fuel thirsty beast (747)

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Default fuel thirsty beast (747)

saw that Virgin was testing a biofueled 747.

was curious at just how much one of those large machines does consume

1 gallon (4 liters) of fuel every second or 6 pounds
60 gallons per minute (360 pounds)
3600 gallons per hour or (21,600 pounds)
on a 10 hour flight that would be 36,000 gallons (216,000)

Boeing says a 747 burns 5 gallons of fuel for every mile traveled

anyone have figures on what or how much fuel the new AB (airbus) burns ??
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

JA_MORAN wrote:

saw that Virgin was testing a biofueled 747.

was curious at just how much one of those large machines does consume

1 gallon (4 liters) of fuel every second or 6 pounds
60 gallons per minute (360 pounds)
3600 gallons per hour or (21,600 pounds)
on a 10 hour flight that would be 36,000 gallons (216,000)

Boeing says a 747 burns 5 gallons of fuel for every mile traveled

Your numbers don't match.
1 gal per second is 5 gals in 5 seconds.
Your statement indicates the plane is flying one mile in 5 seconds, or
12 miles per minute, or 720 MPH.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

Boeing says a 747 burns 5 gallons of fuel for every mile traveled

So over, say, a 5,000 mile flight, just to make the math
simple, it'll burn 25,000 gallons. Divide that by, say, 400
passengers (we won't assume the thing is full), and you have
62.5 gallons each.

5,000 miles/62.5 gallons = 80 passenger-MPG.

Not so fuel thirsty after all, from that perspective.

Even if we assume your figures for a 10 hour flight
(36,000 gallons) covered the same 5,000 miles, it's still
55.6 MPG, which puts the 747 (on a passenger-mile
basis) right up there with the most efficient cars
currently on the road.

And as far as I know, I still can't drive a Prius to
Tokyo from San Francisco....:-)

Bob M.

Old February 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P

JA_MORAN schrieb:
saw that Virgin was testing a biofueled 747.

was curious at just how much one of those large machines does consume

1 gallon (4 liters) of fuel every second or 6 pounds
60 gallons per minute (360 pounds)
3600 gallons per hour or (21,600 pounds)
on a 10 hour flight that would be 36,000 gallons (216,000)

The calculator at this site http://www.atlasaviation.com/ converts 3600
gallons to 24426 lbs of Jet Aviation fuel.
21,600 lbs would be the weight for 3600 gallons of Avgas.

Old February 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Bob Myers wrote:

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

Boeing says a 747 burns 5 gallons of fuel for every mile traveled

So over, say, a 5,000 mile flight, just to make the math
simple, it'll burn 25,000 gallons. Divide that by, say, 400
passengers (we won't assume the thing is full), and you have
62.5 gallons each.

5,000 miles/62.5 gallons = 80 passenger-MPG.

Not so fuel thirsty after all, from that perspective.

Even if we assume your figures for a 10 hour flight
(36,000 gallons) covered the same 5,000 miles, it's still
55.6 MPG, which puts the 747 (on a passenger-mile
basis) right up there with the most efficient cars
currently on the road.

And as far as I know, I still can't drive a Prius to
Tokyo from San Francisco....:-)

As soon as the DOD's Strategic Tunnel is built, it won't be that hard if
employed by the military.
The Atlantic one, finished last summer, enabled my family to take the
Hummer to France.