Marseille, Aix etc. in mid-July?

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Marseille, Aix etc. in mid-July?

I'm considering a break to that part of France in mid-July. Anyone been
there at that time, and is it a silly idea? Crowds, heat etc. We can
cope with crowds and heat, but would appreciate any feedback from anyone
who has visited there at that time of year. TIA!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Even if you're one of the worst spammers on this group, for once you're in
topic...
Don't know what you're looking for in Marseille, but well...
Mid july is the peak holiday season which runs from mid july to mid august
so there will be quite a lot of people everywhere.
July 14th celebrations bring the local crowds out too.
Heat is strong, but it is nice to get it, especially considering where you
live, eh ?
So if you can cope, go for it, spend your dough and try to speak french for
a change !

message de ...

Old March 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
sid

On Mar 24, 12:37*am, "Runge11" wrote:
[...]

Never mind the crowds and the heat. What you will be overcome by,
unless deaf, dumb and blind, are the cars and motorbikes parked on
sidewalks, and motorbikes being DRIVEN on sidewalks. Combined with the
hundreds of thousands of metal posts, this undulating mass of metal
junk makes the city appear more crowded than it actually is.
Don't expect to take a casual walk in peace.

Old March 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Joseph Coulter wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote in
:

I'm considering a break to that part of France in mid-July. Anyone been
there at that time, and is it a silly idea? Crowds, heat etc. We can
cope with crowds and heat, but would appreciate any feedback from anyone
who has visited there at that time of year. TIA!

Took my honeymoon in Provence late July, fantastic, started my love affair
with France.c Aix is hopping with the music festival and Avignon the
theater. Crowds yes, but Provence does it with a song.

Just to follow-up, we'll fly to Marseilles but fly back from Paris 10
days later. This is mostly because I want to take the TGV, which
probably sounds a bit pathetic, but hey-ho. I'm going to look into
catching an opera or concert at the festival in Aix- looks like I'll
have to book soon for that.