RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Grey Wolf

Default RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:04:13 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Hi Mel,

I have no idea whether it is a test or something more permanent. The
point is they said they are trying to dampen the demand. Many here
say it will dampen their demand so it seems that the test will be
successful if r.t.cruise posters are indicative of the cruising
public.

Hi Ray,
Why would a successful venture (which I guess JR on RCCL fits that
bill) want to dampen demand? Don't restaurants usually expand when
demand becomes too great? If JR is consistently outperforming, say,
Windjammer, why not convert one of the Windjammers to another JR?
Then you theoretically halve the lines (half the people can go to the
JR on the other side of the ship) and everyone gets to eat JR and
cruisers are happy. Or... increase quality of food offered in
Windjammer. Allow fresh-cooked food to be served there. More folks
will visit WJ and less will visit JR.

My point is, there are other alternatives to manage demand than
charging a per person rate. While charging a pp rate might lessen the
demand (I doubt it, because in the scheme of even a $1000 cruise,
$3.95 is not a big deal... if you want JR food, and are willing to
stand in line for it, you're probably willing to pay for it as well),
it will, for certain, add money to their coffers that they are not
getting now.

So to me, their statement is, at the very least, fallacious. If
they'd be honest, and say "Well, we'd like to manage demand, but we
decided to do that AND make extra money off of the pax," people would
not be as willing to pay. If someone were to tell you they're
planning on ripping you off, you probably wouldn't purchase their
products. So fallacial advertising is nothing new... but let's not
fall for it.

I'm glad it's just a test for now, and that from the sounds of it,
won't be happening during my cruise so I don't have to boycott. I am
really looking forward to trying a JR shake, and I just wouldn't do it
if I had to pay $3.50 and then another $3.95 on top of that. For a
family of three, that went from $11.50 for three shakes to $22.35.
For one trip. No thanks.

I suspect, though, that it will not cause very many folks to be
dismayed, other than experienced cruisers who remember what it was
like when it was free. I expect they will make quite the profit, and
as people get used to the idea of paying for it, they will up the
price.

f it adds to their bottom line at the same time as it
dampens the demand, then you kill 2 birds with one stone, as we use to
say in Texas. All cruise lines at this price point are charging for
various alternative dining facilities. I don't think Royal Caribbean
is going to miss a chance to enhance onboard revenue.

Then let them advertise it honestly as a method of increasing revenue
instead of trying to find a way to describe their choice. The fact
that they don't mention anything about revenue implies to me that
they're being fallacious and therefore it's not as innocent as it
sounds... and that implies that really the revenue is the primary
focus.

David
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Grey Wolf

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:27:30 -0500, "Paul" wrote:

If I really hated the idea of the surcharge (as MOST of you do) I'd voice my
concern with RCCL and I'd steadfastly refuse to eat at JR's. You're right,
Thumper (the bunny?), I don't really care whether I eat there or not- but if
this place meant that much to me, I'd buck the system and not eat at JR's on
board. In fact, if I was as emotional about it as many herein, I might even
cancel the cruise and make sure RCCL knew about this. Cancellations are
VERY effective ways of voicing your concerns with cruise operators. Go for
it!

Hi Paul,
Heh, that's a great idea... but I think I'll wait until my NEXT cruise
to implement it. I'm going on my first cruise in less than 2 weeks,
I'm not about to up and cancel it!!!
In reading all about cruising from you experienced people, I got
caught up in the idea of cruising as the ultimate in pampering. I
really am against charging a flat rate per person to eat food that was
previously offered for free... or as someone else mentioned, food that
was INCLUDED in the charge of my cruise.
It *would* be quite something, to book a cruise... and then cancel at
the last minute in protest of increased restaurant prices. But I'd
feel downright evil doing that on purpose knowing in advance all along
that I was planning on cancelling.
Too bad the cruise ship doesn't feel the same way about instituting
the cost increase. :=(

David
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Lee

"MZT" wrote in message ...
Food is not a major part of my vacation but I do have to depend on it for
survival.

Your philosophy sounds similar to Hopi philosophy - they eat to
sustain themselves and for no other reason. Food is incredibly bland
and basic.

I figure, if I have to eat, I might as eat well!!! Why not take
pleasure in a meal, excite your tastebuds, relish every bite?

I confess...I'm a foodie. When I dine out, whether on land or at sea,
I want more than sustenance. I want flavor, creativity and quality.

Lee

If some of the other lines had exciting activities like ice
skating and such that could keep the teenager happy, I would be glad to
"jump ship". But RCI seems to have the best scenario to keep the whole
family happy.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
(DaFlaBear) wrote in message

Between the marginal quality of the dining room food and the extreme
hassle (as a Platinum member soon to be Diamond this really ticks me
off)

Why would you cruise so often on a line that consistently disappoints
in what I would consider to be a very major aspect of cruising...the
food?

