The California coast at christmas

Old October 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Bob Allison

Default The California coast at christmas

In article .com,
"sparrow" wrote:

I have looked at the tripadvisor page and found 3 places that are
possibilities:

Deetjens, Glenoaks, and Fernwood.

Fernwood looks perfect, but do you think that the tent-cabins will be
too cold in the middle of winter? I have never been in Big Sur at
wintertime and do not really know what I am in for.

Does anyone know anything about Glenoaks or Deetjens? Fernwood looks
like the most secluded, but I could be wrong.

Glenoaks is about 1/2 mile north of Fernwood. Next to another "resort"
called Ripplewood. Glen oaks is a little more what most people think of
when they say Motel.

Ripplewood and Fernwood are little changed since the '50's Small cabins
with thin walls. Deetjens is nice, but a little pricey. Small cabins with
thin walls, but is the best place to have breakfast in Big Sur. Ripplewood
also has decent food.

Fernwood is the local hangout and has live music on weekends. They have
regular cabins for rent. I would advise not going for the tent cabins in
Dec.

Bring plenty of warm clothes. The weather can be sunny but will probably
be rainy or overcast (fog). We get our rain in the winter, so there's a
good chance of rain. You will be in the redwoods no matter where you go
that translates to Dark & Cold.

Good luck hope you are not disappointed

--
I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet

Bob
in Carmel, CA