Southwest Airlines website / flight info

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_1_]

Default Southwest Airlines website / flight info

I have never flown SWA so I have a question about their
website / # of stops listed :
I plugged in my dates and for my flight out it shows 3 stops!
yet lists only one flight # ??
On other airlines I'd normally see the flights listed - Like: Flt #123
and then flt #678 if it had ONE stop.
But here's what I see at SWA website:

Stops Routing Flight Routing Details
3 MHT-LAS 897 Depart Manchester (MHT) at 2:40 PM
Arrive in Las Vegas (LAS) at 9:40 PM

It shows no connecting flight info.Would one airplane have
3 scheduled STOPS ? That's not a plane - it's a fast bus !
Same thing coming back:
2 LAS-MHT 396 Depart Las Vegas (LAS) at 9:15 AM
Arrive in Manchester (MHT) at 7:35 PM

The flight out shows 7 hours + 3 hrs time zone change (?) = 10 hours
flight time, so maybe it IS 3 stops. Is this normal for the "cheap
flights" ? Do they have a FF club ? Seems like I'd get a lot of miles
in a hurry at this rate.

Bobb

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maxx

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If you have the same flight number, you will have stops, but you don't get
off the plane. Yes, almost like a fast bus, as you say. They will stop,
unload some passengers, and take on some more. You stay, and ride all the
way through, getting off at your "stop".

As for FF miles, you don't get miles with SouthWest. You get one credit per
trip. 16 credits = one free round trip ticket. That's 16 one way or 8
round trip flights. Your 3 stop flight only counts as a single one way.

SouthWest is OK at times, but check the other Airlines. They are not always
the cheapest way to go.

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_1_]

Thanks for the info Maxx.
That IS what it seemed - I'd just never heard of it before.
BTW , I am checking others but just thought I'd try SWA website for
comps.

Bobb

"Maxx" wrote in message

. ..

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cesar Neri[_1_]

They are almost always the cheapest if you book way in advance. If you book
last minute, they definitely are not necessarily the cheapest.

"Maxx" wrote in message

. ..

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maxx

"Cesar Neri" wrote in message
They are almost always the cheapest if you book way in advance. If you
book last minute, they definitely are not necessarily the cheapest.

That's true. Since I always travel on last minute one ways, the thought
never crossed my mind.

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anonymous[_1_]

When Southwest first entered the California market, I read an
interview of its CEO who said that they were competing with Greyhound,
not the traditional airlines.

At the time, I was used to getting free and very cheap upgrades to
first class on United. Southwest quickly dominated many of the local
markets and I was forced to fly them.

However, in exchange for riding the cattle car, I typically saved $400
on each round trip from Sacramento to Southern California.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

They are almost always the cheapest if you book way in advance.

Booking a long time in advance, per se, doesn't necessarily get you
the lowest tier of fares, though it does mean more choice of flights
and more likelihood that seats will be available at a given price.

Combining such advance planning (usually 14 or 21 days in advance,
depending) with lurking for a *sale* is the secret to really getting
the lowest price.

They also have a downloadable application called "Ding" that gives one
or more short-fuse sales per day. I gather that they use Ding as an
in-house bucket shop when a certain flight looks as though it'll run
too empty at the usual price. As one might imagine, Ding is more
potluck than planning tool, but it has saved me a lot of money on
occasion (prices range from quite good to spectacular).

If you book last minute, they definitely are not necessarily the cheapest.

I would imagine that "things are moving fast on the contract -- catch
the next plane to Houston and call me from the hotel" scenarios are a
major part of Southwest's food chain, just as with other airlines.
They price the tickets accordingly.

They also have some routes and flight-times that tend to fill up (or at
least one leg that tends to do so) even if the sale is notso hotso; the
computer seems to know this, of course.

Old July 25th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_1_]

Thanks folks.
With me this trip's not an impulse thing and I think you're right about
their market : = alternative to driving "there" this week.
I'm planning vacation time so I'll check others ( just found a decent
deal at AA).
I know folks that always get deals from Tampa-New Hampshire. But I'm
only ever checking popular routes where they probably have no neeed to
discount.

oups.com...