RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Paul

Default RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

DaFlaBear,

Please complain to someone on-ship about the food service in the Main Dining
Room if it's not to your liking- they do listen and make changes when the
requests are reasonable ones. Also voice your opposition to the JR's fee.
If nothing else you'll feel better about it.

--
Cheers,
Paul

Latin phrase to live by: "Illegitimis nil carborundum"

"DaFlaBear" wrote in message
George,
We're going on the Radiance on 4/11.
We'll give the dining room a shot the first night.
Perhaps this new bread serving thing may make it fresher.
We'll see.

Old March 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi Jean,

It's included in the bottom of my post- I was responding to what Lee

said...

(maybe some newsreaders truncate the thread?)

Ooops! Sorry~~Mea Culpa! That's what I get for not checking top poster's

--Jean

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Becca

DaFlaBear wrote:

The so called steak is awful and the dinner rolls are ALWAYS as hard as
a rock.
We go to Windjammer, Chops, or Portifino, or JR's or the other outlet on
the Radiance class ships.
We like RCI for other reasons, but it sure is NOT the food

It could be, their bread is improving. I cruised on the Radiance, then
six weeks later I cruised on the Mariner. The rolls in the dining room
were good on both of these ships and they tasted fresh. On a few nights,
they also served cornbread, foccacia and banana bread in the dining room.

The fish and the shrimp were very good, I did not try any beef on the
Mariner. Their lobster was not very good on the Radiance or the Voyager
so I skipped the lobster on the Mariner. Out of all the mass market
cruise lines, I feel Carnival serves the best lobster.

Like you mentioned, RCI is very good on some things. Their food is not
the greatest, but I thought they had a very good breakfast buffet. I
enjoy their salad dressings and some of their desserts. If I chose a
cruise line just for the food, I would choose Carnival, NCL or Princess.
The cruise lines with the worst food, IMO, are Celebrity and RCI, but
I can't complain, I was always able to find something to eat on RCI.

Becca -----has not cruised on HAL yet...

Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM
RTCReferee

Of course, perhaps if you have a really great TA, they could give you a
slight break on the cruise price, too? Say $20 off for each person in your
party?

A "great TA" would NOT do this. A "great TA" would suggest you take your
nickel-and-diming-and-time-wasting "business" elsewhere.

If YOU want to eat at Johnny Rockets, then YOU have to pay the fee or fight
with RCCL. The TA should be left out of this particular loop.
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Lee

Becca wrote in message ...
DaFlaBear wrote:
the dinner rolls are ALWAYS as hard as
a rock.

It could be, their bread is improving. I cruised on the Radiance, then
six weeks later I cruised on the Mariner. The rolls in the dining room
were good on both of these ships and they tasted fresh. On a few nights,
they also served cornbread, foccacia and banana bread in the dining room.

I've only been on one RCI cruise and that was back in 1998, on the
Rhapsody. One thing I specifically remember was how good I thought the
bread products were, in the dining room. There was a variety in the
bread basket at each dinner - whole grain, herb, sour dough...funny
that the one thing that I thought was a stand-out 6 years ago now
seems to be a weakness.

Lee
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:42 PM
MZT

No you are not the only RCCL customer who notices. The food is average at
best in the dining room. But the rest of the ship has so many great
activities that I am hooked. I have tried to complain to RCCL but I have
found them not to be very concerned about customer complaints. When I
e-mailed them to tell them that I thought the $3.95 fee at JR's was unfair,
I received a nasty e-mail back from them. So when I go on their ships, I
don't expect to gain too much weight. . .but I have a great time anyhow.

"DaFlaBear" wrote in message
Cal,
Your observations certainly make sense.
I just thought they were getting rid of the previous week's stale bread.
But that, plus what you said is probably the reality of it.
But it is unbelievable that they serve that crap.
I swear, if you threw one and hit me in the head I'd either get knocked
out or you would knock some sense into me.
Either way, it's an abomination.
Am I the ONLY RCCL customer who notices?

Old March 26th, 2004, 10:42 PM
MZT

Paul,
I tried both. Complained about the food and food service on the Mariner.
Food got worse and was served slower and colder. E-mailed RCCL about the JR
fee and received a nasty reply. Just can't seem to win at this one.

Old March 26th, 2004, 11:07 PM
DaFlaBear

Paul,
I NEVER complained about the $4 charge.
If folks don't like it they should either complain to RCCL or don't eat
there. I'm not a big fan of the onboard JR's anyway, even for free.
They all need a good cleaning.
I'm at the point now with the poor dining room food I would rather get
whacked the charge at Chops and get an excellent meal (or eat in the
Windjammer), than attempt to eat an inedible meat product in the dining
room.
Plus the rolls are hard as a rock.

Old March 27th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Gordon

"DaFlaBear" wrote in message
Paul,
I NEVER complained about the $4 charge.
If folks don't like it they should either complain to RCCL or don't eat
there. I'm not a big fan of the onboard JR's anyway, even for free.
They all need a good cleaning.
I'm at the point now with the poor dining room food I would rather get
whacked the charge at Chops and get an excellent meal (or eat in the
Windjammer), than attempt to eat an inedible meat product in the dining
room.
Plus the rolls are hard as a rock.

I have been reading a thread that is currently on Cruise Critic's RCI board
from someone that is currently on the Mariner. He states that JR's is still
doing well but not as crowded. According to what he has heard on board, the
surcharge is hear to stay. I guess the passengers will either have to make
the decision to pay the surcharge or eat at one of the free dining areas.
For me it will not bother me to pay the extra four bucks if I want to eat
there. No different than paying for a drink or two.

Gordon

Old March 27th, 2004, 02:20 AM
DaFlaBear

Gordon,
I agree.
I'll say it again, even though the food in the dining room is not to my
liking I still love RCCL.
There is much more to cruising than just the dining room.
Ice Rinks, entertainment, Ports, the CEO of the
company Jack Williams, the stock price, the C&A program ALL enter into
it.