RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

Old March 27th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Grey Wolf

Default RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:14:44 -0500, "Paul" wrote:

btw- does JR's REALLY charge you the fee if you only want a shake??? That
seems questionable- I would think the drink service is still separate. The
$4 charge only mentioned a burger, fries, onion rings and a dessert from
what I remember.

Has anyone else been on these Voyager class cruises who could enlighten this
thread on what's actually going on at JR's? (I think I'm kind of interested
since Parnami is starting to convince me that not all JR's are blah food-
and I am getting ready for a couple of Voyager class ships soon!)

Hi Paul,
I found the link to the article about RCCL's JR charges on cruise
critic, I hope it's OK to put the link here.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1069

There is a $3.95 charge for the specific meal you mentioned above for
TAKE OUT... it doesn't really specify if, for DINE IN, the charge only
applies if you actually want to eat food and not if you're getting
only beverages/shakes. If it's for the food only, then this charge
isn't as offensive to me as it originally sounded, although I still
resent it for the sake of the cruising lifestyle. Or should I say,
the fast becoming-antiquated cruising lifestyle. Charges for specialy
restaurants sound all the rage from what I've been reading. Unless we
win a free pass, we won't be dining at Portofinos.

The good news, for me anyway, is that this JR test is only happening
on the Mariner and Navigator. If I find out differently when we board
Voyager on the following Sunday (wow... is it really that close? oh
boy oh boy oh boy!) I will post and let y'all know.

David, looking forward to his first Coco Loco

Old March 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Grey Wolf

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:33:07 -0500, "Paul" wrote:

David-

You know, I was just struck by something (ouch!)-

If the pre-cruise info you have (or anyone here has) declares that the food
at JR's is free but the drinks are not (this has been the case until the
"test"), I'll bet voicing your concern (in a calm and even tone- don't drop
the "F-bomb", like I would) with the front desk on board would get you a
free coupon (or maybe a few free coupons) to JR's. It is awfully short
notice for those about to cruise. I've never been disappointed in my
reasonable requests made with RCCL. They even returned vitamins that I
foolishly purchased aboard even though my sales receipt clearly stated NO
REFUNDS.

Hi again,
We are not ones to complain unless we actually are in the process of
being shafted. If we get terrible service (not very likely, from what
I've been reading), or there's a fly in the soup (much more likely, ha
ha), then we will probably raise our voices.
For JR... we're probably more likely just to avoid the place
altogether and not support the charge. This is, of course, if there
is even a charge on Voyager. I'm thinking there's not.

Congrats on going on your first cruise! It is in my opinion, still the best
vacation there is. As for the pampering and your enjoyment- don't let this
foolishness over this JR's business ruin your entire sailing.

Thanks! We've spent the last several years returning to a spot on the
Northern California coast (Eureka/Trinidad area), and are ready for
something new. My gf's daughter is graduating from high school this
year and originally wanted to go to Hawaii... but then seeing the
various cruise ship books changed her mind, and ours. From everything
I'm reading, it sounds like we are in for quite a treat... JR test
charge or not! :-)

David
Who needs tenders and rough seas when pre-vacation jitters do the
trick?!?! :-) 8 days and counting!!!!
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thumper

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:08:42 -0500, "Gordon"
wrote:

"DaFlaBear" wrote in message
Paul,
I NEVER complained about the $4 charge.
If folks don't like it they should either complain to RCCL or don't eat
there. I'm not a big fan of the onboard JR's anyway, even for free.
They all need a good cleaning.
I'm at the point now with the poor dining room food I would rather get
whacked the charge at Chops and get an excellent meal (or eat in the
Windjammer), than attempt to eat an inedible meat product in the dining
room.
Plus the rolls are hard as a rock.

I have been reading a thread that is currently on Cruise Critic's RCI board
from someone that is currently on the Mariner. He states that JR's is still
doing well but not as crowded. According to what he has heard on board, the
surcharge is hear to stay. I guess the passengers will either have to make
the decision to pay the surcharge or eat at one of the free dining areas.
For me it will not bother me to pay the extra four bucks if I want to eat
there. No different than paying for a drink or two.

Gordon

If they got away with it at JRs then ot will surely happen elsewhere.
They will keep chipping away until the customers stop coming.
THumper
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Tom & Linda

wrote:

"DaFlaBear" wrote in message
[...]

But they're already pricing Voyager class ships higher than other ships
anyway.

JR's is one reason that I would re-book that class ship - even at the higher
Voyager prices.

Charging as little as $4 for JR is enough reason for me to say, "Screw
It.... I'll just stick with Celebrity or Princess".

Is it the amount of money? Of course not. It's simply the point.

--Tom

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:36 AM
Charles

In article , Stephan in
Burlington wrote:

As one follows the trend, you will notice that coffee sales weigh more
heavily to the dark roasts as you go from the East coast to the West
coast (at least in Canada).

It used to be a very regional thing, but generaly stronger on each
coast and weak between the coasts. Starbucks has changed all that. Is
Starbucks in Canada? Around here in the urban areas you might find
three Starbucks within two or three blocks. There are two in my
neighborhood about a block and a half apart.

I never could tell on most cruise ships if the coffee was strong or
weak. I think probobly use coffee that mostly cheap beans.

--
Charles
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:39 AM
Charles

In article , Charles
wrote:

I think probobly use coffee that mostly cheap beans.

That is I think they buy coffee this is mostly cheap beans.

--
Charles
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:58 AM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Charles
wrote:

I think probobly use coffee that mostly cheap beans.

That is I think they buy coffee this is mostly cheap beans.

--

I thought, that other than the specialty coffee bars on ships, most ship
coffee is make from syrup.

--Tom

Old March 31st, 2004, 04:07 AM
Charles

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

I thought, that other than the specialty coffee bars on ships, most ship
coffee is make from syrup.

I saw them putting syrup in to the machines on Celebrity. I would guess
they use it on the other lines too.

--
Charles
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:42 AM
Dick Goldhaber

The coffee served on HAL's Statendam by the coffee machine in the Neptune
Lounge which serviced the suites was quite robust.

Danni went there in the morning for hers while I accepted what was delivered
with our 6:30AM breakfast.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
. net...

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:57 PM
Paul

Maybe I just have a better TA then you do- she'd be really upset if RCCL
actually took something back that they guaranteed. (But I can't find
anything in my RCCL docs that says that JR's is guaranteed free- so the
point is moot)

I can't say that my TA would definitely take care of this, but she would
probably lean on her contacts at RCCL to rectify this in my favor. (i.e.,
food vouchers for JR's)

--
Cheers,
Paul

Latin phrase to live by: "Illegitimis nil carborundum"

"RTCReferee" wrote in message
Of course, perhaps if you have a really great TA, they could give you a
slight break on the cruise price, too? Say $20 off for each person in

your
party?

A "great TA" would NOT do this. A "great TA" would suggest you take your
nickel-and-diming-and-time-wasting "business" elsewhere.

If YOU want to eat at Johnny Rockets, then YOU have to pay the fee or

fight
with RCCL. The TA should be left out of this particular loop.