San Diego Hotel Suggestions

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

Default San Diego Hotel Suggestions

We used to stay at the Catamaran Resort in Pacific Beach. Not affordable on
our budget any longer!
We've been staying at Campland On The Bay in our RV/Trailer. I'm tired of
hauling the thing for 12 hours at 7mpg for a couple of days visit.

We're visiting San Diego in August (I know, Prime Time) arriving on a Sunday
and leaving on a Thursday. Our entire focus for our visit is Pacific Beach
and La Jolla Shores; we visit San Diego to hang out on the family friendly
beaches.

Any hotel suggestions? We don't want to stay in a noisy cheap dump with
sandpaper bedding and paper thin walls and ceilings, but we can't afford the
Catamaran any longer (unless you know a way we can stay there for a
bargain).

I've got less than 2 weeks to figure this out or I'm stuck dragging the
trailer 1200 miles.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

"Chuck Whealton" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Do yourself a super big favor and just go to http://www.travelocity.com
(or your favorite travel website) and select the "Hotels" link. Search
for stuff in San Diego during your dates. Yea, you're probably going
in a prime time period.

I did a search since I'm always on Travelocity anyway. I did it from
August 6th through August 10th for 2 adults and saw some NEAR San Diego
(El Cajon - 16 miles away) for an average of $69 per night. However,
read any review to ensure they're not the places that you're trying to
stay away from.

If you're into winging it, right as you pull into San Diego from around
I-8 (a favorite trip of mine when coming from Phoenix), there's an area
called Hotel Circle with a boatload of hotels that range from the bad
to the good. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything good that was
related only to "Hotel Circle" bookings in San Diego.

Have fun!

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Would you like to tell me about your hotel circle suggestions/favorites?

Old July 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Barb[_1_]

Hi, I stayed in the Red Lion Hanelei (on Hotel Circle) for 3 nights in June,
and I thought it was very good. The rooms were clean and functional, and
many have a balcony overlooking a central park-area with swimming-pool, palm
trees etc... There was a vets function and a wedding while I was there, and
they seemed to be handled very well.

The in-house eateries were also fine.

I'm from the UK, and stayed in a lot of places right down the west coast,
and this was one of the better ones.

Barb UK

. com...

Old July 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

. com...

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I stayed in the Red Lion Hanelei (on Hotel Circle) for 3 nights in
June, and I thought it was very good. The rooms were clean and
functional, and many have a balcony overlooking a central park-area with
swimming-pool, palm trees etc... There was a vets function and a wedding
while I was there, and they seemed to be handled very well.

The in-house eateries were also fine.

I'm from the UK, and stayed in a lot of places right down the west coast,
and this was one of the better ones.

Barb UK

Thanks, I checked it out and it looks good except it's booked solid for my
timeframe!

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Bryan" wrote in message

. com...

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I stayed in the Red Lion Hanelei (on Hotel Circle) for 3 nights in
June, and I thought it was very good. The rooms were clean and
functional, and many have a balcony overlooking a central park-area with
swimming-pool, palm trees etc... There was a vets function and a wedding
while I was there, and they seemed to be handled very well.

The in-house eateries were also fine.

I'm from the UK, and stayed in a lot of places right down the west coast,
and this was one of the better ones.

Barb UK

Thanks, I checked it out and it looks good except it's booked solid for my
timeframe!

contact Penny Realty in Mission Beach and see what it costs to rent an house
for the stay. They have condo's and duplex's available.

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chuck Whealton

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I have no favorites in Hotel
Circle. It's the desolate drive from Phoenix to San Diego that's my
favorite!

I stayed at the EconoLodge which back then I considered SUB STANDARD
(it was the only room left at Hotel Circle that night) and at another
hotel on the other side of the highway who's name escapes me simply
because it was fine as my company booked it for me while I was there
for other than vacation. Let's face it, if it's OK and average we
don't normally remember 'em!

I'd look into California Bill's suggestion about the possibility of
renting a house or similar during your stay. It may be a wiser
economic move and it certainly won't hurt to find out the prices.

Old July 29th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Go to www.localwally.com and go to the hotel section. I'm a San Diego
local who writes the site and I visited all the hotels and picked the
ones I would stay at in the hotel section. It's a nonprofit site so no
worries that I'm trying to scam anyone :-) Anyway, lots of other good
stuff there too. I just updated it this summer, so all restaurant
reviews and attraction recommendations are new and up to date.

Thanks - hope that helps.

Wally

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I stayed in the Red Lion Hanelei (on Hotel Circle) for 3 nights in
June, and I thought it was very good. The rooms were clean and
functional, and many have a balcony overlooking a central park-area with
swimming-pool, palm trees etc... There was a vets function and a wedding
while I was there, and they seemed to be handled very well.

The in-house eateries were also fine.

I'm from the UK, and stayed in a lot of places right down the west
coast, and this was one of the better ones.

Barb UK

Thanks, I checked it out and it looks good except it's booked solid for
my timeframe!

contact Penny Realty in Mission Beach and see what it costs to rent an
house for the stay. They have condo's and duplex's available.

I actually called them already. Our timeframe doesn't fit theirs; we don't
arrive and depart according to their summer schedule (Saturday to Saturday).

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

[...]

Thanks, Charles. I'll keep checking on Barb's suggestion of Hanalei Bay Red
Lion. Calif Bill's suggestion is also good, but we don't match Penney's
arrival/departure criteria. It looks like we'll be dragging our trailer all
the way down and back (could be worse).

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bryan[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Go to www.localwally.com and go to the hotel section. I'm a San Diego
local who writes the site and I visited all the hotels and picked the
ones I would stay at in the hotel section. It's a nonprofit site so no
worries that I'm trying to scam anyone :-) Anyway, lots of other good
stuff there too. I just updated it this summer, so all restaurant
reviews and attraction recommendations are new and up to date.

Thanks - hope that helps.

Wally

Thanks Wally, I'll check it out.