UA $75 paper ticket fee. What the &@#$!!!!

Old February 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default UA $75 paper ticket fee. What the &@#$!!!!

Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United
charges $75 for paper tickets. My reply is that I am fine e-ticket and
don't think I should have to pay him for the outrageous fee. His
response is that United in the past has had problems finding his e-
ticket reservation and so he now always gets a paper ticket. I don't
fly that often, but when I seem to have no problems with my
reservation and I always have an e-ticket.

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?
Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

HBS
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message
Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United
charges $75 for paper tickets. My reply is that I am fine e-ticket and
don't think I should have to pay him for the outrageous fee. His
response is that United in the past has had problems finding his e-
ticket reservation and so he now always gets a paper ticket. I don't
fly that often, but when I seem to have no problems with my
reservation and I always have an e-ticket.

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?
Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

HBS

I fly all of the US Domestic air lines. I have never had a paper ticket,
and have never had a problem with electronic tickets.

Old February 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Jim Davis" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Never, ever, had a paper ticket? You *are* young! ;-)

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine[_2_]

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?

Good lord, no.

Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

Nope. I usually print out the receipt and bring it along so I have
the locator code and itinerary just in case, but it's been a very long
time since I've had to use it to check in.

By the way, aren't paper tickets going away completely sometime in the
next year?

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

"Jim Davis" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I guess I was too hasty in my answer. It's been so long since I've seen a
paper ticket, it never entered my mind when I answered.

You *are* young! ;-)

Damn! I wish I was.

Old February 12th, 2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Larry in AZ" wrote:
"Jim Davis" said:
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Never, ever, had a paper ticket?

I guess I was too hasty in my answer. It's been so long since I've
seen a paper ticket, it never entered my mind when I answered.

Likewise. I don't think I've held a paper ticket within the past 7-8
years.

------------
Our last time was three years ago. Expedia sent us tickets for a flight
in Italy (Venice to Rome). But then, AirOne's flight schedule changed,
so the printed flight # did not even exist.. we had to get them rewritten
at the Venice airport. For me, e-tkts are far more preferable.

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

John Levine wrote:

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?

Good lord, no.

I agree.
In fact, passengers are far more likely to lose a paper ticket that
airlines are to lose an electronic ticket.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

By the way, aren't paper tickets going away completely sometime in the
next year?

Yes, and no!

IATA will stop supplying paper tickets to agencies in the middle of the
year. However, the airlines will continue to issue some paper because
there are (less that 1 percent) transactions that can't be done on an ET.
e.g. ET are limited by decree to 16 flight coupons so if you want a ticket
with more than 16 coupons you get paper.

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Feb 11, 2:48*pm, wrote:
Hi again all

I just found out from my friend that has been making all of our travel
plans through American Express on the internet for our Hawaiian trip
that I owe him $75 above the ticket price/taxes. He says that United
charges $75 for paper tickets. My reply is that I am fine e-ticket and
don't think I should have to pay him for the outrageous fee. His
response is that United in the past has had problems finding his e-
ticket reservation and so he now always gets a paper ticket. I don't
fly that often, but when I seem to have no problems with my
reservation and I always have an e-ticket.

Do any of you select paper tickets instead on electronic ones and why?
Do any of you have problems with United or other airlines finding your
reservations when you have an e-ticket?

Although I can understand your friends concerns, I'm afraid in
this day
and age, the paper ticket isn't all that much of a benefit. If your
reservation
isn't in the computer, as far as the airline is concerned, it doesn't
exist.
Paper tickets these days aren't much more than receipts. Yes, in the
dispute with everyone (days later) trying to get your money back,
they can have value. And I suppose one might still be able to use
them to "buy" tickets on another airline if they were full fare and
refundable
and all. But the most important thing on the paper ticket will be the
locator
number (possible some other things like a ticket number that our
billing
department always wants). You don't need paper tickets to get most of
this stuff. The printed itinerary always seems to have everything
I've needed
when there was a problem.