Christmas vs "Holidays"

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Surfer E2468

Be nice to give to the unfortunate all year,not just on the holiday.
Also they collect food for baskets for the needy on
thanksgiving,and christmas,what are these poor souls supposed to do the
rest of the year?Go hungry?
surfer e2468

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Surfer E2468

Then how come we still have so many homeless,and starving people?

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Surfer E2468

Then how come we still have so many homeless,and starving people?

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Jos Flachs

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:32:01 -0500, "jsmith"
wrote:

The secularists have been chipping away at the word Christmas for a number
of years now and are substituting irrelevant (religious ??) concoctions to
diminish the value of the celebration of the birth of Christ. Isn't it time
we begin boycotting those merchants who in their TV advertising are
exploiting the Christmas tradition yet not acknowledging that this is truly
the Christmas season. The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

I'm sorry, but where I live we don't celebrate christmas. But we do
celebrate three new years: Western (31 Dec), Chinese (mid Feb) and
Thai (13-15 Apr).

Jos Flachs in: Krungthep Mahanakhon Bovorn Rattanakorsin Mahinthara
Ayutthaya Mahadilokpop Noparat Ratchathani Burirom
Udom Ratchanivej Mahasathan Amornpiman Avatarnsathit
Sakkathattiya A-visnukarmpasit
also known as: Bangkok, Thailand
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:08 AM
CLV3

The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

I myself was raised catholic yet I do not get offended when people refer to
it as holliday or xmas or whatever. Who cares? Even us Christians have
historically stolen others traditions and shaped it into our own thing. Do
you think the Christmas tree is a Christian idea? Hardly. We have all stolen
ideas, traditions, and beliefs. The important thing is the end result is the
kind of effect that it all has on us as a human race.

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:14 AM
CLV3

Get serious. Christians adopted the winter solstice as their own. If you

are
a Christian I'm sure you are aware that Christ was born in the spring of

the
year not in winter. Things like greenery in buidings, decking halls and
decorating trees predate Christianity but have been adopted by them. Palm
trees would be more appropriate as true Christmas trees as a symbol of the
holy land. Snow and all that goes with it is not Christian either.

Northern
tales of elves, reindeer and jolly men in red suits, likewise arn't
Christian. People always adopt local traditions, holidays and pagents as
their own. Get over it and enjoy the holidays for what they are. Remember
there are two s'es in Chri$tma$ and they are both dollar signs! Now go buy
some gifts.
Bob

Ummm last I knew (and saying this as a Christian but from a purely honest,
realistic and factual standpoint) there are NO documents stating when Christ
was supposedly born. Could be any time..... So it just happens to be
December 25th that we celebrate Christmas but his real birthday could even
have been in June.

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:23 AM
jsmith

Three more holidays sounds great to me. The more the merrier. And a very
Merry Christmas to all.

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Clarence

"CLV3" wrote in message

Get serious. Christians adopted the winter solstice as their own. If you

are
a Christian I'm sure you are aware that Christ was born in the spring of

the
year not in winter. Things like greenery in buildings, decking halls and
decorating trees predate Christianity but have been adopted by them. Palm
trees would be more appropriate as true Christmas trees as a symbol of the
holy land. Snow and all that goes with it is not Christian either.

Northern
tales of elves, reindeer and jolly men in red suits, likewise aren't
Christian. People always adopt local traditions, holidays and pageants as
their own. Get over it and enjoy the holidays for what they are. Remember
there are two s'es in Chri$tma$ and they are both dollar signs! Now go buy
some gifts.
Bob

Ummm last I knew (and saying this as a Christian but from a purely honest,
realistic and factual standpoint) there are NO documents stating when Christ
was supposedly born. Could be any time..... So it just happens to be
December 25th that we celebrate Christmas but his real birthday could even
have been in June.

So the Bible doesn't count either. I understand that. But Shepard's in the
fields doesn't sound like the first day of winter either.
BUT; I wasn't there anymore than you were!

Try
http://www.bible.ca/D-Xmas-story.htm
for a discussion on the lack of a date.