Lee

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:29 PM
MZT

Lee,
Don't get me wrong. . .I like food too. But after all my years of travel I
have come to look at vacation food quite differently. Unless I am traveling
to a major city where there is an endless choice of dining, I have come to
expect nothing too exciting in the way of food. Therefore, I use it only
for survival while on vacation. If it is better than dull and bland, I am
pleasantly surprised.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
"MZT" wrote in message

Food is not a major part of my vacation but I do have to depend on it

for
survival.

Your philosophy sounds similar to Hopi philosophy - they eat to
sustain themselves and for no other reason. Food is incredibly bland
and basic.

I figure, if I have to eat, I might as eat well!!! Why not take
pleasure in a meal, excite your tastebuds, relish every bite?

I confess...I'm a foodie. When I dine out, whether on land or at sea,
I want more than sustenance. I want flavor, creativity and quality.

Lee

If some of the other lines had exciting activities like ice
skating and such that could keep the teenager happy, I would be glad to
"jump ship". But RCI seems to have the best scenario to keep the whole
family happy.

"Lee" wrote in message
om...

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Tobie Gerbrandt

The "best" coffee I've ever had, bar none, was at Tim Hortons in Esquimalt
(Victoria). I used to stop there for coffee twice a week on my "milk run"
when I worked for Island Farms Dairy.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
A few years ago in Seattle, while waiting to board the high speed ferry to
Victoria we had a lunch at a touristy/yuppy type restaurant on the

waterfront.
They served a local coffee blend that I think was named after a local

Indian
Tribe. Don't remember that name but it was about the best cup of brewed

coffee I
have ever had, anywhere, any time.

The poached salmon was pretty good also.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article mhp8c.899940$ts4.777076@pd7tw3no, Tobie Gerbrandt says...

Maybe "Nathan's" has an inferior hot dog. RCI does serve "Seattle's

Best"
coffee. I've seen them empty the bag of ground coffee into the

coffeemaker
(on Radiance of the Seas GGC2004). I checked the bag and it was labelled
"Caribe Blend". It was far worse than any Seattle's Best coffee I've

drunk
in their land based coffee outlets.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"PARNAMI" wrote in message

The JR's on RCI also indicate that they serve Nathan's hot dogs. Those

ARE NOT
NATHAN'S!!

Cruising is like being awake, and dreaming!

Visit my cruise page:
http://parnami.tripod.com/

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
DaFlaBear

Paul,
You must not get out much.
I was on the Explorer (twice last year), the Brilliance (December),
Mariner (January) and going on the Radiance on 4/11.
Except for the Captain's formal night, the food is average at best in
the dining room.
We don't even bother anymore.
The so called steak is awful and the dinner rolls are ALWAYS as hard as
a rock.
We go to Windjammer, Chops, or Portifino, or JR's or the other outlet on
the Radiance class ships.
We like RCI for other reasons, but it sure is NOT the food in the dining
room.
If they were a restaurant at home we would never go there.

Old March 25th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Cal Ford

Interesting observation about the rolls being hard. It used to be that bread on
a ship was always good because it was fresh baked daily. Same with the pastries.

For purposes of economy however I think the Florida based ships now just bring
aboard enough baked goods for the week and just heat it up a little before
serving. In fact, much of what is served on Caribbean cruises is precooked and
just nuked for the dinner.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , DaFlaBear says...

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
DaFlaBear

Cal,
Your observations certainly make sense.
I just thought they were getting rid of the previous week's stale bread.
But that, plus what you said is probably the reality of it.
But it is unbelievable that they serve that crap.
I swear, if you threw one and hit me in the head I'd either get knocked
out or you would knock some sense into me.
Either way, it's an abomination.
Am I the ONLY RCCL customer who notices?

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:53 AM
George Leppla

"DaFlaBear" wrote

Am I the ONLY RCCL customer who notices?

I was on the Radiance in January and I thought the rolls at dinner were
pretty good. I did notice they are no longer serving them by putting a
basket on the table... instead the assistant comes around and serves you one
or two pieces at the beginning of the meal. When Carnival switched to this
there was such a hue and cry you would have thought the world was coming to
an end... but nary a mention when Royal Caribbean did it.

I thought the food on the Radiance was just OK... with some dishes being
poor, others being very good and most just average. I did order steak one
night and it was tough. Oddly enough, when I was on the Voyager last May,
the menu was the same but the food was prepared much better.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

r.t.c. Great Land Cruise-Las Vegas http://www.cruisemaster.com/lvbash.htm
Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:19 AM
DaFlaBear

George,
We're going on the Radiance on 4/11.
We'll give the dining room a shot the first night.
Perhaps this new bread serving thing may make it fresher.
We'll see.