or listening to the
cliches about lines like Carnival it WOULD tend to make one think twice
before sailing with them. But as we've witnessed with many of the folks
here who decided to go ahead and give it a try...it wasn't so bad, after
all! And, in fact, from reading some of the positive reactions, I would
have to say people were pleasantly surprised at the quality...some
saying it even surpassed their Celebrity cruises.

You listening, Tom? grin

Lindsay

So... let me get this straight...

You "only" wanna go on Princesss... but you want "other" people to go on
Carnival? VBG

--Tom

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Linsifer

Now this is ONE statement that is probably truer than many of us care
think. As you said, from reading certain reviews or listening to

the
cliches about lines like Carnival it WOULD tend to make one

think twice
before sailing with them. But as we've witnessed with many of

the folks
here who decided to go ahead and give it a try...it wasn't so

bad, after
all! And, in fact, from reading some of the positive reactions,

I would
have to say people were pleasantly surprised at the

quality...some
saying it even surpassed their Celebrity cruises.

You listening, Tom? grin

Lindsay

Tom replied:

So... let me get this straight...

You "only" wanna go on Princesss... but you want "other" people to go on
Carnival? VBG

--Tom

Now, now, Tom...I didn't say I ONLY wanted to go on Princess. Remember
when I said I would pick the Carnival Pride over the Regal Princess?
And, I would pick an RCI Voyager class over ANY of them. But, I would
love for YOU to go on Carnival again...and at least taste their food.
VBG

Lindsay

Old August 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Benjamin Smith

Becca wrote:

You have a good, healthy attitude, Candace. Most of the time, I do not
notice what other people are wearing, unless it is eye-catching. Maybe
I am in a world of my own, who knows.

Believe me, some of the stuff people wore on the cruise was eye-catching.

But the funny thing about it is, we may all notice different things.
Some may be more sensitive to perfumes, some to harsh or bright
lighting, some to particular forms of music, etc. Very few don't notice
something and voice an opinion about it.

When it comes down to it, we all have biases and preferences of some sort.

Ben S.

Becca

Candice E. Ahmbizzi wrote:

[...]

"LeeNY" wrote in message