Delta's "Zone" Boarding system

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Thur

Default Delta's "Zone" Boarding system

"Treb" wrote...
Totally agree. I found it quite lame.
However, I noticed that if you have business, exit row or bulkhead

seating -
You board first as Zone One.

Don't know about that. And untill now I still haven't seen anyone who is
happy with that zone boarding at Delta. From the forum at
http://www.airliners.net :
Example of zone boarding on an MD88

Zone 1-rows 1-4, 10
Zone 2-medallions/elites rows 11-21
Zone 3-medallions/elites rows 22-38
Zone 4-rows 31-38
Zone 5-18-21
Zone 6-26-30
Zone 7-14-17
Zone 8-22-25
Zone 9-11-13
Greetz,

*no experience*

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
maryanne kehoe

We had an interesting situation happen in PHL on Sunday night----a woman
in a wheelchair was supposed to be seated in the middle of the plane
(over the wing?---can't remember), there is no prioroty boarding for
wheelies anymore and when her zone was called that delayed boarding even
*more*!

Delta's "Zone" Boarding system

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Wed, Mar 17, 2004, 6:18pm (EST+6) From:
(Thur)

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Michael

I agree with the boarding in both front and back. I actually prefer
many of the european airports where they park the plane away from the
terminal, and open both sets of doors. Even with the bus ride, it
seems quicker to get to the terminal. It may actually take longer.
But at least you can get out of the plane faster and move around which
is welcome after a 10-hour trans-oceanic flight.

Michael

On 16 Mar 2004 10:07:00 -0800, (Holden
McGroyne) wrote:

If by "zone boarding" you mean window seat first, then I am inclined to
agree,as the delays caused by people putting the baggage in the overhead
has little, if anything. to do with where people sit in a row.

I have been on AA flights which used a similar zone boarding, and
my experience is that this is an improvement to the usual by-rows
procedure.

If the airlines want to make a noticable improvement in boarding times
they should consider boarding from both front and rear. Which I am aware
will require some changes to the current single jetway arrangement. Those
of you who took flights prior to jetways might recall that it was common to
board and exit from stairs on both the front and rear of the aircraft.