Milan to Bucharest by train?

Old November 30th, 2015, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

"Happy.Hobo" wrote in message
On 11-29-2015 13:25, tim..... wrote:
The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one
night and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available using
"global pricing" (which means a single fare including on board
accommodation), though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for
the cheapest solution

Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

The point about the overnight trains is that they were the only options
without multiple changes, some of them in rather strange places (in railway
terms)

Replacing the Milano-Wien leg with a sensible day option is possible

but the Second leg is not, you need a second overnight stop at Arad (on the
that Hungarian/Romanian border) and even then you need multiple connections
per leg.

There simply aren't any through day trains nowadays. The Pannonia express
is no more!

tim

Old December 1st, 2015, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, tim..... wrote:

Replacing the Milano-Wien leg with a sensible day option is possible

If you want to avoid the OBB EC bus replacements,
there are a couple of FUC day trains from Udine to Villach (707 and
1717) where you can connect to the Austrian network. And apparently
there is also a true EC train (EC 30) from Venice to Udine (1742) and
Vienna (2327) but it will travel in the dark.
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 12:43:50 AM UTC, Happy.Hobo wrote:
Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

Late June or early July. Probably stop for a day somewhere between.

Don't care how fast but don't want to spend a lot. I did look at the
fastest route on one site, and it required taking a bus from one train
station to another. Didn't like that.

One cannot even get from Heathrow to Gatwick by train without changing.
Isn't this a bit silly?
Old December 1st, 2015, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 11/29/2015 10:00 PM, Happy.Hobo wrote:
On 11-29-2015 09:55, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:43:47 -0600, Happy.Hobo wrote:
Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take from Milano to
Bucuresti ?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Several legs, either by Insbruck (34 hours) or Wien (30 hours).
Only 2hours 15mn and 20€ direct flight on Ryanair.

Hmmm. That sight offered me nothing the other day. Another site had
too many choices, hence my post for suggestions.

bahn.de today gives me four choices, two under thirty hours that include
three hours bus, and two about forty hours all train. All four go
through Wien. I thought from looking at train maps that I'd go through
Zagreb.

I guess I'll plan three trips of about thirteen hours each.

I also see that flying to Timisoara is cheaper than Bucharest.

Thanks!

Ryanair doesn't fly to Milan. The airport is Bergamo.

Old December 1st, 2015, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 12/1/2015 6:33 AM, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 01:48:26 -0800 (PST), Surreyman
wrote:

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 12:43:50 AM UTC, Happy.Hobo wrote:
Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

Late June or early July. Probably stop for a day somewhere between.

Don't care how fast but don't want to spend a lot. I did look at the
fastest route on one site, and it required taking a bus from one train
station to another. Didn't like that.

One cannot even get from Heathrow to Gatwick by train without changing.
Isn't this a bit silly?

Isn't there a shuttle bus on that route?

I nearly missed a flight, taking that shuttle. Waited ages for one, then
stuck in traffic for what seemed like forever.
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:43:29 -0600, Happy.Hobo wrote:

On 11-29-2015 14:38, Happy.Hobo wrote:
On 11-29-2015 13:25, tim..... wrote:
The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one
night and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available
using "global pricing" (which means a single fare including on board
accommodation), though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for
the cheapest solution

Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there
are other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question,
nor the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

Tentatively, Barcelona to Milan, Milan to Budapest, Budapest to Sibiu or
Bucharest.

Where do I look?

Renfe.es doesn't recognize Milan.

bahn.de doesn't have prices or make sales

eurail won't sell trips, only passes for €510

raileurope.com suggests US$ 125 BCN-MIL, US$118 BUD-BUH, can't find a
Milan to Budapest route

RyanAir will charge me up the nose for a few kilos overweight, and a
hundred euro if their online form is unable to accept the name on my
passport.

etc.

(62 years old, if that makes any difference)

Eurolines
http://www.eurolines.it/Home/59-1-en.html
Option: search trip solution 80 to 100 EUR.
Trip : MILANO - BUCAREST 14/12/2015 16/12/2015 18/12/2015
Departure : 13:30 - Arrival : 22:30
JOURNEY DIRECT

https://boa.busbookingline.it/web/eu...ation/booking/
bestPrice.php
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
nzoengr.vans.vg...
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, tim..... wrote:

Replacing the Milano-Wien leg with a sensible day option is possible

If you want to avoid the OBB EC bus replacements,
there are a couple of FUC day trains from Udine to Villach (707 and 1717)
where you can connect to the Austrian network. And apparently there is
also a true EC train (EC 30) from Venice to Udine (1742) and Vienna (2327)
but it will travel in the dark.

there are two options a day changing at Zurich

and several at Verona and Innsbruck

Old December 1st, 2015, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-30-2015 07:34, Jack Campin wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

I've done the sleeper train from Budapest most of the way to
Bucuresti - problem is, it crosses the border at about 2am and
it'll only just be getting light when you hit the interesting
bits of Transylvania. I'm not sure what alternatives there are.

Ricksteves.com suggests taking a night train not only to save on lodging
but because you compensate for missing rural scenery by having more
daylight hours at your destination. :-) I'm considering it.
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 12-01-2015 05:00, Tom P wrote:
Ryanair doesn't fly to Milan. The airport is Bergamo.

Close enough. MXP and BGY are each about fifty kilometers from the
center of Milan, and places/people/things that interest me are all along
the way. And no shortage of affordable lodging along the way.
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-30-2015 03:30, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

if you want general tips, may be a bit UK-oriented, look at
http://www.seat61.com/

Not helpful; already looked. Thanks for the other two links!

I'm considering the advice suggesting night train not only saves lodging
costs, but gives more day hours for the places I get off.

Though I normally get lodging via BeWelcome.org, AirBNB, or hostels,
where meeting people is part of the appeal.