Christmas vs "Holidays"

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Phyllis

Since December 25th is celebrated as Christmas, those who don't believe
in it or in celebrating it should not accept the day off and the holiday
pay that goes with it.

A&T wrote:
We aren't sure when Christ was born, but we celebrate in on December 25.

I wish the people who still believe that Christ was born (whenever it was)
would revolt against the people trying to take it away from us.

Tricia

"jsmith" wrote in message
news:1103081068.f4c58340a6a4fb6c079c5594718575bc@s onicnews...

The secularists have been chipping away at the word Christmas for a number
of years now and are substituting irrelevant (religious ??) concoctions to
diminish the value of the celebration of the birth of Christ. Isn't it

time

we begin boycotting those merchants who in their TV advertising are
exploiting the Christmas tradition yet not acknowledging that this is

truly

the Christmas season. The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Fred

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message

You're both cross-posting AND posting OT without any warning in the
"Subject" line. I'm beginning to think you're either very new to
Usenet or just an annoying new troll. How lucky we are here on rtc if
the latter's the case.

Karen, now expecting an incoming harangue from said new troll.

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

The Yahoo people can add him in with us

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Paul Burke

Phyllis wrote:
Since December 25th is celebrated as Christmas, those who don't believe
in it or in celebrating it should not accept the day off and the holiday
pay that goes with it.

We'll celebrate what the bloody hell we like, kid. It's been Xmas for
the last 50 years that I know of, Yule logs on sale in the baker's
(thta's an echo of the fire we burned the sacrificed virgin in the days
when we could find them) and I'd like to see you giving up New Year as a
purely Scottish holiday.

Fact 1- Bar Yussuf was NOT born on 25th December 0 AD. For several
reasons I can't be bothered going into here.

Fact 2- If the American Baptists had any honesty to their OWN religious
traditions, they would celebrate Christmas by going to work normally and
avoiding the food and jollity banned by the English Puritan Oliver
Cromwell. Christmas is Arminian (or Roman of course).

Paul Burke
Old December 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Paul Burke wrote:

jsmith wrote:

The secularists have been chipping away at the word Christmas for a
number
of years now and are substituting irrelevant (religious ??)
concoctions to
diminish the value of the celebration of the birth of Christ.

Keep your sticky fingers off our Yule. We (humans) were celebrating the
Winter Solstice thousands of years before you traduced the teachings of
Bar Yussuf.

Seconded!
"In the Norse Sagas we are told that boar was eaten at this time of year, and
that it was sworn oaths upon.

"One time Hethin was coming home alone from the forest on Yule eve. He met a
troll woman riding on a wolf, with snakes as reins. She asked his leave to keep
him company, but he would not. She said: "That shalt thou rue when drinking from
the hallowed cup." In the evening vows were made: the sacrificial boar was led
in, men laid their hands on him and sware dear oaths as they drank from the
hallowed cup."

As the boar is sacred to the God Ing (Freyr), it is known that at least one day
of the 12 nights was sacred to him. In addition, Woden played a role in Yule as
the Wild Hunt is said in many of the Norse sagas as well as in English and
Germanic folkore at that time, not to mention his byname in Old Norse of Jólnir."

Hail the Ancient Gods of the N European Peoples!
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org

Old December 15th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

"jsmith" wrote

chipping away at ... Christmas ... substituting ... shopping

I am indeed sick of it. If I hear 'Frosty the Snowman' and
or anything else out of tin-pan alley when I go grocery shopping
I will scream. The commercial crud may force me into going to
the Kosher butcher at Christmas.

But, that's what one gets for trying to get a free ride by
tacking Christmas on the back of Winter Solstice. One always
pays in the end. Was ChristmasSolstice another one of Paul's
idiot ideas or was it Nicea?

Xians don't seem to have any sacred dates of their own so they hijack those of
whatever pagans lands they invade.

Anyone would think that their most sacred time of year, when JC rose from the
dead, would not be named after the Goddess of fertility Oestre with her symbols
the egg and rabbit.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Old December 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Phyllis phyllisnilsson@buckeye-
express.com wrote (in ) about
'Christmas vs "Holidays"', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

Since December 25th is celebrated as Christmas, those who don't believe
in it or in celebrating it should not accept the day off and the holiday
pay that goes with it.

In Britain, you don't have the option. But when I was employed, my
Japanese colleagues made a point of sending me telexes on December 25,
just to remind me they were working.

I have to admit that now I'm self-employed, I still don't do much work
on December 25; the social pressure is really too strong. But last year,
it was the only day of the holiday that I wasn't working. And of course
I wrote IEC 61000-3-2 over the long Millennium holiday. (;-)